Shaving and breakouts

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
shavinghelp

Shaving and breakouts

Post by shavinghelp »

Hello. New to the board.

I thought maybe someone out there could help. For me, shaving can be a nightmare especially the day after. I have a thick beard with somewhat curly hair. The day after a shave, I completely break out with red patches and what appear to be little whiteheads. I'm assuming this is pseudofolliculitis barbae. Anyone out there with a similar problem? Short of not shaving at all, what can I do to get a reasonably close shave without the constant worry of irritation/breakouts/red marks? Electric razor? Straight-edge? I actually tried the Bump fighter single blade razor but that didn't seem to shave any hair at all. Any recommendations or advice?

Thanks.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

welcome to SMF!
let everyone know exactly what you used (blade, cream, AS, etc) so they can help you out.
also remember your pre-shave prep work is just as important as the shave itself.
good luck 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Donatzsky

Post by Donatzsky »

Have a look at this thread. I have this very problem myself, and I have come to the conclusion that simply shaving less is not really a solution.
Nis
Je ne suis un homme sans fautes
DoughDave

Post by DoughDave »

Your first post was exactly like mine here:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19451

Im about to get into using a double edge myself soon, so I cant answer your question yet, but if it works out ok for me than it may for you too.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Prepare the beard well with hot water and a two minute application of hair conditioner. Use a single blade razor with a rigid blade - an injector or even a Bic disposable would do. Shave with the grain only, and don't press too hard. As your skin gets accustomed to this, you may later add a cross-grain pass, but don't rush it. Multiblade razors are dreadful for this kind of problem.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
innotivity

Post by innotivity »

Would a single blade Bic disposable be a step up over a Gillette Trac 2 (two blades)?
shavinghelp

Post by shavinghelp »

I didn't realize that shaving with a DE was so popular. I would love to actually look forward to shaving as some have claimed, rather than dreading it.

However, I have to ask. Did switching to the DE/wet shaving system actually help anyone who was prone to breakouts/folliculitis barbae?
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

It certainly helped me. My neck used to break out a day after every time I shaved! It was horrible. Red splotches and some white heads would inevitably show up! I didn't know there was a better way to shave, until I stumbled upon Mark's (mantic) videos and this forum! I bought some razors, the essential blade sampler pack form West Coast Shaving, a brush and some soaps and creams and now I wouldn't look back for anything! I still do get some irritation and an occasional ingrown hair but the redness and whiteheads are a thing of the past! And these are likely due to my, as of yet, less than perfect technique. I would recommend that you give it a shot, check this thread for some cheap but good starting products http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15973 and the worst that can happen is that you don't like using a safety razor. You will want to hold onto a brush and good quality shaving cream or soap because I know that I wouldn't give those up! Anyway I hope that this helps yo find an irritation free shave! Don't be afraid to ask questions, the gentlemen on this forum are both patient and knowledgeable!

Warmest regards, Niksa