DE shaving is not cheaper!!!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Zaniix

DE shaving is not cheaper!!!

Post by Zaniix »

Sure it seems cheap at first a used razor for 15$, blades for pennies each, shaving soap that lasts forever, a boar hair brush is all you really need right?

You get drawn in because it all makes so much sense and then you want to try other razors and differant blades and new soaps and creams. Maybe that boar hair isnt enough so you upgrade to a badger, but maybe super is not good enough, maybe you would rather have a finest.

This is not a way of shaving, it is an addiction that has no cure!!!
Yet I still love this place!

:shock:
Chris
Minstrel

Post by Minstrel »

Ain't that the truth? :shock:

I think it can be cheap, if you resist the aquisition disorders. But for most of us, shaving is more than just removing stubble from the face and neck. It's a hobby. And it's ok to spend money on a hobby. :wink:

Having said that, I've purchased four DE razors (of which I use three), and two straight razors, three cheap badger brushes and one really cheap boar bristle brush, some soaps and creams and a 100 pack of the no-name Israeli Personna blades. Given the amount of money I've spent, I have still not spent nearly the same amount as 100 cartridges for a Fusion would cost. :D

Edit: Just realised I've only bought three of the DE razors I have. One was very generously given to me by a member of this forum while I awaited the arrival of my Merkur HD.
Last edited by Minstrel on Wed May 02, 2007 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

Sure is fun though, ain't it?

:lol:
Mike
jayb

Post by jayb »

Sure, but knowing that in a pinch, you can still go down to Walmart and buy Williams soap, those Personna blades along with that boar brush and have the essentials without spending much more than five bucks total is priceless. All you would then need is a razor, which can be found for 10 dollars or so. You show me another way to get GREAT shaves for less than 20 bucks and I'll be your friend for life! :D
Justin
AlBaron

Post by AlBaron »

All I have to say is: "Who cares?"

I used to brag to my friends about how lucky I was, since my wife didn't mind me going for a few days without a shave. I trully considered shaving being a chore, in the same line as wheeling out trash cans on Monday night, or changing oil in my car.
Now I shave every morning, including weekends!!!

So it costs a few cents, dollars, hundreds, thousands more, who cares? :lol:
Alexander
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

No it is not cheaper ....but much more fun than goo out of a can and 10 blades systems
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

On a shave per shave basis, it probably is cheaper. Nobody goes out and buys ten years worth of Edge Gel at once, though, or indeed fifteen Mach 3 handles.

Well, nobody I know, anyway... :lol:
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
ead

Post by ead »

Yeah it cost A LOT !!!
But, I enjoy it, I love the feeling of getting new orders from the post mail and then open it and have a new razor/cream/soap/brush or what ever, and the
BEST thing - use it :twisted:

What is wrong in this?!
Chaps

Re: DE shaving is not cheaper!!!

Post by Chaps »

Zaniix wrote:Sure it seems cheap at first a used razor for 15$, blades for pennies each, shaving soap that lasts forever, a boar hair brush is all you really need right?

You get drawn in because it all makes so much sense and then you want to try other razors and differant blades and new soaps and creams. Maybe that boar hair isnt enough so you upgrade to a badger, but maybe super is not good enough, maybe you would rather have a finest.

It kinda gets to you, don't it :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

DE shaving is cheaper. It's your AD's that are expensive. Buying stuff != shaving.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Actually this maniacal group of individuals just use "cheap" as an excuse to be eccentric. And we are eccentric. And as it was so eloquently put "WHO CARES". Once you are hooked...you are hooked. Oh yes, it is a long and winding road, a huge super nova, and it is filled with twists and turns that are dangerous in and of themselves. Let's discuss some of the dangers shall we. There is Razor Acquisition Disorder, Brush Acquisition Disorder, Soap and Cream Acquisiton Disorder, Razor Blade Acquisition Disorder, Shaving Mug and Scuttle Acquisition Disorder, and the infamous "I don't know what it is, but I gotta have it disorder" the worst kind and the treatment for each is arduous.

Fear not though my fellow traveler, you are not alone...YOU ARE NUTS JUST LIKE THE REST OF US!!!

And as always...

Enjoy your shave...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I think that it is probably more expensive than using a Mach 3 and some canned stuff, but you have to look beyond the cost and ask about the value of what you have purchased.

If you were to resist the urge to purchase brushes, razors and all brushes it would work out to be very economical. One brush, one razor, and one soap or cream. Even shaving every day you would still get more shaves than by using some canned stuff and cartridge razors.

So where's the value? It depends on how you want to spend your time, not money. I know guys that like to get in and out of the bathroom in record time. For them there's no greater waste of time than shaving. I've even seen guys shave on their way to work, with an electric not a cartridge. For me, I would rather take the extra time to shave than to be on my way to work or even at work for those extra few minutes, so that's where the value of wet shaving is for me.
jbc

Post by jbc »

I would not classify it as an addiction, the term typically refers to the abuse of chemical substances. One can be addicted to other things than shaving. I have heard it said that a man may be addicted to his wife or addicted to a particular book or DVD, but I would not particularly use the term addition to describe this phenomena I would use the term pastime. It is also only more expensive in the long term if one keeps on buying hardware, I was doing just that for a while, but not anymore I was out there looking for perfect and I think that I have found pretty much what I was looking for and therefore have little need for anything else.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

I think it's cheaper if you want it to be cheaper. Being a novice to the wet shave world, I only have 1 DE razor that I picked up on ebay and a super badger brush. I've spent probably fourty dollars on creams/preshave in the last year and fifteen dollars on 100 blades. That was all early last year.

Compared to my previous routine, I've shaved for six months so far, without spending a dime. A mach-3 cartridge would last 3 shaves, though I'd use it for a few more, and regret it. The cost of cartridges alone makes wet shaving an economical advatage.

The quality of shave, and the enjoyment from shaving is something you can't put a dollar value on though. THAT is where it has really paid off. I just take that as an extra bonus, and one that is well worth the minor addictions that come from hanging out on this forum :)

I will agree with one of the previous posters though, shaving does not equal buying stuff. Though as a semi-recovered shopaholic it is a great excuse for more toys ;)

-Jeff
brderj

Re: DE shaving is not cheaper!!!

Post by brderj »

Zaniix wrote:Sure it seems cheap at first a used razor for 15$, blades for pennies each, shaving soap that lasts forever, a boar hair brush is all you really need right?

Well admitting the problem is the first step. I personally have a love affair with creams, so much so that if I ever sat down and tallied how much I have spent I would probably put a bullet in my head. (not really, just a joke) With that said I will still buy more and I will never be satisfied until my bathroom looks like Dr. Moss's :D
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Gen. Patton
jaradus

Post by jaradus »

I've found myself able to resist the lure of RAD and SBAD, content with SCAD (which I believe I've overcome by-in-large).

I've found the trick to be, get a razor that you're happy with, and then try to resist other things (like, say Vintage Razor's deal on the new Merkur). Tubes of shaving cream help instead of tubs.

Or, you could always just get another family member onto the wetshaving boat so you've got an excuse to "replace" what you gave away... :wink:
- Holmes
jpolaski

Post by jpolaski »

I'd like to think I'm amassing quite the daily shave collection. I know for a fact I haven't spent much. What I have noticed is that shaving is part of a collection of hobbies I like to group under the heading of the classic gentleman. As a long time collector in two of the sub headings, ie pens and cameras, I find it easy to re-allocate resources to different sections as I see fit without spending much more. The secret: BARTER!

Those hobbies under the heading of The Classic Gentleman include but are not limited to:

Shaving and related ephemera
Knives
Guns and related ephemera
Coins
Watches
Cameras (film, and older at that)
Fountain Pens and related ephemera.

Where there's one of these, there is going to be another.

Has anyone else found this?
"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older."
deman

Post by deman »

It's the thrill of the hunt....Tally Ho!!
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

jpolaski wrote:I'd like to think I'm amassing quite the daily shave collection. I know for a fact I haven't spent much. What I have noticed is that shaving is part of a collection of hobbies I like to group under the heading of the classic gentleman. As a long time collector in two of the sub headings, ie pens and cameras, I find it easy to re-allocate resources to different sections as I see fit without spending much more. The secret: BARTER!

Those hobbies under the heading of The Classic Gentleman include but are not limited to:

Knives
Coins
Watches

TRUE... (At Least For Me, Nuff Said) :wink:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
final_id

Post by final_id »

jpolaski wrote:Those hobbies under the heading of The Classic Gentleman include but are not limited to:

Knives
Coins
Watches

They all relate closely enough to indicate a similar mind-set. And you left out tobacco, pipes, cigarette holders, lighters, etc.: the EBay category "tobacciana."

All these collections are small gadgets that women find dull and plain. It's interesting that none of them is bigger than a bread box. For example, plenty of "gentlemen" are interested sports cars or motorcycles or hot air balloons. But somehow those items don't fit the same category as pens and neckties and wrist watches and tobacciana. A man with a mania for, say, power boats, might also appreciate wrist watches, but somehow his interest in wrist watches is less likely to transfer to, say, smoking pipes, even though his interest in power boats most certainly transfers to an interest in obsessing over bulldozers and backhoes.

Or, to put it differently, if an attractive woman were to display a greater than usual interest in fountain pens or in neckties, cufflinks, and gold plated vintage collar stays, I would immediately ask her to marry me, plight my undying love, and then probably be disappointed to find out that she prefers the company of other like-minded homosexual women over the company of men.

If, on the other hand, an attractive woman were to display a greater than usual interest in backhoes or power boats, I would immediately assume she were not interested in men in the first place, and never make the mistake of embarrassing myself before her.