Samples

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

Well the Mail person just came and I had a wonderful suprise in the mail :lol:
Truefitt&Hill sent me some samples of their ultimate comfort Pre-Shave Oil, Shaving Cream and Aftershave Balm.

As well as some colognes:
Grafton
West Indian Limes
Freshman
Clubman
Trafalgar
and
Spanish Leather

and to make things Funny!!!!

I recieved a Gilette Fusion Razor in the mail :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Big Swifty wrote:tub of almond...mmmmmm almond.
Yeah Steve, T&H almond is sublime and I'm a big fan of it. I think I'll use it tomorrow morning.

Paul, you were far luckier than I was with your T&H samples, though they still didn't give you much in the way of shaving cream samples.
AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

well to be honest, I Might get a bad case of CAD and with theirs being $75 a piece this is gonna hurt
Paul
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

Yesterday, I got Lime and Coral skin food and moisturiser samples from Trumpers. I'm very impressed with the service Trumpers have given me as this is the second sample I've received from them.
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
Zaniix

Post by Zaniix »

Big Swifty wrote:
Zaniix wrote:The 1805 was so vile to my nose that I tossed it away as soon as I smelled it.

Was like daggers piercing my skull.
Chris,
I couldn't agree more. the perfumed scents are definately not my cup of tea. but the almond, rose and lavender are among my favourite shaving creams for sure. I heard they also have a sandlewood which I have not smelled but I sure want to since I am a fan of sandlewood. 8)
I like T&H The UC cream is really nice I am going to have to try the Almond. I wonder if it is like the DR Harris almond scent.
Chris
rdb4198

Post by rdb4198 »

I just received my sample pack from T&H today. It came with the following:

UC Pre Shave Oil
UC Shave Cream
UC Aftershave Balm

Colognes:
Clubman
Freshman
Spanish Leather
West Indian Limes
Grafton
Trafalgar

Looking forward to trying the UC products.
Rob
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Rob, you certainly did better with the freebies than I did.

I've just tried shaving with T&H's Ultimate Comfort sample. It was the second shave of the day, so I didn't have much re-growth.

I wasn't expecting it to be much good, but it really wasn't too bad. Considering I have shaved twice in 12 hours (rather than once in 24), it did a very good job in protecting my skin and providing a reasonably close shave. I have no real irritation to speak of.

My main criticisms of the product are that I didn't find it particularly easy to lather, and that I didn't enjoy the scent of it very much. As usual, this is a YMMV issue.

If I'm being honest, I don't know if I could bring myself to part with money for it. It does the job quite well, but one of the reasons I found an interest in 'traditional' wet shaving was because I wanted to get away from the mass produced and marketed products. Ultimate Comfort, albeit fairly good, just seems to pander to this particular audience. Everything from the packaging to the name of the product seems to scream that awful label, 'SHAVING SYSTEM'.

Of course, your opinion and your mileage with this product will likely vary.

Me.....I'm just an old fashioned kind of guy! :)
AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

Floris Samples Arrived Yesterday as well as samples from AOS. I would have AOS pics but I used the product and gave some to my neighbor with a wetshaving "starter kit"

Paul
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Paul,

What is in those little pots? I presume they are shaving cream samples.
AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

Shaving Cream and aftershave balm. One of each for JP, Elite and Santal as well as Cefiro Enriched moisturizer. The little pots are pretty cool. After I empty them I will use them to give away samples or travel.

I am amazed at how much cologne I have received as I never expected nor asked for cologne samples. Not that I am complaining.. so far spanish leather is my favorite.

Floris scents seem more dated than the scents from T&H. I kinda like that as it offers up a variety instead of more of the same....
Paul
rdb4198

Post by rdb4198 »

Paul,

I also received my Floris sample yesterday. I'm looking forward to using the Santal Shaving Cream in about 20 minutes!

I'm also pleasantly surprised to find all the cologne samples I've been receiving in these sample kits.

Now I'm just waiting on my Trumper's sample pack from the UK!
Rob
AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

Today Samples from TOBS, Trumper and Space NK came. TOBS sent me a small dollop of their lavender cream with a nice handwritten note which I am very thankful for.

Trumper sent me their "kit" same as Gareth's and SPace NK sent me samples from Anthony Logistics AOS and A men ity.
Paul
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

The Floris samples are more strongly scented than I am used to, but I find I really like the Santal.

Also, someone ought to stick up for 1805: I actually like the sample of the cologne that I received.

- Will
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Actually Will, I also quite enjoyed the sample which I got of 1805. I may consider getting it next time I buy a T&H cream.

The Santal from Floris is also a lovely fragrance. I had a small tube of the shaving cream to try and found it gave a very luxurious lather which smelt lovely.

On another note, I still haven't heard anything whatsoever from D.R. Harris regarding the samples I requested from them about two weeks ago.

I suppose one is not even worthy of an automated response........ :roll:
DrRoboto

Post by DrRoboto »

Well I'm in the boat for some samples now as well. I just emailed Trumpers expressing interest in all wet shaving products with an emphasis on the skin foods. I'll respond when they do :D .
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

DrRoboto, Trumper's appear to be excellent for their generosity in regards to samples. If you browse the earlier pages of this thread, you'll see what I and others received from them.

I don't know where you are from, but if you do not live in the UK, Trumper's may ask you to pay postage for the samples.

Oh....and welcome to SMF :D
DrRoboto

Post by DrRoboto »

Thanks Gareth, I have no problem paying a few bucks postage if I can score a kit like you got there in your first post :D . I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada, so I imagine I may be asked for something similar to AlbertAnthrax.
Robert
rdb4198

Post by rdb4198 »

Robert,

Just want to make you aware that I just recieved my kit from Trumpers and did not have nearly as much as Gareth's sample kit. I only received Almond, Rose, and Coconut Oil Shave Creams. I also only received 4 colognes, but both Coral and Limes Skin Food. I was hoping to get a few more sample shave creams, but oh well. Just so you're aware.

-Rob
Rob
DrRoboto

Post by DrRoboto »

rdb4198 wrote:Robert,

Just want to make you aware that I just recieved my kit from Trumpers and did not have nearly as much as Gareth's sample kit. I only received Almond, Rose, and Coconut Oil Shave Creams. I also only received 4 colognes, but both Coral and Limes Skin Food. I was hoping to get a few more sample shave creams, but oh well. Just so you're aware.

-Rob
Thanks for the heads up, rdb4198. That still seems like a pretty decent deal though. I'd probably pay it just for the skin foods, I want to try them out. I made sure to emphasize my interest in them in my email :lol: .
Robert
MCsommerreid

Post by MCsommerreid »

Gareth Probert wrote: My main criticisms of the product are that I didn't find it particularly easy to lather, and that I didn't enjoy the scent of it very much. As usual, this is a YMMV issue.
I too got a sample of the UC shave cream, and I do believe it's meant to be "unscented" in some form or another. The smell it does have seems to dissipate very quickly.

The secret to lathering it, I think, is less water and then adding more every few swirls. I tried lathering it up just straight out, and didn't get very far, then I added water a little at a time and it lathered right up.