Hello to all....

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Hello to all....

Post by Gramps »

Just saying "Hello"!! :D
Just registered here. I have exchanged a few e-mails with Charles at QED and wanted to let you know I'll be around ... reading.
I have been a blade man a long time, but know absolutely nothing about all the products and no clue at all about the 'fragrances'.... never smelled them before.. :roll:
Looking forward to trying some of the products and acquiring another str8 razor in the near future.
Happy Thansgiving to my American friends....

- Gramps (Larry)
~~ Larry ~~
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Gramps,

Welcome to the board!
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hi Gramps,

Welcome aboard! Just post any question you might have and someone will most definitely get back to ya soon. Also, I'll be adding a series of new links and articles to the main home page so be sure to check back soon!

Vince
:::Vince:::
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Thanks for the reply fella's!!
I will likely need some help in choosing my first shaving cream/soap from the "exotic/Gentlemen's" selection....lol

I have been reading all over the NET the last couple of weeks and this seemed like the place to 'sign up' as it is relatively new and has a small, but growing membership. There is a lot of info out there for sure, and I recognise some of your nick's (no pun intended...) from the other groups, but they are already large groups and the archives there are not easily searchable. Soooo..... I would like to 'grow' with this forum, as I am sure it will.
My first shave at age 10 was with a str8 and I used it until I hit high school. Then I used a DE mainly for the convenience. As I told Charles... I have tried some of the 'fad' razors with double blades etc, but always go back to my DE (Gilette adjustable).
I have been using Williams soap for a LOOONNNNG time.... before that Old Spice (which they don't have anymore).
Latlely, I have been using a glycerine based hand/body soap (liquid) and putting a squirt on the brush before stirring up the Williams! It has made a difference. I have been wanting to return to a str8 for some time but that would entail a new razor and strop and..... you know. So I thought I might give attention to the soaps and creams etc first... then go back to the blade.
Anyway.... that's some of my story, I am a 47 yr old Grampa, trying to return to a simpler time ....LOL I even use a fountain pen when I write letters. (Getting sick of this throw-away society we have become).

Thanks again, hope to participate regularly and as soon as I figure out about scents and stuff... I'll be contacting Charles with an order.

Take care.... Larry
~~ Larry ~~
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Wow Larry! Shaving at 10 with a straight!!! I'm VERY impressed!

I'm sure we will all learn a great deal from each other :-)

Vince
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Hey Vince,
I am not sure what I could possibly teach anyone!

My great uncle was a 'freak' about men not having hair on their faces. He shaved 3 times each day!!! When he saw the 'fuzz' on my face he said, "I think it's time we cleaned up that face of yours!" and the lesson commenced.
I loved to watch him shave. He had a farm and I stayed there most summers and winters. He would rise at 04:30 and shave, then again at noon and before supper!. Now, he had a beard like I've not seen on anyone since. His whiskers were as thick as the lead in a pencil! There is no way he could have grown a 'bushy beard'..... when his Sheffield str8 hit each hair, the razor would make a 'tink' sound... amazing to hear and to watch. So, yes at age 10, I had my first shave, then about every 3 or 4 weeks...lol... until I was almost 12 and dad bought me my own Sheffield str8... my grandmother was born in Sheffield!!

There you go, another long-winded bit of history... LOL

Thanks for the advice on the creams too!!!!!!!!!
- Larry
~~ Larry ~~
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hehe....a very cool history I might add. Your uncle sounds like quite a guy! It's great that you had someone to show you how to shave. I'm a self taught guy myself so I've had to suffer for years with edge shaving gel and gillette good news disposable razors! YUCK!!!

Fortunately I discoverd these shaving forums and have since taken my shaving and skin care to a whole new level. I can now look forward to my lil morning ritual instead of dreading it. I'll never go back!

Vince