Rate of hair growth

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
groucho

Rate of hair growth

Post by groucho »

Personally, I have noticed that my facial hair grows much faster during days when I am extremely busy and stressed out, particularly at work, so much so that I am tempted to take another shave at the end of the day.

On the hand, on relatively peaceful, sedate days, like weekends, I don't notice as much facial hair growth by the end of the day.

Looks like the rate of my facial hair is directly proportionate to the adrenalin that I pump out.

Anybody else noticing the same thing?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I haven't given it much thought. Some days I notice more 5 o'clock shadow then others but then again all my morning shaves aren't equal in quality.
~Jeff

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

... or maybe on the relaxed days you have more time and brain power for an excellent shave???

But this is interesting anyway. I've never noticed.
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

For me, it looks like my beards grows faster when I'm tired
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I don't know really. I've always though that my facial hair grows more during the day than at night.

I have never come across any sort of scientific proof for this, and I have no idea if it's true or not.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

no difference here, usually have light stubble the next day.
12345Michael54321

Re: Rate of hair growth

Post by 12345Michael54321 »

groucho wrote:On the hand, on relatively peaceful, sedate days, like weekends, I don't notice as much facial hair growth by the end of the day.
Maybe you tend to sleep a little later on the weekends, so you shave later in the morning, so it's not as many hours from shave time to the end of the day.

Although notthesharpest may be right, too. Could be that when you're relaxed and unhurried, you give yourself a better shave than when you're busy and stressed.
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

I have noticed that since switching back to DE shaving with lather from multiblades with gel that my beard hair appears to be growing slower over the 24 h between shaves. This was so evident and immediate after the change of shaving technique that my wife commented on it without my mentioning it so it is not my imagination. I hope this lasts as it makes for easier shaving and a better performance from the shave.

John
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

lordjohn wrote:I have noticed that since switching back to DE shaving with lather from multiblades with gel that my beard hair appears to be growing slower over the 24 h between shaves.
I would bet that this is not slower growth but simply a better shave.
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

Great..I had overlooked the bleeding obvious as we say in the UK.

John
Magnulus

Re: Rate of hair growth

Post by Magnulus »

My hair seems to grow pretty fast no matter what. Sensor's and Mach 3's did a good job at keeping 5 O'clock shadow away, but even as a teen or college student I would carry around a Norelco double header or foil shaver to touch up in the afternoon sometimes.

I don't get really closer shaves with a DE unless I do a 4-pass shave with alot of touching up, and then there is the real risk of skin irritation. If anything they are slightly less close. With a GEM razor I can get a very close shave if I go for broke and do an against-the-grain/upward pass + blade buffing, and it seems to last a long time, but you can easily get skin irritation using a GEM.
rogersfreud

Post by rogersfreud »

That is an interesting observation.

I've never noticed that, maybe because i have to shave everyday so it is granted that my facial hair does grow fast.

Isaac
1)"Many times we neglect & even loose ourselves in our pursuit of 'helping' & pleasing others."
2)"Remember that life, as well as recovery, are all about progress, not about perfection. Take it one hour or even minute at a time - if we need to."