Electric Shave w/Wetshave Technique = BAD!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
snazzyco

Electric Shave w/Wetshave Technique = BAD!

Post by snazzyco »

First, I must clarify that I've been an electric shaver for 8 years or so, which changed just this past January.

This morning I was running extremely late so I thought I'd take a quick shave with my Sensor (my transition piece from electric to DE). Turns out I was out of cartridges. So I look at my electric shaver, which has been resting peacefully on its charger since January, and figure what the hell - I was sitting on two days stubble and needed to shave.

So I'm doing my shave, stretching my skin as if I were wetshaving, but still flying with the electric. I noticed a bit of irritation, but nothing great at the time. Surprisingly, I got a pretty close shave - much closer than I remember getting before I started wetshaving. Guess those skin stretching techniques really do help.

I start rinsing my face - Holy Crap!! It felt like it was on fire! It was almost as bad as the styptic pencil on a nick....but all over!

Moral of the story - when (if, really) using an electric razor - don't stretch the skin for it! Although, I'm sure others may not have had this experience - just thought I'd share.

And, I must say, not having wetshaved today definitely made the day feel different in a wierd way.

-Manish
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

Moral of the story is
"Throw away your electric hacking devices"
jayb

Post by jayb »

Hmmm, I don't want to rub it in, but I had an exceptional wetshave this morning! ATG and all, BBS on my fifth ever DE shave. :P

I guess I am rubbing it in, aren't I?
Justin
snazzyco

Post by snazzyco »

By all means, do rub it in! Just gives me more motivation to make sure I give myself plenty of time to shave properly :)
jayb

Post by jayb »

snazzyco wrote:By all means, do rub it in! Just gives me more motivation to make sure I give myself plenty of time to shave properly :)
Yeah I need to learn to allow myself more time to devote to shaving in the morning as well. :wink:
Justin
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey Manish,

Just noticed the number of your posts. WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Shaving with a DE does take a little time and is not as forgiving as an electric razor (bad word). But with practice, let me say that again, But with practice and the right instruments and shaving products it is a very enjoyable experience.

You can't master it over night. But with experimentation with different blades, soaps/creams, razors, A/S's etc. one morning after your shave you will realize...damn that felt great. (Right up until the AD shows it's ugly head, and then the AS factor kicks in). But that's another story.

And as always...

Enjoy your shave... :)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jbc

Post by jbc »

Most people in these forums are fleeing electric razors. Although your story is not quite as bad as mine is. I stupidly used one sort or another for twenty-five years and never got a good shave out of it. And yes I did use a Sensor Excel as a transition razor as you did. Never found the Sensor Excel to be any good at all.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
ead

Post by ead »

Amyn wrote:Moral of the story is
"Throw away your electric hacking devices"
Yep since I was child, couldn't use an electric, there are worth nothing IMHO
snazzyco

Post by snazzyco »

I actually began/started shaving with an electric razor. I had never used a manual razor until I took the DE plunge earlier this year. I can't say why I put up with it for so long, but something finally gave and I had to get a closer shave.

And of the Sensor - I used the regular one (with two blades). I found the shave to be just a tad closer than with my electric. Granted, my electric was the Cool Shave model (the one with the goo :) ). Hell, I even used a Mach3 and the Fusion just for kicks. I did find those to get closer than the Sensor, but the goal was to transition - not to find a good cartridge razor.

One thing is for sure - the experience of a wetshave is just heavenly!