How do you get the closest shave possible?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Johnnie
Shave This

How do you get the closest shave possible?

Post by Johnnie »

I have been wet shaving for about 5 months now and I have gotten somewhat good at it. IMO. But for some reason I can not seem to get close enough. I do not have a thick beard but it seems on my left jaw line no matter every which direction I shave I can't get close enough. I always seem to have a little stuble.

My process:

I shave in the shower so I am in their about 10 minutes before I even start to shave. After washing my body and hair I begin to wash my face with either Clearly Natural or Aqua Terra soap. I make sure to wash my face thoroughly. After I wash my face, I soak my brush in the running water and apply the brush to the soap or cream. I make sure the lather is nice and thick.

I never have problems with razor burn or ingrown hairs. So I shave N-S & E-W to make sure I get as close as possible. After I rinse in warm water I turn the hot water off and rinse my face in super cold water. Well it doesnt seem to be working in some areas of my face.

Maybe my I don't prep enough or maybe I need to shave TWICE.

What are some techniques that can help get as close as possible? I normally dont need to get super close for everyday purposes, but I would like to be as smooth as possible for special situations.

KEEP IT WET!

Johnnie
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

What kind of razor are you using? Also, your lather might be *too* thick. That was my problem for a while. You might want to experiment by creating lather normally, then adding water a little at a time until it "breaks" into a foamy soup. You'll probably be suprised how much more water the cream can take before it breaks. Then try lathering with just a bit more water when you shave. It made a noticable difference for me.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I use a M3 or M3T. Depends on my mood. Ya maybe I am making the lather to thick.

Thanks
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Johnnie,

I find that the only way i can get a close shave is with an open blade like a double edge. I can't get a close shave with a mach 3. The hair is back in a few hours. my face in the morning is like 100 grit sandpaper. perhaps a DE is the next experiment? Or perhaps a disposable bic? Short strokes work best.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Johnnie,

I think Pete (clownjuggles) might be on to something. I would recommend really observing which way your hair grows. Then shave against the grain with a DE razor such as the Merkur Progress. Shaving against the grain with a good DE blade should not give ingrown hairs and should be VERY close.

The only gotcha is that you'll have to develop a good technique to avoid razor burn as well as excellent prep.

Vince
:::Vince:::
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Vince,

Thanks for chiming in. We all have to work it out ourselves.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

True Pete! Working it out is what it's all about. I love to experiment. Eventually I'll go down the path of using a straight razor but I'm not there quite yet.

Vince
:::Vince:::