The Titanic

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
ichabod
Mackem

The Titanic

Post by ichabod »

My family and I meandered purposelessly through the Titanic exhibit in the Denver Museum of Science and Nature last week. While much of it is fascinating, I shall save the details here for the shaving related things I saw.

There were two (2) cases with toiletries for men in them, one showing a couple of leather strops, and the (possibly tortoiseshell but probably not, see below) handle of a straight razor. The text in the case mentioned that safety razors were becoming very popular, but stated that many men still felt it was more "manly" to shave with a straight razor. It also didn't mention that all the safety razors rusted away and were lost forever.

The other case showed a shaving brush, which looked like it had horsehair bristle. The text of that mentioned the risks of anthrax from shaving brushes. Alongside another straight razor handle. the other, most delightful artifact was also in that case - a perfectly preserved ceramic pot with the name Truefitt on the side, obviously made before Mr. Truefitt and Jimmy Hill got together. I know, I know, it was Edwin Hill. Jimmy Hill is a reference for the Brits. The text here mentioned that Truefitt and Hill are still making shaving products to this day, despite the loss of this pot.

Another case contained a collection of hairbrushes and a clock case, which at first glance looked like ivory. They were, in fact, a manufactured "ivory-like" material, because I suspect that real ivory, much like human bones, would not have lasted long two miles under the ocean. Not sure if this applies to the tortoiseshell, but I suspect so.

Another, not so shaving related, aspect of the exhibit was one that made an impression. Upon entry each visitor is given a "boarding pass" with the name of a passenger. At the end the visitor can look to see if their name survived or not. Being a successful jeweler, travelling first class, I was confident of my survival. I died. My wife and two children made it, so it wasn't all bad.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
AlbertAnthrax

Re: The Titanic

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

ichabod wrote:The text of that mentioned the risks of anthrax from shaving brushes.
Thats crazy talk there.. wow I would have never thought... I guess it is a good thing I am vaccinated :)..

any pictures to share?
Paul
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

AlbertAnthrax wrote:
ichabod wrote:The text of that mentioned the risks of anthrax from shaving brushes.
Thats crazy talk there.. wow I would have never thought... I guess it is a good thing I am vaccinated :)..

any pictures to share?
Cameras weren't allowed, unfortunately.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

AlbertAnthrax wrote:

any pictures to share?
This is from when some shaving brushes were made out of horsehair. IIRC, it was a fair problem in the field during WWI
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

Jimmy Hill. That's classic.

I don't think anybody slightly younger than me will get that reference. Jimmy Hill... ha, oh man that takes me back...
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
Mottern Man

Post by Mottern Man »

ichabod wrote:
AlbertAnthrax wrote:

any pictures to share?
Cameras weren't allowed, unfortunately.
I have 8 shots under my belt, send the brush! :lol:
Will - "Doc"
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

That was a great exhibit I saw it when it was here in Philly. I remember seeing the pot etc but my favorite was the davit they brought up from the ocean floor. It was an actual piece of the ship that was torn away when she broke in half. It had signs all around it saying don't touch. I couldn't help myself I had to touch it. It was an interesting feeling touching a piece of that ship. The black paint was still on the davit - though mostly gone. Great exhibit.

Chris
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

Where can you see this museum? Is this the only one in the US?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Teuton, it is an exhibit that is traveling in the US right now. I am not sure whether or not it will go worldwide.

Chris
AlbertAnthrax

Post by AlbertAnthrax »

is there a web site that lists the dates and places it will be?
Paul
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I think this might be the site, but I am not sure.

http://www.rmstitanic.net/

Chris
Ken

Post by Ken »

The exhibit came to Columbus for the second time. One additional thing to note is that in the inevitable gift "shop" at the end of the exhibit was Vinolia soap. I bought myself a bar.

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Dang! They did NOT have any when the exhibition was here!....I drove all the way across the Bay to go to it assuming I'd be able to pick up some Vinolia and zilch!
Regards,
Gordon
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The tortoise shell is likey real, or polished and dyed horn. Cheap faux shell was made of cellulose nitrate up until the 1920s and was extremely fragile and degrades into a crumbling dust in time. The extreme cold and darkness work in shell's favour.Marine worms quickly consumed most organics. Leather goods survive because the PH works in their favour vs sea chemicals and organisms.
Except for the stokers who courageously kept the boilers going to provide light past any hope of escape; there are no entombed victims in the wreck.
merkri

Post by merkri »

Ken wrote:The exhibit came to Columbus for the second time. One additional thing to note is that in the inevitable gift "shop" at the end of the exhibit was Vinolia soap. I bought myself a bar.

Ken
I loved that exhibit, and amusingly, the thing I remember most vividly was the Vinolia soap at the end of the exhibit in the gift shop. When I went through the exhibit, it was actually a little cheaper than what I could find it for in a regular store.

The tortoise shell is likey real, or polished and dyed horn. Cheap faux shell was made of cellulose nitrate up until the 1920s and was extremely fragile and degrades into a crumbling dust in time. The extreme cold and darkness work in shell's favour.Marine worms quickly consumed most organics. Leather goods survive because the PH works in their favour vs sea chemicals and organisms.
Except for the stokers who courageously kept the boilers going to provide light past any hope of escape; there are no entombed victims in the wreck.
That might be true, although I distinctly remember some of the things in the exhibit being synthetic. The exhibit made a point of noting that plastics and similar items were a novelty at the time, and had a certain status associated with them that they don't today.

It was a great exhibit. I highly recommend it to anyone who can see it.
Last edited by merkri on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry T

Post by Larry T »

I saw the exhibit in Detroit a couple of years ago, it was an amazing event.

Larry
TFisher

Post by TFisher »

The Truefitt pot on exhibit is one of less than a handful that were taken off the Titanic during one of the expeditions. London Truefitt has some and North America have a couple. One was on display at the former Vegas shop. A pot is also pictured on the website.