FIRST WET SHAVE!!!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Teuton

FIRST WET SHAVE!!!

Post by Teuton »

Hey folks, my kit arrived today (Merkur HD, Rooney Super Silver) and I just had my first shave. I used Florena shaving cream (tube) because my Proraso has not yet arrived.

Ok, first I want to thank Mantic for his videos, they helped me a lot.

I would say my first shave was pretty good, I only did two passes because I am worried about irritation. Overall I got just as close as I would with my electric that I have been using for 6 years. however, the shave was much more fun and comfortable in comparision (no red blotches) In fact I got a closer shave in the neck area than I did with my electric. I only nicked myself once (actually I cut over an above skin black head and that's why) otherwise I am nick free. BTW, those styptic pens are amazing!!!

Overall if I am getting this comfortable and close a shave on my first go I cannot wait until I perfect the art form.

Some mistakes that I made but will correct in the future...

1) My beard was too long, I've been waiting all week for my supplies and wanted to so badly shave I left it grow. It was tugging a bit around my chin and I had to focus more on that area.

2) I probably should have softened the beard up more, maybe shower first than shave.

3) I don't think I am holding the shaver at the proper angle, any advice on this???

4) I don't think I made my lather thick enough (not enough water)

Also, how should I clean my brush?

All in all a wonderful experience, very please :)

Thanks all.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Teuton;

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a good start with wetshaving. Figuring out the correct blade angle for your particular skin will take some trial and error, but it looks like to did pretty well. The other thing is to use as little pressure as possible; that will keep away the razor burn. Mantic's videos are great, as are Leisureguys blog; he gives some great descriptions of shaving techniques.

Hang in there and enjoy the experience,

BobS
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

divotmax wrote:Teuton;

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a good start with wetshaving. Figuring out the correct blade angle for your particular skin will take some trial and error, but it looks like to did pretty well. The other thing is to use as little pressure as possible; that will keep away the razor burn. Mantic's videos are great, as are Leisureguys blog; he gives some great descriptions of shaving techniques.

Hang in there and enjoy the experience,

BobS
Thanks Bob, I AM enjoying the experience. It's a very satisfying experience. The pressure part is the hardest for me. I went into it saying to myself "no pressure, no pressure..." but I still found myself appyling pressure. It was subconcious because in some areas I noticed it wasn't getting very close but later realized it was blade angle and not pressure.

Live and learn.
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

hey Teuton,
when you say clean your brush, are you talking about pre cleaning your brush when it arrives or simply rinsing out all the lather post shave? If you are talking about the latter I simply rinse it with warm water on med-high pressure and I squeeze the lather out from the knot up and then rinse until clean. Then I shake out all the water I can (bloom down in the sink) and then I simply hang it upside down to dry. If you do not have a rack for this setting it on its base should be fine. When the brushes are new they have that wet dog smell that will go away in time with regular use so I don't think there is a need to pre-clean them. 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Mottern Man

Re: FIRST WET SHAVE!!!

Post by Mottern Man »

1. No worries.

2. Most important to prep the beard, if you do not shower before the shave atleast use hot water splashes (way more then you think you need and as hot as you can stand it). It may also help to stick a hot towl on your face. OR just shower first. :D

3. It will come in time. Shave a chunk of hair of your arm, at the angle it shaves you arm hair off close without pulling or scraping is the angle you want. (use the inside of your forearm if you use the upperside you may look like a dolt with hair patches everywhere).

4. Mantics vid on lathering is more then what I can tell you on how to do it, check it out and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

5. Rinse all the soap/cream out of it. give it a good shave, put it on a stand, or rest it on a base to air dry the rest of the way. Make sure she has plenty of air.
Will - "Doc"
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome. All the above advice is good. Keep practicing...