New York City SMF Meetup

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

New York City SMF Meetup

Post by Sfox7076 »

This has been bandied about before, but now I am calling for it. I am thinking the afternoon of June 30th at one of four places:

1. Public House New York (140 E 41st Street btw Lex & 3rd) It's a new bar that is pretty nice. I can get us a deal with enough people as I know the event planner there.

2. Loreley (Rivington just in off the Bowery) (My favorite) Great German food, nice space insid, beer garden outside, and of course great German beer on tap. http://www.loreleynyc.com/

3. Luna Park (Union Square) Kind of crowded and trendy, but ok.

4. The 79th street Boat Basin (79th and Riverside Drive) http://www.boatbasincafe.com/home.htm

Or we could do the Astoria Beer Garden... http://www.bohemianhall.com/

Let's see if there is interest.

Shawn
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
SteveW

Re: New York City SMF Meetup

Post by SteveW »

Sfox7076 wrote:This has been bandied about before, but now I am calling for it. I am thinking the afternoon of June 30th at one of four places:

1. Public House New York (140 E 41st Street btw Lex & 3rd) It's a new bar that is pretty nice. I can get us a deal with enough people as I know the event planner there.

2. Loreley (Rivington just in off the Bowery) (My favorite) Great German food, nice space insid, beer garden outside, and of course great German beer on tap. http://www.loreleynyc.com/

3. Luna Park (Union Square) Kind of crowded and trendy, but ok.

4. The 79th street Boat Basin (79th and Riverside Drive) http://www.boatbasincafe.com/home.htm

Or we could do the Astoria Beer Garden... http://www.bohemianhall.com/

Let's see if there is interest.

Shawn
intruiging
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

I guess there isn't a lot of interest, as of yet, but I expect it to grow.
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Shawn, I'd be interested. Any chance you can get me a deal on airfare and hotel? :lol: To really seal the deal, if you get "behind the scenes" access to Pasteur's I am there! :lol: You know, like a private tasting at a winery? :lol:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

Well, my couch is open. Airfare, that's a harder thing... And as for the Pasteur's thing, after my posting on Coate's, I am not sure they want me back there.
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

No interest? I find that kind of odd.
koeos

Post by koeos »

I'm interested. Money and distance prevent me from attending however :lol:
- Mark
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

koeos wrote:I'm interested. Money and distance prevent me from attending however :lol:
I've got dibs on the couch! :lol:
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Barry

Post by Barry »

Might depend on what happens next week but I plan on getting up to NYC within the next couple of weeks for a visit. My sister is up there (Upper West Side). It would be fun to meet up with everyone.

I'm open to anywhere, no real preference, - but I will be stopping here for sure. =P~

It probably gets too crowded for a group meet though.
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

Yes, it does, there is always a line to get in. I think we all have to go there once... It is a place that I think once is enough as well. It smells really bad in there. The century of onions, beer and what can only be puke make it have this pungent aroma that I never can get out of palate...

Shawn
koeos

Post by koeos »

I remember back in the "Good Ole Days" when Letterman used to do live remotes from McSorley's. I always wanted to go there but never got around to it any of the times I've been in NYC.
- Mark
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

koeos wrote:I remember back in the "Good Ole Days" when Letterman used to do live remotes from McSorley's. I always wanted to go there but never got around to it any of the times I've been in NYC.
I remember when McSorley's was 'men only' and was for some serious beer drinking. Now it is just another tourist trap. :cry:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Barry

Post by Barry »

It is a dirty, smelly dive but to me that's what gives it character. I noticed they have a food menu but I'm not too sure I would want to eat there. The beer is cheap - it comes in light or dark and an order is two small mugs. I went there for the first time a few weeks ago - the guy next to me kept shaking a ton of salt in his beer. I split an order and then left rather quickly. It's interesting for people watching and it's kind of a bizarre scene.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Barry wrote:I'm open to anywhere, no real preference, - but I will be stopping here for sure. =P~

In the late 1960's I worked as an aide in a psychiatric hospital. To blow off steam after the evening shift, we would go to the Men Only McSorley's to drink beer and to eat limburger cheese on salteens. They had a barmaid...the only woman present...who could carry eight steins of beer in each hand.

The idea of McSorley's as a haven for Irish poets is a myth...it was always full of drunks of every nationality, none of whom could rhyme even a couplet.

I took a woman friend to McSorley's on the very first day it went coed. Somebody poured a mug of beer on my woman friend's head and I never went back again.

Buzz
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Barry wrote:Might depend on what happens next week but I plan on getting up to NYC within the next couple of weeks for a visit. My sister is up there (Upper West Side). It would be fun to meet up with everyone.

I'm open to anywhere, no real preference, - but I will be stopping here for sure. =P~

I went to college across the street. Say "hi" to Peter's chair for me.
prism

Post by prism »

Shawn, I'm really sorry to say I can't make it. Please hoist one for me! Thanks. Vic
final_id

Post by final_id »

Sfox7076 wrote:The century of onions, beer and what can only be puke make it have this pungent aroma that I never can get out of palate...
Sounds kinda like Bourbon Street. :shock:
Cliff in New Orleans
koeos

Post by koeos »

koeos wrote:I remember back in the "Good Ole Days" when Letterman used to do live remotes from McSorley's. I always wanted to go there but never got around to it any of the times I've been in NYC.
It came to me as if in a dream, while I was riding the train home from work.:lol:

It was of course Hurley's that Dave used to go into and bother the staff and patrons. :oops:
- Mark
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

I vote for Loreley. The LES is my stomping ground. Afterwards, I could take us to a other dives or lounges as well.
Cheers,
Peter J
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I vote for Loreley
They don't sell beck's :cry:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum