OK I just pulled the trigger...Here what I'm starting with..

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
SpikeyMikey

OK I just pulled the trigger...Here what I'm starting with..

Post by SpikeyMikey »

Opinions please....

I'm ready to chuck my fusion...and get serious about enjoying shaving....

I went with....

1. Merkur HD $33 at lee's saftey razors
2. The blade sample pack from westcoast shaving
3. A decent $35 badger brush from C&E
4. Honeybee's Spa Unscented chea butter shave soap
5. A cheap $5 stand for my brush off ebay
6. A cheap $5 Soap bowl off ebay

Any recomendations....on products or where to buy from or the stuff I got?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

All the things you bought should be just fine. No recommendations other than low angle, no pressure, and have fun!
Dave_D

great!

Post by Dave_D »

What youve listed there is about as good as it gets. At some point you may go with more fancy stuff but it probably wont shave any better than what you already have, good choices!

Dave
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

So, did you snag one of the rare and soon to be extinct C&E brushes?
Looks like you are starting out well. Alot of guys start with a boar brush and a puck of Williams. I get consistently great shaves with my HD. :D
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
SpikeyMikey

Post by SpikeyMikey »

I wana try proraso soon...and trumpers too
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Wow, Mikey, great start with an all star list -- I'm curious about the finish though: what do you prefer, aftershave splash or balm?

--Glenn
SpikeyMikey

Post by SpikeyMikey »

I use anthony logistics aftershave balm...truth be told I have been using high end HBA products for shaving, washing, and moisturiaing my face foe a few years now....brands like anthony logistics for men and american crew...this is my 1st try with the stuff I hear all you guys raving about....
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Mikey..you have made an intelligent and thoughtful list of starting tools etc...much better start than I had myself....practice your technique... watch Mantic's You Tube Shaving videos...take a gander at Michael Ham's Guide to Gourmet Shaving (leisureguy) and have fun!
Mike
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

You're off to a great start: very good tools, excellent shaving soap, and sensible purchases all round. Study the grain of your beard for a while, and when you first lather up, the advice above should get you a good shave. And then it just gets better and better.

A couple of additional things to consider: My Nik Is Sealed to take care of any nicks during the learning phase, and (since you're going the unscented direction) Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort shaving cream for when you want to try a shaving cream---though I think soaps are more fun. You might also try at some point a QED unscented shaving stick. Shaving sticks are particularly nice if you have skipped a day or two.
SpikeyMikey

Post by SpikeyMikey »

Any tipson where to buy from?
final_id

Post by final_id »

texasPI wrote:So, did you snag one of the rare and soon to be extinct C&E brushes?
Erik: what are you referring to here? Is there an inventory change at C&E under way? I had seen that Crabtree & Evelyn (whom I presume you reference; the acronym "C&E" is not in the acronym file here: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5333) sells Edwin Jagger brushes.
timc

Post by timc »

final_id wrote:
texasPI wrote:So, did you snag one of the rare and soon to be extinct C&E brushes?
Erik: what are you referring to here? Is there an inventory change at C&E under way? I had seen that Crabtree & Evelyn (whom I presume you reference; the acronym "C&E" is not in the acronym file here: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5333) sells Edwin Jagger brushes.
Did you read this thread?

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18870

The $35 brush has morphed into a pure badger brush. I think that's what the post is referring too anyway.

- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I'm not sure what you mean "any tips to buy from?" Those boldfaced items are links. Click them and you can order...
SpikeyMikey

Post by SpikeyMikey »

I was asking if anyone has any recomendations on the best places to shop/buy from
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Ah. Check the links under "Shaving" at my blog:
http://leisureguy.wordpress.com

There are many good vendors out there on-line.
fireandicefuel

Post by fireandicefuel »

Looks like you are starting out well. Alot of guys start with a boar brush and a puck of Williams. I get consistently great shaves with my HD. :D
I too just had my first ever DE shave today.

I have guess what???

The Merkur HD
30 Merkur blades on amazon for $14, eventually I will get the combo pack from http://westcoastshaving.com/
Williams Mug Soap Puck
Boar Hair Brush
Old Spice The Original Aftershave

I did pull the trigger on Taylor's of Bond Street Avacado cream. That will be arriving soon.

And I must say the shave was amazing. I will get better in time of course. I'm pretty excited about my newly formed hobby.
ead

Post by ead »

cool, nice to hear you come a long pretty good :wink: