Why are there NO OTHER OPTIONS?!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
smartfast

Why are there NO OTHER OPTIONS?!

Post by smartfast »

Hey All,

I've been lurking here for a few months on and off. I am kind-of holding back making my first razor purchase simply because there are WAY too many choices!! But .. I will continue to spend time here and pick up things as I go along. Maybe soon it will click, and I will discover my perfect wet shaving setup....

In the mean time, I'm using a mach3 with VERY FRESH blades (costing me a small fortune!!!) and the standard goo in a can. ALWAYS, One spot of my face gets ingrown hairs after 2-3 days.. I really need to jump in this bandwagon already and ENJOY my shave instead of avoiding the inevitable tugtug pullpull :(

ANYWAY ... the point of this post; WHY are their no other options for us men? In an age where science and technology are accelerating faster than EVER before ... there have been no significant advances in the "mens grooming" arena at all.

I'm thinking .. the perfect formulation of men's facial nair .. one that doesnt stink, doesnt burn skin, works in minutes and lasts for weeks. I'm thinking .. a 'magic pill' that lowers the rate at which our hair grows ... or a cheap and effective laser treatment that keeps our faces babysmooth for months!!

Whats going on out there people? How is the BEST OPTION for men to rub sharp blades or spinning chunks of metal against one of the most sensitive parts of our body, and the one that is the FIRST for EVERYONE TO SEE EVERY DAY??

Something is surely wrong with that .............. or am I? I would appreciate anyone's input on the matter :)
Renty

Post by Renty »

Some things were perfected a hundred years ago and should remain as they are.

By the way, most of my friends think I'm pretty old fashioned.
Ryan
drumana

Post by drumana »

See, the thing is, you'll probably start actually ENJOYING and LOOKING FORWARD to shaving every day once you get the right set-up.

I personally would continue shaving the way I do now (daily with a DE razor) even if there was a magic pill.

If you really want no facial hair, you can get laser hair removal on the face, but I heard it looks really creepy girly manish.

I encourage you to invest that money you are putting into Mach 3 blades and get:
1. a decent brush
2. Merkur Classic or HD double edge razor
3. razor blade sampler pack
4. Body Shop shave cream

This is IMO a great start up kit and it'll cost you under $100.

Go for it, dude!
-Andrew-
smartfast

Post by smartfast »

Well put Renty. I wish that concept would apply to the real estate market out here on Long Island (open spaces going byebye :(

drumana, I gotcha on the laser hair thing .. it IS nice to have the option of keeping the rough some days.... even if its only to hear my girlfriend complain :)

I see your located in the US. Since so many people talk about UK retailers on here.. do you have a favorite american e-retailer that offers all the things you've mentioned at reasonable cost?

If you could also mention a preferred shave brush I may just jump on the drumana starter kit idea. I just sent a bunch of emails for free samples from some UK places i heard of, so we'll see how it works out :)
jAk440

Post by jAk440 »

drumana wrote: I encourage you to invest that money you are putting into Mach 3 blades and get:
1. a decent brush
2. Merkur Classic or HD double edge razor
3. razor blade sampler pack
4. Body Shop shave cream

This is IMO a great start up kit and it'll cost you under $100.
About $91:
Brush -- Edwin Jagger Best Badger at Crabtree & Evelyn = $35
Merkur HD -- at any number of internet shaving retailers = $30
Razor Blade Sampler Pack -- westcoastshaving.com = $13
Body Shop shave cream = $13

It's very much worth it. I've never heard of anyone regretting this.
Jordan
CK

Post by CK »

Pull the trigger man! Just do it already and you wont regret it. I think you are ready anyway as if you have been reading this forum for some time you definitely know the kind of response you would get. I would go for the Merkur HD along with a vulfix brush. All can be obtained at classicshaving.com

If you want to try some shaving creams before you buy, check out the links for samples in the shopping section.

-Charlie
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I'm thinking .. a 'magic pill' that lowers the rate at which our hair grows ...
Errr..... I think this one is out already... only it's usually acompanied with some surgical.... uhmmm... alterations where the individual would no longer be expected to shave..... facial hair.... :shock: The legs and armpits on the other hand would become the new focus of shaving. I think I'll stick to shaving my face and the rolling pin dept. agrees.

That said, the kit mentioned just above this post would be a very nice start and nothing would be wasted unless you just absolutely hated the scent of the cream. Still, if you just want to dip your toe in the water first, by all means do so. I did and I simply started by picking up a tube of Florena shaving cream for about $3 locally and I used my old boars brush that I hadn't used in over 10 years and my usual triple blade cartridge razor. Just doing the prep right and using a good if cheap quality shaving cream made all the difference to me. After that first shave I just knew I had to go back to the DE (I come from a time when there wasn't cartridge razors or throwaways for that matter.... back then I didn't know how to properly use the DE so when I got my hands on an electric, I promptly forgot about wetshaving....

The ingrowns can be a problem for many gents, just switching to a DE, Injector or even a straight razor can many times eliminate the problem. The reason being that cartridge razors apply hysterisis to get a quick, close shave. As the old ad went, the first blade shaves you close, the second even closer etc. etc. Problem is, if you yank the hair too far out and cut it off, the hair retracts below the skin surface and the hair shaft, now cut at an angle just like the tip of a hypodermic needle can now penetrate the skin from the inside and wander off in a direction never intended by nature... ie ingrowns and shavebumps. A single edge will simply lop the hair off near the surface thus leaving it to grow straight back out again. The downside of this is that the trouble area may not feel as smooth shaven as you would like but given the choice, most would pick not having ingrowns and bumps.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
TorzJohnson

Re: Why are there NO OTHER OPTIONS?!

Post by TorzJohnson »

smartfast wrote: I'm thinking .. the perfect formulation of men's facial nair .. one that doesnt stink, doesnt burn skin, works in minutes and lasts for weeks. I'm thinking .. a 'magic pill' that lowers the rate at which our hair grows ... or a cheap and effective laser treatment that keeps our faces babysmooth for months!!

Whats going on out there people? How is the BEST OPTION for men to rub sharp blades or spinning chunks of metal against one of the most sensitive parts of our body, and the one that is the FIRST for EVERYONE TO SEE EVERY DAY??

Something is surely wrong with that .............. or am I? I would appreciate anyone's input on the matter :)
Uh, you do know you're on shavemyface.com, right? :) A place where a bunch of people who enjoy shaving hang out? You might be better off asking this question at NoShavePill.com or IHateShaving.com.
Jim

smartfast

Post by smartfast »

lol thansk guys. I am jumping in and will be placing my order within the week.

And, I'm sure I will be back to this thread to apologize for inferring that carefully crafted classic dual-edge razors combined with the proper technique and accessories is NOT the best available method.... ;)

heres to hoping
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

smartfast wrote:lol thansk guys. I am jumping in and will be placing my order within the week.

And, I'm sure I will be back to this thread to apologize for inferring that carefully crafted classic dual-edge razors combined with the proper technique and accessories is NOT the best available method.... ;)

heres to hoping
It may not be the best possible, but it is certainly one of the best available. Have fun and good luck!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15973

If money is a factor, you can always start with the $10 Omega brush and a Weishi razor too.
~Jeff

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein
Rlayten

Post by Rlayten »

There are depillory creams and powders available for men in the shaving isle at most drug stores. Of course knowing the way they work, I think I will stick to my current methods.
Love the injector. Love the shaves.
--
Robert
EvenOdd

Post by EvenOdd »

Laser hair removal would make me cry. While I like having a clean shaven face in civilization, I also like the having the option of growing a full, thick beard and becoming a mountain man. I wouldn't want to burn that bridge. We all have our dreams.
Steven
paddy

Post by paddy »

even if there was a magic pill i wouldn't take it. i enjoy shaving.

paddy
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

If there were a magic pill to make our beards grow faster, most of us on this site would probably take it without thinking twice :lol:
Mike
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

"Why can't hair grow on top of my head?" I would prefer science figure out a true cure for that first.

Welcome and enjoy!

Chris
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

"Why can't hair grow on top of my head?" I would prefer science figure out a true cure for that first.
Amen!! :lol:
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If you can get an exactly perpendicular force against the end of each beard hair, it should push up through just fine. :lol:
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

If you can get an exactly perpendicular force against the end of each beard hair, it should push up through just fine.
But to do that would require me growing out my beard to have enough length to push through. That would mean I would miss my daily DE shave with the brush and soap.

NO THANKS, I'll just go with the bald head. :D

Chris
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

'WHY' would you want to put a foreign substance in your body? and why would you want to prevent hair from growing? It's nature, we've evolved the way we have for a reason.