Two Years Gone By

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Two Years Gone By

Post by rtaylor61 »

Folks,

Somewhere along the way in the past two or three weeks, I celebrated two years of DE shaving. As Robert Hunter said, "what a long, strange trip it's been". Like so many here, I found the Corey Greenberg article and sought out info on Google. My first finds were the two MSN Wetshaving groups. And then SMF. At that time, I had a friend ill with cancer, and I took his mother to the grocery every weekend. I purchased a Surrey Brush and a cake of Williams one weekend. That was it. I was hooked. Tossed the Atra after receiving my first, and still my go to razor, the HD Classic from Howard (HlSheppard). He took a shot that a newbie would pay him. Howard, this is all our fault! Gordon will remember that at the time, QED and Classic were sold out of items due to Corey's NBC broadcast. It took about two months to get my first tubs of Taylor's. So I was using Williams with a shot of Palmolive Lathering Cream. I picked up a Tweezerman and an Omega Boar. And then I basically melted the credit card, buying everything in sight!

So, where am I two years later? Besides still paying off everything I bought in the past two years (just kidding!), buying is more or less on hold. I've learned a lot from the fine folks here and on other various forums. I use a straight razor about half the time. I've collected a large assortment of brushes that I am going to pare down to just a few. I've learned that I prefer soaps to creams, but there are a few creams I don't choose to give up (although most of them are Taylor's, so that could change). I believe that while most of us "old timers" are passionate about shaving, we don't share the passion of the new guys, who are much like kids in a candy store. I've learned that posting here on the forum in the middle of the night while half asleep is not wise, and to anyone I offended in doing so, I apologize.

I was fortunate enough to be selected, and allowed to remain, a moderator here at SMF. Something I am proud of. And as a moderator, I'm still learning. I know I have punched a few buttons along the way, and to my fellow mods and admins, for that I apologize.

To wrap this up, let me say a few things from the heart. SMF is a very special place. We are all here as guests of Vince and the admins. A big thanks to them. And a big thanks to all of the folks who contribute here. For me, SMF is all about having a good time, and sharing information. Who would have thought that a forum about such a mundane topic as shaving could surive? Well, it has, because it takes a mundane chore and makes it an enjoyable experience.

If I had any advice to offer, it would be this. Don't go on buying binges. Try a product until you are completely familiar with it before buying more. I've got more stuff than I could use in a couple of years. What good is that doing? I'm currently not rotating things on a daily basis, and truly learning each product individually.

A final doff of the hat to Gordon and Chris Moss. Gordon has been my guru in many ways, and Chris made available a very informative book on straight razor shaving. Not to mention the Moss Scuttle. These professional gentlemen devote time and effort to this forum for the benefit of all.

Yes, making shaving enjoyable has been a strange trip, but it has been worth every step!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

Who the hell are you ? :wink:

I mean, Bravo :D
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

=D>
Peter
ead

Post by ead »

=D>
Great story, what are your arsenl so far? and what do you prefer using?
:)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

=D>

Thanks for all that you put into SMF, Randy. The forum rocks because of gentlemen like yourself.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Very good post, and it's wonderful to look back with you at your shaving growth (as it were).
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

fallingwickets wrote:=D>

Thanks for all that you put into SMF, Randy. The forum rocks because of gentlemen like yourself.

Clive
I completely agree with what Clive has already said. Randy, Congrats on your 2 year anniversary here on SMF!!! =D> =D>

Randy, indeed it IS the people that make SMF so great, not necessarily the topic of conversation. That is why I think it is still here. I hope it is still here for years to come.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Randy, And a Happy 2yr. Anniversary to you! Glad that that little trick of the dab of Palmolive on the William's soap saw you through til the good stuff became available again....chuckle....would have been a major loss to the forum(s) in the long run, if you'd chucked it in at that point. Personally, I like it that you're often on late at night....so I'm not here all by myself.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I also like it that Randy is on late night, as I go to sleep early, LOL.

Randy, two years? My, the time flies. I wonder how far I go back as I was on Wetshavers just right when it was shut down and the two groups formed.

Sam
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I've only just recently joined and have already been given a lot of great advice both on practice and products.

It's great being here.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Randy, on the worthy occasion of your second anniversary here. I enjoy reading these retrospectives from our "seasoned" members :D

Thanks for your ongoing contributions, as a moderator and as an experienced guide, to quality shaves for the rest of us!

- Murray
4hits

Post by 4hits »

Tomorrow will be my 1 year anniversary here, and essentially one year of DE shaving.

I have learned so much here; yes, about the actual joy and tradition of true wet shaving shaving, but I've learned about and experienced first hand the extreme kindness of strangers.

Although I have only 100 posts to my name, I log on to SMF at least once daily, but usually more often. Many, many thanks to so many of you who post your knowledge, your experiences, and your assistance.

And I have enjoyed buying, selling and trading here; never a doubt as to the quality of either person or product.

Thank you all so very much. =D> =D> =D>
Danl

Blood is a big expense - Virgil "The Turk" Sollazzo
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Gordon,

I failed to mention that it was you who tipped me off about the Palmolive and Williams. Oddly enough, that first tube was the only tube I have ever found in Utah. Found it in a clearance bin at Walgreens. All of the others came by way of Texas.

Sam, I came along after the original MSN group had been shut down, and shortly before the two other groups merged.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Randy---Congrats on the 2 years and all of the help you have given me and many others.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Randy, congrats. I have gone through the same cycles as well and now also prefer soaps. I can recommend the same advice to newbies. Before you "stock up" on a new favourite, wait a while. I stocked up on numerous things thinking that "this is the best product" only to find something even better at a later date.
Richard