How often do you use a styptic pencil?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

Every day!
5%
Every week!
18%
Every month!
18%
Every year!
18%
Never!
41%

Total votes: 73

kalle

Post by kalle »

I am interested in how often you use a styptic pencil.

When I shaved with cartridges, I used my styptic pencil once or twice a year, but in my first month of DE shaving I have not had to use it so far (touch wood).
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

Where is option "I don't use" ?

Vesa
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

A-ha!

Vesa
kalle

Post by kalle »

I should say that I have been shaving rather carefully, in the evenings when I don't have to run somewhere. When I start shaving in the mornings I might have to use the styptic pencil a bit more...
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Since i started using an Alum-block i never use my styptic. I don't even know what it's for any more.
Regards,
Jani
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I still have days when I rush my shave that I find I need a styptic pencil. I want to get an alum block though and see what difference there is.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I never liked the styptic pencil. I use My Nik Is Sealed, which I like a lot: liquid styptic in a little roll-on container. Works like a charm. I have occasion to use it once a fortnight or so.
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

About once a month. It seems to be the rule that any new straight razor will nick me at least once during its first shave. Their way of saying hello I guess. But as long as I stay away from Classic and ebay I don't get nicked.
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

I said once a month, but it is probably more like every couple of months.

I use an alum block, but for purposes of the poll, I went with that.
Danny
Bob

Post by Bob »

I nick myself once or twice a year. I use an alum block when it happens.
--Bob--
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

Leisureguy wrote:I never liked the styptic pencil. I use My Nik Is Sealed, which I like a lot: liquid styptic in a little roll-on container. Works like a charm. I have occasion to use it once a fortnight or so.
Thanks for posting this Michael. I didn't know that it existed and I am going to order some. Currently I don't have anything to control bleeding from nicks. Fortunately I rarely get them.
Regards,

jimmy
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

I did use one once when I clipped the dogs nail a little close. Dad always used toilet paper to stop the bleeding, seemed to work!
Steve/Bronco

Post by jAk440 »

I find I use a styptic pencil more often to reduce and eliminate the occasional blemish than I do to stanch a shaving mishap. Those are rare to be sure.
Jordan
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

When I was a Trac-II / Barbasol guy, I used toilet paper flakes to soak up the blood, then washed them off before I left the house. I got a bleeder once a week or so, and of course razor burn even more often.

I bought a Clubman Nick-Relief tube when I first bought my DE gear back in March. I read up on all the good info on this forum and have only had to use it twice in 3 months.
Jim

2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

I don't even own anything alum. Occasionally, when I'm not focused on the shave, I "land" the razor wrong, and the blade bites a little -- twice a year. I sometimes get a drop of blood, but not enough that I'd want to have a specialized tool cluttering a bathroom already cluttered with shave gear.

I believe (can't prove it) that if you need a way to control blood loss, you may be shaving too quickly. Take it easy, mon; enjoy your shave!

--Glenn
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I returned to wetshaving around Dec 2006. Since that time, I have used a styptic pencil once or twice. This is more characteristic of when I am trying out new equipment or supplies. When I'm using familiar tools, it is very rare.

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have had one real razor accident, and for that a styptic pencil was not enough. Other than that I have never used it.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

(I doubt this is a smart idea, but...)
notthesharpest wrote:I have had one real razor accident, and for that a styptic pencil was not enough.
That sounds like an interesting story -- if you don't mind, we'd all like to hear it. Really. :shock:

--Glenn
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

2clfrwrds wrote:(I doubt this is a smart idea, but...)
notthesharpest wrote:I have had one real razor accident, and for that a styptic pencil was not enough.
That sounds like an interesting story -- if you don't mind, we'd all like to hear it. Really. :shock:
Not much of a story. Relative newbie, been shaving just long enough to get cocky, sinks a Feather blade into the corner of his chin.

It made a sound like a dart hitting a dart board.

By the way - don't try that at home. :shock: :?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I found a styptic pencil in my, erm, dopp kit (I somehow feel compelled not to use that term, no idea why). It must have been in there for ages, because I haven't used one in a long long time. I tried a pencil and liquid in my early days as a wetshaver, and was completely nonplussed.
I almost never draw blood when I shave these days. In the unlikely event of a bloodletting, I have never felt any benefit from putting styptic anything anywhere near a nick.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic