Shampoo question for Charles....

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Shampoos

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Joel -

These are personal views, of course, so just treat them as ONE peron's opinion.

Locating a good shampoo seems as difficult as locating a good moisturizer. Most shampoos either dry my hair or coat it. I got so desperte, in my last Trumper order I brought in some of their shampoos (just for me). It has been quite some time since I used a Trumper shampoo, but I recall them all being outstanding (though not inexpensive) ... nice foaming action, great scents, gently cleaned the hair, rinsed easily and completely, and when the hair was dry it felt supple, but not coated. Well, unfortunately, the shampoos are NOT as I remember them. Even the scents are not as distinct and crisp. The Lavender, which was my particular favorite, does not have a true Lavender scent, did not foam nicely, and my hair felt dry afterwards. I was greatly disappointed. Got the same results with their Almond, Coconut, Limes, etc. ALL of them were no better than some inexpensive shampoo gotten at the local drugstore or WalMart. Sad, really.

I recently tried D.R. Harris's Lemon and Coconut Cream. The scent of the Lemon has always been particularly outstanding. Neither shampoo performed as it did in the past. First, they are not inexpensive; second, you have to use A LOT of cream to get a decent lather; third, they seemed to coat my hair. Another sad reality that not ALL toiletries from these old English firms are outstanding.

Zirh ... I rejected the ENTIRE range. NOTHING they offer impresses me. However, I want to remind you this is ONE man's opinion ... personally, I would never reject an entire range until I tried it. There's a chap who owns a website specializing in skincare products who recently TRASHED the entire MaleFace range. In my opinion, MaleFace's "Rejuvenating Moisture Cream" is the best moisturizer for men. So it goes to show you ... one man's opinion ...

Lately I find myself using the Lavender shampoo from EO quite a bit, along with a shampoo I use to bring in from Scotland simply called PURE. Neither are wonder shampoos, but over everything else I've tried they seem to work nicely with my hair (they are both good for all hair types).

I am trying to obtain samples of shampoos I use to bring in from a very old Herbalist in England. But they are an EXTREMELY difficult firm to deal with ... trying to get products from them is an agony.

I see a lot being said on the WetShaver forum about Truefitt & Hill's shampoos. Funny, I offer their shaving cream and balms, I've tried their Hair Tonics (but rejected them), I've brought in the hard soap for some clients (but haven't personally tried it), but for some inexplicable reason I have not tried their shampoos. So I cannot comment on them. But judging from the quality of their other products I would expect the shampoos to be quite nice ... but that certainly is not a glowing recommendation, is it?

One of the very few products I use to like from Neal's Yard Apothecary (England) was their shampoo. But I haven't used it in a while so I am not certain the quality is the same.

I have heard some good things about the shampoos from Molton Brown but I could never get this firm to bless me with their products ... they have a real beaut of a distributor here in America, which is typical for English firms.

I have used my "QED man" aloe vera cleansing bars to wash my hair ... boy, do they lather like hell for vegetable glycerin soaps ... and I know other chaps who use the soap this way .... however, I was acting out of pure desperation. I did not formulate "QED man" soaps as a shampoo, but as skin cleansers. So I am NOT recommending you use them as shampoo. I just wanted you to see I am in the same boat as you.

Quite frankly, regardless of what shampoo I use, after lightly towel drying, I spray in a little Pashana hair lotion, run my fingers through my scalp, comb the locks, and when my hair dries it is in wonderful condition. Since most shampoos seem to be drying, using the Pashana seems to have very positive results because it really does condition the hair (not coat it) and the scalp.

I realize I have taken all this time to say practically nothing. But I am not going to laud products simply to demonstrate I am a guru of toiletries ... I prefer to admit it when I just have not found anything that really impresses me.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Shampoo

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Todd, these forums are about speaking your mind, so don't worry about sending trade away from me. This is one example why I think vendors (retailers) should play minor roles on forum. First, a vendor would have a natural tendency to hawk what he sells, and secondly, a consumer may be reluctant to say something especially if he know a vendor on the forum sells it. I have been around toiletries long enough to know there is no single product that EVERY person likes. So, please, feel free to speak your mind, and direct other chaps where you wish if you think they'll benefit from the information. Hell, you may even teach me something. Regards, Charles Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Shampoo

Post by qed-usa »

Joel ...

I have not tried these shampoos ... hmmm, White Truffel?? What the hell, sounds wacky enough to entice me to try. In any case, if you give these shampoos a go, let me have your feedback. In fact, post here so all the chaps can have the benefit of your evaluation.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D