Alright tomorrow is the big day...any tips?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
SpikeyMikey

Alright tomorrow is the big day...any tips?

Post by SpikeyMikey »

My merkur hd and blade sample pack came in today....tomorrow will be the 1st time fir ne doing the DE thing....Any blade recomendations? Any tips besides don't press down??
Kramer

Post by Kramer »

From one noob to another: take your time and watch your angle.

Don't worry about BBS for now - just one or two passes - WTG & XTG.

When you can consistently get a shave with no nicks or razor burn, only then consider youself ready for an ATG pass.

I tackled the ATG pass to soon and left myself redfaced for a day or two.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Oh, and for what it's worth: Although the recomendation seems to be to start with the Merkur blades, I have to say that I was not happy with the results. My next blades from the sampler were the Isrealies - I've had much better results. But as they say here: YMMV.
John - On a quest for the perfect shave...
sysiphus

Post by sysiphus »

The Israeli Personnas seem to be a favorite.
The Feathers traditionally have not been suggested as your first blade.
YMMV is the mantra. As for the Merkurs: If not now, when?
David

Re: Alright tomorrow is the big day...any tips?

Post by notthesharpest »

SpikeyMikey wrote:My merkur hd and blade sample pack came in today....tomorrow will be the 1st time fir ne doing the DE thing....Any blade recomendations? Any tips besides don't press down??
Yes. While you're not pressing down, also keep the dome of the razor against your skin. This feels funny at first (to those of us who started shaving in the 80's or after, anyway), because it's sort of the opposite of the way you hold most cartridge razors.

If you don't keep the dome against your face, you'll come back tomorrow saying how bad this razor scrapes, and asking is it a faulty blade, or what; and we wouldn't want that kind of embarrassing situation, would we? :lol: :wink:
final_id

Post by final_id »

From the subject-line I got the impression you were going to get married, and we were going to suggest what soap and after-shave you should use for the "big day." :oops:

As a newbie myself, I'm quite close to the experience of changing over, and I'd have to say that the biggest thing I remember is how GENTLE and SAFE a "safety razor" turned out to be in my hand. I liked that part. A lot. :)

But I'm concerned that you have mentioned nothing about brush or lather. Start with the badger, then get the blade. You do have a brush? :shock:
Kramer

Post by Kramer »

final_id wrote:From the subject-line I got the impression you were going to get married, and we were going to suggest what soap and after-shave you should use for the "big day." :oops:

As a newbie myself, I'm quite close to the experience of changing over, and I'd have to say that the biggest thing I remember is how GENTLE and SAFE a "safety razor" turned out to be in my hand. I liked that part. A lot. :)

But I'm concerned that you have mentioned nothing about brush or lather. Start with the badger, then get the blade. You do have a brush? :shock:
That's a good point: I'm still working my way through, trying better shave soaps and creams, and I'm quickly learning that better lather (from better soap/cream) makes for a better shave.

I would have to second the motion that you equip yourself with a badger brush and quality soap or cream before your first DE shave.

On a personal note: the last 'big day' that I equated to marrage was the big D (and I don't mean Dallas), but YMMV (I hope...)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

You don't have a brush??? My mistake in blithely assuming that was taken care of. Any crappy brush is far better than none at all. Don't shave till you get a brush of some kind, and some good soap or cream.

If money is tight, I suggest an Omega boar brush, available for under $15 from QED. They are better quality and longer lasting than the ones available in most drugstores.

If money is not so tight, then I guess you know what to do. :lol:
final_id

Post by final_id »

I really recommend you get going on the brushing and lathering. Watch Mantic's videos at YouTube, find the ones all about lathering, and learn to keep going with the whipping until you make butter. Then shave with TECHNIQUE, man, technique. Even if it's just a Mach3.

Well, at least, that was my trajectory. I got some help with internet pointers, then watched the videos, then got a brush (old one in the back of the cabinet, boar and shedding) and some Williams mug soap and learned to make a real lather. Best part about that? You can do it five six eight times a day if you want! Great fun! Better than childhood bath time! Gst OUT the rubber ducky! I was still using a Mach3 at this time, but as I started to figure out that a "reduction" pass or two, rather than just one "deep" pass, would reduce irritation, I started getting closer and closer to that vaunted BBS result. And it was only the shipping from the EBay seller that was holding up my DE razor anyway.

I actually prefer (kind of) my boar brush over a nicer badger brush. I own a middle-of-the-road badger, and an old-grotty boar, and I essentially see nothing in between them, each has about equal amounts of benefit and detriment.

So really, I say, get into the wet part. Then do the shaving part. Brush and lather first. Someone on here uses as his signature "A really great shave starts with the brush" or similar.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Re: Alright tomorrow is the big day...any tips?

Post by rtaylor61 »

SpikeyMikey wrote:My merkur hd and blade sample pack came in today....tomorrow will be the 1st time fir ne doing the DE thing....Any blade recomendations? Any tips besides don't press down??
Remember that shaving is not something that is new. It takes focus and common sense. And for the first few weeks, a bit of time. Relax, and take your time.

And remember. Chicks dig scars.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I agree that a good boar brush is very adequate, in particular the Proraso/Omega boar brush available at QED or Tryphon's Barbieria Italiana. I now have badger brushes, too, but I can make excellent lather with this brush and still use it occasionally.

I think you can go ahead and use the new razor and blade with canned lather or gel, but you won't really get the experience of wetshaving until you make your own lather with a brush.

- Murray
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Kramer wrote:From one noob to another: take your time and watch your angle.

Don't worry about BBS for now - just one or two passes - WTG & XTG.

When you can consistently get a shave with no nicks or razor burn, only then consider youself ready for an ATG pass.

I tackled the ATG pass to soon and left myself redfaced for a day or two.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Oh, and for what it's worth: Although the recomendation seems to be to start with the Merkur blades, I have to say that I was not happy with the results. My next blades from the sampler were the Isrealies - I've had much better results. But as they say here: YMMV.
As another noob I'd like to suggest "listening". It seems to me that once you get the whole blade angle/pressure/grain thing right the razor will start to make a very specific sound. You'll know it when you hear it.
Kramer

Post by Kramer »

Thanks Steve,

Yes, I quickly learned to 'listen' to the blade. Nicks, cuts, and weepers are now a thing of the past, and razor burn is soon to be extinct.

BBS on the cheeks and jawline are now the norm, and is within reach on the neck and between the nose and chin.

I still can't beleve how I tortured myself for so many years with disposables and canned goo. My thanks to you all again.

BTW: Another new razor arrived in the mail today... curse you all for infecting me with RAD. ;)
BarryR

Post by BarryR »

SteveW wrote:As another noob I'd like to suggest "listening". It seems to me that once you get the whole blade angle/pressure/grain thing right the razor will start to make a very specific sound. You'll know it when you hear it.
As another Newbie: I agree. I find it difficult to shave with the water running because I need to hear the cutting sound to guide me.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

CMur12 wrote:I agree that a good boar brush is very adequate, in particular the Proraso/Omega boar brush available at QED or Tryphon's Barbieria Italiana. I now have badger brushes, too, but I can make excellent lather with this brush and still use it occasionally.

I think you can go ahead and use the new razor and blade with canned lather or gel, but you won't really get the experience of wetshaving until you make your own lather with a brush.

- Murray
Blasphemy!!! :wink:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
ead

Post by ead »

Get a nice soap!!!
It is really a whole lot of new thing to enjoy
As for the blade
Derby or Israelli are best for start :)