Colonial Drug outing. . .

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

M6Classic wrote:
Gareth wrote:I've heard a lot of great things about this place and it looks incredible. I'd love to go in there one day. If I'm ever over that way, I will have to make sure I make a special visit. It doesn't look too dissimilar to the shaving and fragrance shops in St. James', London.
...and yet, there are none so fortunate as those who can on a whim swing by St. James's, Jermyn Street, and Picadilly.

Buzz
I know what your saying Buzz, but the novelty kind of wears off after a while. Sometimes i think it would be nice just to be able to visit somewhere like Colonial Drug once in a while.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Gareth wrote:I know what your saying Buzz, but the novelty kind of wears off after a while. Sometimes i think it would be nice just to be able to visit somewhere like Colonial Drug once in a while.
I work about a ten minute walk from Colonial Drug, it is where I go for my everyday shaving needs...we should swap situations a couple of months out of each year!

Buzz
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

M6Classic wrote:
Gareth wrote:I know what your saying Buzz, but the novelty kind of wears off after a while. Sometimes i think it would be nice just to be able to visit somewhere like Colonial Drug once in a while.
I work about a ten minute walk from Colonial Drug, it is where I go for my everyday shaving needs...we should swap situations a couple of months out of each year!

Buzz
Sounds like a plan, Buzz!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gareth, For more of the Colonial or Cambridge Chemists ( NYC ) experiance, have you checked out Maitlands at #1 Piccadilly Arcade, or John Bell & Croyden?
Regards,
Gordon
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

bernards66 wrote:Gareth, For more of the Colonial or Cambridge Chemists ( NYC ) experiance, have you checked out Maitlands at #1 Piccadilly Arcade, or John Bell & Croyden?
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, No I haven't visited them - thanks for the recommendation. It's been about a year since I last walked though Piccadilly Arcade, and those were the days before DE shaving.

I have added those two to my long list of places to visit when I go next Monday.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gareth, Enjoy. Let us know how your little junket goes....so we here can live vicariously ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

I'd love to be able to check out those places.

Oh well, I'll just have to do with what I have available and visit Enchante after work this evening

:lol:
Mike
drumana

Post by drumana »

bump. . .

went to Colonial Drug today in the hopes of buying a couple tubs of Taylor's Avocado (one for me, one for my bro-in-law). Unfortunately, they were out. But Cathy did supply me with a sample size of it to hold me over, as well as:

- a sample of Bronnley shave cream. I haven't heard too much about this cream on the boards. I'm trying it tomorrow, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

- also, Cathy being ever so kind and generous (as per usual), gave me cologne samples of: Yatagan; Roger & Gallet Vetiver; Castle Forbes 1445; Royal Vetiver; Chypre L'Orient; Teck (not sure which one); Keiko Mecheri - Peau

Does anyone have any experience with Bronnley shave cream or these colognes? So far I've tried on the R&G Vetiver - it's good, but not very long lasting on me, only an hour or so it seems - unless I bathe in it I guess.
-Andrew-
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andrew, Well, the one they used to offer was a brushless cream. Not my thing. I'm familiar with some of those colognes, yeah.....again, not my cup of tea. really. Yatagan is...well....unusual....a quality product, but different. Have fun checking them all out.
Regards,
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

Gordon

Yes, well. . . The R&G Vetiver and the Royall Vetiver were nice, the latter being a little deeper and complex IMO, but sadly they lasted all of about 20 minutes on me it seemed. Very light.

Yatagan - I was looking forward to this test. Smells like pine. . . a lot of it - at first I kinda liked it, but it didn't develop too much on me and I started to feel like someone rubbed Christmas-time pot-pourri all over me and then left some in all of my pockets. Once I got this in my mind it was all over for me. I actually took another shower to wash it off. That's enough of that one!

The Castle Forbes 1445 I quite like. This sounds weird, but there is something very "round" in the fragrance. . . hahaha. I'm not sure what I'm talking about, but there it is. It lasts many hours on me, smells light and fresh.
-Andrew-
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

Dang I gotta check this place out. I work at Boston College and supposedly it's only about 15 minutes from here. I'm not much of a city guy. What would be the easiest way for me to get there? Drive in with my car or take the rail? I'm noob by the way. Name's Scott. I recognize some of you from the msnbc group. Been DE shaving for 3 weeks :-)
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

HBK42581 wrote:Dang I gotta check this place out. I work at Boston College and supposedly it's only about 15 minutes from here. I'm not much of a city guy. What would be the easiest way for me to get there? Drive in with my car or take the rail? I'm noob by the way. Name's Scott. I recognize some of you from the msnbc group. Been DE shaving for 3 weeks :-)
Take the Red Line to Harvard Square, by the time you found a legal parking spot, the shop would be closing. Colonial Drug is just a three or four minute walk from even the most distant Red Line exit. The shop is on Brattle Street, just a block in from the Graduate School of Education and opposite Crate and Barrel nigh the corner with Story Street.

Buzz
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

M6Classic wrote:
HBK42581 wrote:Dang I gotta check this place out. I work at Boston College and supposedly it's only about 15 minutes from here. I'm not much of a city guy. What would be the easiest way for me to get there? Drive in with my car or take the rail? I'm noob by the way. Name's Scott. I recognize some of you from the msnbc group. Been DE shaving for 3 weeks :-)
Take the Red Line to Harvard Square, by the time you found a legal parking spot, the shop would be closing. Colonial Drug is just a three or four minute walk from even the most distant Red Line exit. The shop is on Brattle Street, just a block in from the Graduate School of Education and opposite Crate and Barrel nigh the corner with Story Street.

Buzz
SLICK! Thanks for the info. Speaking of the shop closing....what are the hours that they operate?

M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

You should call Colonial, they may have holiday hours, what with Christmas and all on the horizon. Their number is (617) 864-2222.

Buzz
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

M6Classic wrote:You should call Colonial, they may have holiday hours, what with Christmas and all on the horizon. Their number is (617) 864-2222.

Buzz
Good idea! Thanks!

Titanium

Post by Titanium »

Hey Scott if you haven't made it to Colonial yet here's an easy way to get there from Boston College (I live in Cleveland Circle) You can catch the 86 Bus on Chestnut Hill Ave and it'll drop you off right at Harvard Square. Much faster than heading in town to catch the red line. Hope this helps.
Angel