I need some help and my wife needs a bit of advice

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
aircraft_electrician

I need some help and my wife needs a bit of advice

Post by aircraft_electrician »

A week after a pretty nasty motorcycle accident, I'm left typing this with much difficulty and can no longer shave myself (2 shattered wrists make it difficult to hold onto a razer). I really don't consider growing a beard an option, but the only way around it is to have my wife shave me.

Does anyone here have any advice for her? She'll more than likely be using my Sensor and some of The Body Shop's creme.

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. The motorcycle accident wasn't my fault. A young lady in a small crossover SUV pulled out in front of me while I was going down a 2 lane highway at 50MPH.
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I'm sorry to hear about the accident, Tom. I hope you heal quickly.

As for advice for your wife, I've never shaved anyone else, so I don't know what she might need to think about as far as pressure. The angle of a Sensor ought to be pretty forgiving, though. I hope some other forum members come up with some practical advice for you both.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Tom,

I can't think of any shaving tips because I'm too shocked to hear about your accident. Unbelievable. We're all glad to hear that you are still with us! I sure hope you get on the mend post haste. I'm sure the guys will kick in and give you some great advice. BTW, my cousins are from Danville. I used to go down there from Chicago and ride through Kickapoo State Park with my cousin on our bikes.

Keep positive!

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tom, I'm glad you're still with us. I lost a friend a few years back, pretty much exactly like that, here in Tampa. With a Sensor, it shouldn't be that difficult for your wife. Light touch, shorter strokes then she may be used to from doing her legs, and stretch the skin a little with her free hand. You can tell by sight whether she has the lather right, and can guide her verbally re: more water, less water etc. Hang in there.
Regards,
Gordon
stealth

Post by stealth »

I might suggest, however blasphemous as it may sound, that you have her start off with a Mach 3 or Fusion. The pivoting head can be far more forgiving since the razor sets its own angle properly - the shave might not be as comfortable as a Sensor, but you both might have an easier time. Good luck with your recovery.
Sue
Vendor

Post by Sue »

Tom,
I have no advice for your wife to help you shave. I've never done it. But, I want to tell you how sorry I am to hear of your accidentt and wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Best of wishes to you, Sue
slcsteve

Post by slcsteve »

Tom

Sorry to hear about the accident - I've been there myself and more than once. You might want to reconsider a beard, perhaps having your wife tidy it up from time to time. I suspect that your wife may have her hands full looking after you for a while and one thing less for her to do wouldn't hurt.

Take care
Steve

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Tom,

I know this is a tough time, and it seems important to maintain normalcy. But this isn't a normal time, and it would be healthy to admit that. I'm with Steve; you're a wet shaver, and you can't right now, so let the beard grow.

Symbols matter in our lives. When you're ready to climb back on that horse, then shave off the beard with your favorite razor. That will help you let out the clutch.

--Glenn
Bond

Post by Bond »

when they train barbers to use cut throat razors they soap up a balloon, if they can shave the balloon without popping it theyre then ready to move on to a paying customer.

Get well soon Tom and all the best
-Dave-
sysiphus

Post by sysiphus »

My father had an accident many years ago that required him to be shaved by my mother for a while.

Definitely use a cartridge razor, preferrably a swivel-headed jobby, and tell her to use the same caution as she does when shaving behind her knees and around her ankles. That should give her enough information.

Also, if she uses a razor for her "bikini line", ask her to treat your mug with the same care!
David
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Tom - best wishes for a speedy recovery. Did you at least manage to total the SUV? :wink:
Anyway - how about you find a local barber to give you a good close shave each Saturday? It'd take the pressure off your wife, add some pleasure to your situation, and satisfy some shave geek instincts. (Plus you might be able to claim the price of the shaves from the SUV driver's insurance... :twisted: ).
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

What a great way to score a womans phone number. She cannot even say no!!! LOL

Sorry to hear about your accident. I went through the same thing. Suz gs1000 straight into the side of a car........

get well soon and forget the shaves. take kisses instead.

:lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

fallingwickets wrote:get well soon and forget the shaves. take kisses instead.
Cilve, you hit the nail on the head!
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Sorry to hear about the accident. Sometimes cagers are just plain clueless. I hope you get to go riding again early next season!
Make sure the prep's extra good. The sensor should do ok for initial training until she gets comfortable enough to use a real razor. Make sure she gets to know the directions of the grain everywhere.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
KenS

Post by KenS »

I'll add my best wishes too. A former moto rider that was lucky.
Go for the beard, it isn't all that tough to get used to.
Ken.
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

When I see the ICU nurses shave patients they use a disposable razor -- ASR makes the razors used in hospitals. The idea about a Mach 3 or maybe a Bic metal? Get well.

dave
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Thanks for all the replies and the kind words. I really like the idea of finding a barber to shave me, but I haven't been able to find one locally that does shaves.

Does anyone know of a barber in Champaign-Urbana or Danville, Illinois that does shaves?

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!