PICTURE ADDED: Look what I found in the attic!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
handlebar

PICTURE ADDED: Look what I found in the attic!

Post by handlebar »

I was in NJ last weekend for my 40th HS reunion and to visit my 93 year old mother. Since my mother is in a nursing home I spent some time alone at the house I grew up in. It is vacant now, but I still stay there when I go up and visit. We are in the process of getting a title search so we can sell it. It is only 8 miles from Manhattan on the Jersey side and easy to get into the city. It sits on .35 acres and has a two family (12 room) house on it, but I digress.

I went into the attic to see what goodies there may be hiding up there and lo and behold I found a shaving mug. It is a copper mug plated in silver. I am going to venture a guess that it is easily. 70+ years old. It was either my grandfathers or my great uncles. Both are dead between 50 and 58 years. It is stamped "Federal" on the bottom. It was full of verdigris (green) and very dirty. I wondered if I could ever get it clean. Well, I took it to school (I am a high school science teacher) and soaked it in a mild solution of nitric acid. It seemed to clean it a little, but still nothing I would put soap in. So I got to thinking, what would happen if I poured concentrated nitric on it and immediately rinsed it as to limit damage. Well, my guess was right. It came out beautiful. I left a little of the green in some of the crevices because it gives the mug some character. When I got home I polished it with silver polish and it looks great. Now I have an antique mug that has been given a second chance at life. If some one could tell me how to post a picture I will do so as soon as I take one.

Any one have an idea what this thing may be worth?
Last edited by handlebar on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Handlebar :}
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Getting the picture in your computer is the hard part, and you'll have to deal with that. Know where it is on your drive.

When you come to post your message, directly under the box where you are typing, it says "Add image to post". Click that; click the "Choose File" button that comes up next; navigate to where you stored the picture, and it uploads for you.
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

Yeah, before you make a post like that you HAVE to have a picture on hand! :D Now I'm anxious to see it....
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I would love to see it as well!
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I wouldn't part with a family heirloom for any price.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I agree that unless you're truly desperate for cash to buy food, this mug is worth far more in your hand than in anyone else's.
handlebar

Post by handlebar »

I'm not going to sell it, just curious as to the potential value of an old thing like this. Here is my attempt upload a picture.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I know someone has to make an offer, If you are going sell it and it doesn't have any sentimantle value...

$5.00 :wink: Or your best offer...

Which will it be...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
handlebar

Post by handlebar »

Like I said, not for sale. I am just curious. Do I look like I need food?
handlebar

Post by handlebar »

I've added a photo for those that wanted to see what the mug (the shaving mug, not my mug) looked like.
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

That's a mighty moustache you have.
handlebar

Post by handlebar »

I started it when I was a sophomore in college, in 19mmmmm, and it just keeps getting thicker and thicker. I have always admired a big stache, now I have one.
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

For an idea of what it is worth check ebay under shaving and you can see what silver plated shaving mugs sell for. Of course it is worth far more to you as a family heirloom than whatever it would bring commercially. Must be cool to lather up with Granddad's old mug . :)
Regards,

jimmy
handlebar

Post by handlebar »

I don't remember him. He died in 1949 when I was 6 months old. But there is some sort of connection to a man I never knew other than in pictures. He had a large mustache as well, but he kept his a little better trimmed than I do.
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

Handle,
that is a superb moustache. well done, sir! i would like to get there one day. my only question is what happens at the dentist? (serously.) i have often imagined growing out my moustache and then didn't for fear of getting dirty looks at the dentist....
handlebar

Post by handlebar »

Going to the dentist is not a problem, now eating an ice cream cone-now that is a problem. Take another look and you'll see why.
handlebar

Post by handlebar »

Wow!, I think I made that picture too big.
salbev
Mr. Fidelity

Post by salbev »

Handle,
i think i may be too paranoid about the dentist! :lol:
your facial hair suits you very well, FWIW. i look forward to growing mine out in the neighbourhood. ice cream is far too important to pass up just because a few spoonfuls get mixed up in the 'stache and chin music. carry on!
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I see two good looking "mugs" in that picture! (Handle, we're the same age give or take a month). Hang on to that heirloom. Every time you look at it it will give you a smile. Hey, have you tried eating ice cream out of it????????

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Bill,
The thought of eating ice cream out of that mug mad me laugh out loud. It then becomes awkward trying to explain why I am on a shaving forum to others in the room :oops: . And what could possibly be so funny.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>