Saturday: A new haul

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Saturday: A new haul

Post by drmoss_ca » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:37 am

This week the nice FedEx man slipped me a box from Hungerford, In it were a couple of brushes, soaps and creams.

The Brushes
First a confession, I bought a backup Duke 3 Best - it's that good! I know, I'm sick, very sick. The second brush was a potential replacement for the place that the Duke 3 holds in my heart - a Chubby 1 Best. First impressions were hopeful that it might turn out to be the 'Duke 4' I would love to have. It has a slightly taller loft than the D3, but also a smaller knot size. The hair is the same soft grade of brown best badger that is in the D3, which is unrelated to the kind of best found in the CH2 or 3, which is a coarser quality of white hair. Sadly it didn't quite live up to expectations - it isn't dense enough to give that delicious rubbery resistance to being deformed on the face that I like so much about the D3. More like being, in Michael Fremer's memorable words about a different topic, being flogged with a wet noodle. At least I have a spare D3 now for when I wear out my present example. These days I mostly use the D3 for soaps and CH2 for creams, with other brushes for variety purposes.

The Soaps
The two soaps were AOS Lavender and Harris Arlington. Having discovered how nice the AOS Sandalwood soap is, I thought it right to expand my knowledge. This one is a real keeper - the scent is strong and authentic, but with a creamy quality to it that I can't quite place. The lather is all you would expect from a first class tallow soap - thick, stiff and protective. I hate to say it, but in terms of lather and shave quality, I believe the AOS soaps beat out Trumper soaps. This allows me to go some way towards forgiving them for the outrageously expensive creams they sell.
D R Harris Arlington soap combines the famous Harris lather with their most popular cologne scent. I'll report on this when I have used it.

The Creams
Four tubs of cream arrived in this package. Taylor's St James is a scent I know from the shaving sticks, and T&H Sandalwood is my first contact with the T&H variation on this popular theme. My first thought on sniffing it was that it smells just like The Body Shop cream! It is the colour of a caramel pudding and the surface of the cream is suspiciously smooth and shiny - it doesn't have the lumpy, torn marshmallow look that I am used to seeing. Perhaps I'm getting paranoid! I will post some pictures this afternoon if I can make time. The other two creams were from The Gentlemen's Refinery, one their basic scent, and the other called rather ominously Black Ice. Despite the carefully selected and rather silly name, the latter smells of aniseed balls, which to an Englishman who remembers them, is a Good Thing.
Again, more details to follow as they are used.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:27 am

Chris,

What a relief...i'm not the only Shavegeek around here... :D
FWIW: i agree on the AOS stuff....very good indeed.... :?
Peter

levente

Post by levente » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:52 am

Chris,

A shavegeek and an audiophile? The latter is a true ticket to bank account devastation.

Regards,
Basil

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:53 am

Here are the brushes, you can see the CH1 on the right is less dense than the D3 in the middle:

I think the smooth surface of the T&H Sandalwood cream is pretty much the same as the Lavender. All T&H creams currently have an opalescent sheen to their surfaces:

I used the TGR Black Ice today and enjoyed the unusual licorice scent. As for lather quality, it is just like using one of the new Taylor's creams: good but not outstanding.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:24 am

Chris, No, you're not well, there's no denying it. Even presuming that you have the money to go on like this.....well, there are well to do junkies too, afterall. But I suppose that there's nothing to be done,,,,so, moving right along. Ouite surprising about that CH1. As per you photo, it clearly is less dense, but in my experiance, it's usually the reverse. The Chubby is normally the denser of the two ( you do seem to have a weird ju-ju with Simpsons; getting unusual ones, sometimes for the good, sometimes not ). The CH1 that I actually had ( one of Corey's notorious two ), was the most dense brush I've ever used, with the possible exception of my Plisson EW. And the ones I've seen in shops have generally been unusually dense as well.

Well, I pretty much agree regarding the AOS hard soap. I've always spoken well of it, despite my general distaste for most of the whole AOS trip. I think that their quality stems largely from the fact that they are one of the very few top end soaps that are still tallow based. They are also VERY expensive, even in the US, and I've heard some noises that suggest that they may not be around for that much longer. But others ( of course ) deny that. Anyway, they're very good, but very pricey.

Don't be too quick to judge those T&H creams. I've been examining them for several years now in stores, and there have always been pots that looked like the ones you pictured, and others that have the drier more traditional look. Naturally, I've always bought the pots that looked more 'old school'. The others, I'd always assumed would behave more like their cream in the tubes. But, that still isn't all that bad. Their Sandalwood was never one of my personal favourites however. The color was a bit intense, and the scent not as pleasant, IMO, as the Coate's or the old Trumpers. According to Merlyn in that other thread, T&H is already 'reformulating', but those creams aren't out yet, so what you have should be at least relatively okay ( I hope ). Thanks, once again, for an interesting and informative weekly 'update'.
Regards,
Gordon

Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Having discovered how nice the AOS Sandalwood soap is, I thought it right to expand my knowledge. This one is a real keeper
Try their sandalwood shaving balm!

dave
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender

2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Furrball2 wrote:
Having discovered how nice the AOS Sandalwood soap is, I thought it right to expand my knowledge. This one is a real keeper
Try their sandalwood shaving balm!

dave
+1

It's a heavy-style balm, so I often apply it with my hands and face still damp.

--Glenn

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:26 pm

Dave, Yeah, the AOS aftershave gels and balms, and their hard shave soaps have always been the only AOS products that I, personally, really thought highly of.....the ones that were up there, in their respective catagories, with the other truly top of the line stuff. For those who like a heavier weight A/S balm, the AOS is one of the best ones, IMO. Myself, I always used the gel ( I gather that that product is no longer quite the same, though....if you can even find it ).
Regards,
Gordon

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:07 pm

drmoss_ca wrote:Having discovered how nice the AOS Sandalwood soap is, I thought it right to expand my knowledge. This one is a real keeper
Dr. Moss, I am loving the AOS soaps. I would put it on par with the old Yardley soap - the lather I get from either is identical from the other. The AOS soap is more moisturizing to my skin though. The AOS can absorb a lot of water and make a very heavy dense lather that is very cushioning especially when one uses distilled water as I do. Just fabulous stuff! I hope you come to really enjoy them even more.

Chris

Rambler

Post by Rambler » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:14 pm

Chris, My almond creams from T&H never had that sheen, but my West Indian Limes did. When I finally purchased the Rose, I was able to check out all the pots, and they all had that sheen on top of the creams, so I picked up the one that looked the "best" (fuller, flatter top to the cream). I was curious too about why they all had that sheen, but I thought it would be okay. Unfortunately, the cream I picked up was dehydrated and still had the sheen. It performs as well, at least for me, as all of the other T&H creams I have tried. Not too sure though why they now to seem to have that sheen either.

You guys peeked my interest on the AOS soap. I'll have to check some out next time I see them. I've almost always dismissed the AOS line for some unknown reason.
--Greg

salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Re: Saturday: A new haul

Post by salbev » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:22 pm

drmoss_ca wrote: torn marshmallow look that I am used to seeing.
Chris
great writing here, Chris!
i do very much like reading your weekly 'updates'.