What I've learned so far...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

Great post, although now I am a bit concerned that I just bought some GFT violet earlier today, I was exited because it is going to be my first high end cream, until now it has mainly been Proraso. Thank you though on a great articulate yet concise post.

Sergio
drumana

Post by drumana »

One question for you guys. I keep seeing all these posts about the reformulations of all of these creams from the 3 T's. Are they really that bad??? As in I should probably not buy them as they are not worth a damn anymore? What happened to them?
So, I'm no authority on this - only been wetshaving for just under a year, but. . .

TOBS: I've tried the Avocado and the Almond. I find them to be excellent - especially for the price $13 a tub. Dabble with these first IMO. I will purchase more of these in the future.

T&H: I've tried the Ultimate Comfort, 1805, and Almond. I didn't care too much for the UC, I like the 1805, and the Almond was very similiar to the TOBS Almond - good but twice the price :x . I probably won't purchase more of these - but you could twist my arm and get them for me as a gift :D

I haven't tried any soaps from these guys and I haven't tried any of Trumpers' stuff.

I don't know, maybe I'm a heathen - but these creams are OK in my book.
-Andrew-
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Wonderful post Michael!
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

Awesome post! It has swayed me to do the following changes to my routine this morning:

- going to use my HD loaded with a Derby
- Musgo Real Shave Cream
- Face lathering (for 7 minutes!)
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Very enjoyble post, Michael. I wish you'd find time to post more often. One thing I learned today, thanks to you, is a new word: "inspissated."

Dave T
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

Hear hear.
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
drumana

Post by drumana »

Leaving a bit of shaving cream residue on the face and towelling it in is as good as anything.
I never really thought about doing this, but it makes sense. I tried it today with my Body Shop cream and it worked very well - I really didn't need any other after shave product. :D I'm going to try this several days in a row and see how my skin reacts. . .
-Andrew-
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

Michael, Sir,

You should write a book.

Vesa
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Now I know what's been missing around here lately. Do call again!

(And I'm glad that you and the straight are getting along together!)

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

drmoss_ca wrote: (And I'm glad that you and the straight are getting along together!)

Chris
It's getting a little friend next week...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

One of a kind post. =D>
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
RJ

Post by RJ »

Thanks for bringing a newb back down to earth. I've gotten so caught up in the newness that I find myself inquiring about/purchasing different brushes, razors and creams when in reality, the ones I have work fine. Don't get so caught up in the details that your forget to enjoy the experience.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, by George, you certainly seem to be coming along. Why in another couple of years on SMF and you'll be really on top of it.....probably even moved past those mediocre Derby blades by then ( chuckle ). A great post, as yours always are, especially the ones where you let it roll a bit. Don't necessarily agree on each and every point, but then, it would be bizarre if I did, keeping in mind your final 'shaving rule '.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Leaving a bit of shaving cream residue on the face and towelling it in is as good as anything
As good as anything is understatement of the year!
Fidelity works. It used to be my
I am forever grateful to to Gordon for teaching me this.

Thanks for the great read Michael.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

This should be a sticky.

Being new to DE shaving, even though I've shaved for 30 years, Bargepole hits it right on the head.

This post + Mantic's videos = relatively painless intro to DE/wet shaving.

Thank you for the post.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hoos wrote:This should be a sticky.

Being new to DE shaving, even though I've shaved for 30 years, Bargepole hits it right on the head.

This post + Mantic's videos = relatively painless intro to DE/wet shaving.

Thank you for the post.
I agree.

It is also a great contribution to the culture of this forum.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Fabulous read - whether you agree entirely or not with all content. A true Shaving Editorial - it deserves a front-page column in The Wall Street Journal :)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JimReynolds

Re: What I've learned so far...

Post by JimReynolds »

Great post. Now to touch on something specific from it...
Bargepole wrote:Because the BBS is for US. Women, on the whole, either don't care or actively don't like it. They like us being men. They don't want our faces to feel like a baby's bottom or any other part of a baby or a women. They want our faces to feel like MEN'S faces.
I'm a 26 year old single guy who is always looking to improve his appearance here and there to help increase the odds of, well, not being single anymore. So my latest thought process has been about whether women like men who are completely clean shaven ("BBS") or who have some stubble (the "scruffy" look). After speaking with a number of people, plus reading a whole bunch of posts about it on places like Yahoo Answers, it seems that most women are fine with some scruffiness (including a decent portion actually preferring the scruff), and a smaller percentage saying that they must have the clean shaven guy. As someone who can't get BBS without using problem-causing angles (ATG), it's comforting to know this.

-Jim (a.k.a. Mr. Scruff)
"Don't be a schnook. It's not how you feel, it's how you look!"
Johnny_Z

Post by Johnny_Z »

Anybody who writes like that and has Cthluhu as his avatar is cool in my book. =D>
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Michael,

I missed this thread when originally posted (being absent and all). I want to thank to Clive for bringing it to my attention now, though.

Michael, you sir have quite a gift with the written word. I very much enjoy your posts. They are just magical. Thank you for the informative and entertaining read.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain