Need some help

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
DrRoboto

Need some help

Post by DrRoboto » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:43 pm

Well, I've read all I can find, so I'm turning to your collective experience for help.

I need a moisturizer/ASB that doesn't make my skin angry. I can consistently get irritation free shaves. No red splotches or bumps, UNTIL I've applied some kind of moisturizer or balm. This morning I even shaved with a feather DE blade, including an ATG pass, with good results. I applied Aqua Velva, and skipped any moisturizer. Skin looked fabulous. But about an hour later I started to feel the dryness. I've always had dry skin, and I need something for it, but I don't know what.

I've tried both Trumpers skin foods, Proraso Creama ASB, and Nivea Sensitive Skin. All with and without any other kind of aftershave. Same results every time I apply any of them, neck skin gets red and splotchy.

I intend to try Corn Huskers Lotion, as soon as I get my hands on some, anyone else with suggestions?
Robert

jAk440

Post by jAk440 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:51 pm

How about nothing? Have you tried nothing?
If you are prone to dry skin, you probably should avoid all alcohol-based after-shaves. If you don't use one of those, you may not need extra moisturizer after a shave with a moisturizing shave cream.
My suggestion is to shave with a nice, rich shave cream, rinse with cold water at the end, and pat dry. Then go about your day.
Jordan

prism

Post by prism » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Robert I would try Thayer's Witch Hazel or Harris Pink Afetrshave. Em's Place also offers a Cucumber aftershave splash, alcohol-free with aloe vera and witch hazel. That's all I can think of, I hope it helps.
Make Mine Menthol! Vic

DrRoboto

Post by DrRoboto » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Yes, I have tried nothing, as in no after shave and no balm. Results in uncomfortably dry skin for the majority of the day.

As far as my shave soaps go, I'm using Tabac mostly, a few TGQ soaps and Florena shave cream. None leave my skin with sufficient moisture.

I haven't tried the Thayer's or Harris products yet, that cucumber stuff sounds interesting too....
Robert

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Robert, I agree with Jordan; try nothing at all. Just rinse well, pat dry, and let it go at that. Really, give it a try. If you insist on using something, D R Harris's Pink Aftershave is the best stuff going, IMO, and is all I use since they altered their A/S Milk formula. Best of luck with all this.
Regards,
Gordon

Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:41 pm

Robert,
I have been getting really good results while using Lucky Tiger aftershave and skin tonic. It is a very mild aftershave that is alcohol-free and has a very pleasent scent (citrus) and it makes my face feel great. It leaves your face feeling nice and moisturized because it has some glycerin in it. It costs about $18 Nordstroms and I highly recommend it to anyone. 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"

prism

Post by prism » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:46 pm

Robert, as far as shave soaps go, I have heard great things about the Institut Karite soap. 25% shea butter and reputed to be very moisturizing. I have'nt tried it yet, but I believe Michael (Leisureguy) had a nice experience with it.
Make Mine Menthol! Vic

paperpundit

Post by paperpundit » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:50 pm

Robert,

Here is another idea...olive oil hand soap before you shave. Very slick and moisturizing...and I've taken a brush to it for a shave with pretty good results.

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:29 pm

Try shaving with Body Shop cream, or even Kiss My Face cream. I think creams are generally better for this.

JimT

Post by JimT » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Robert,

Nothing may be your best bet.

I use Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel for my one and only daily aftershave. The scent is natural and does not linger, the 10% alcohol has never caused me any irritation, and the aloe vera in the witch hazel provides a nice touch of moisture. There are no preservatives in the lemon witch hazel. I have also tried the Thayers Rose Witch Hazel and I much preferred the lemon. Good luck.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"

kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:22 pm

This almost sounds like shaving irritation.... When I started out, I'd feel fine until I went to work the next day... I start to sweat and all of a sudden my neck was red and burning. The real easy way to check for shaving irritation is to run a bloc of alum over your face.... if you don't feel much of anything, your shaving technique is fine... if it stings here and there you know you're still overdoing it.

I'm not saying this is the problem but it's just a thought. I could shave the night before, toss on some balm, feel great and yet the next day when I would work up a sweat the irritation would rear it's ugly head. Of course it's never the same for everyone so your situation may be entirely different.

If it is a moisture problem, try using something that you know works without irritation such as a hand cream or what have you. Just because the stuff we normally use is called after shave balm or after shave whatever, doesn't mean you can only use that... If you have a favorite hand lotion or something similar that you know works fine without irritation of any kind, use that. If you still get the red, irritated skin afterwards you'll know it's shaving irritation and not the product.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.

Bond

Post by Bond » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:40 am

have you tried using a toner before applying moisturiser bullie do some really good ones speciffically for after shaving
-Dave-