What kind of pre-shave do you guys use/what do you do...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

In the shower, I wash my face first to remove all of the oils that my skin secreted over the previous 24hrs. As I lather up my hair with the 2in1, I also rub it into the facial hair (the conditioner in it softens up the hair). I leave it on while I'm soaping up. I rinse myself and lather up with a shaving soap (to keep the hair moisturized and to make the blade glide over the skin). As for Proraso, I don't use it as a pre-shave but since I love the minty blast, I use it often as an aftershave.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
yayavarman

Post by yayavarman »

No preshave. Just a shower, brush and cream. Sometimes I shave in the shower, sometimes I shave over the sink. I wash my face with soap after I shave not before.

I have proraso pre/post but I honestly dont feel a difference when I use it and when I dont. Dont flame me for this but I just think its just the placebo effect. The proraso pre/post contains paraben and aslong as theres still a controversy around parabens I dont see any reason to use more then necessary. Less chemicals you use the better it is right? Infact I'm going to switch to 100% organic ingredients. Its just 100% natural shaving products are hard to find. Even the bodyshop shaving cream contains parabens. So honestly I dont get the fuss about proraso pre/post. But what do I know I've just started wetshaving 3 months ago.
innotivity

Post by innotivity »

Shaving is individual anyways, there are too many variables you can't account for in each face. Proraso may not make a difference for you. That's the tough thing about this, in the end you still have to try it out. Me personally, my beard can cut steel wool, so any help I can get softening it helps. Unless I use a feather, it kills. But that's just me.

There is no right or wrong. :)

db
fritz

Post by fritz »

jAk440 wrote:Vic -- The Proraso Pre/Post stuff is $4 less than Prep (at least from Giovanni) for the same amount. You might want to give it a try. It's very good, and certainly fits your preference for mentholated stuff.
I really like Proraso, and a 100 ml glass jar lasts about 2 months, for $12 from Giovanni. BUT, he sells the 500 ml tub for $40, saves $20 over 5 of the little ones. It's in a plastic tub, too, so you save a little on shipping (those glass jars are really heavy). I saved one of the glass jars and re-fill it from the monster tub; it takes up less space on the counter that way.
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff
fritz

Post by fritz »

Rather than re-post the whole thing here, I'll just give you a link to my "800-pound gorilla" technique. Probably should read the thread down from there, since there are some variations added.
Note that this technique will be overkill for many people who do not have really tough beards. But if you do, you will probably really like the results.
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff