The most important thing I've learned about shaving.

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Kazaam

The most important thing I've learned about shaving.

Post by Kazaam »

In the last few weeks, anyway.

The angle of the razor makes ALL the difference! At first I didn't really realize this, and I was getting terrible shaves, ingrowns, and cuts everywhere! Now i get really awesome shaves that feel good, grow back out nicely, take a while to grow out, and just look good. That is all fellow shavers.

Other tips that will make you say "I told you so": make sure you figure out the growth patterns of your hair, it definitely makes a HUGE difference once you get it down right. Also, don't give up.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Angle is crucial. It makes the difference between comfort and raw, irritated skin.
Rich
Teuton

Post by Teuton »

I didn't take pre-shave seriously until recently.

All I do is soak my face in warm water for 3-5 minutes and then lather.

I can't believe how much better my shaves have got.
the_prince

Post by the_prince »

Teuton wrote:I didn't take pre-shave seriously until recently.

All I do is soak my face in warm water for 3-5 minutes and then lather.

I can't believe how much better my shaves have got.
How exactly do you soak your face? Most of us take a shower before shaving.
Best Regards,
Sami
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

because the ANGLE is so crucial...along with proper blade choice for your face...and pre shave prep...the FIDELITY with one razor and blade combo makes so much sense. My Merkur 38C Derby combo is effortless after months of Fidelity to this set up. I'd recommend it.
Mike
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Antique Hoosier wrote:because the ANGLE is so crucial...along with proper blade choice for your face...and pre shave prep...the FIDELITY with one razor and blade combo makes so much sense. My Merkur 38C Derby combo is effortless after months of Fidelity to this set up. I'd recommend it.
Maybe I'll settle down someday but for now I just can't bring myself to adopt the practice of fidelity when it comes to shaving. I've been faithful to one woman for 28 years. But having flings with multiple razors, blades, soaps, creams, and brushes is just too irresistible!
Rich
bert

fidelity

Post by bert »

yep i concur on the fidelity thing
what works best for me is finding one thing that works and staying with it
and the pre shave hot towel even for 1 minute or so makes a big difference
Lionhearted

Post by Lionhearted »

the_prince wrote:How exactly do you soak your face? Most of us take a shower before shaving.
I have no idea what the percentage is but I rarely take a shower before shaving. For ten years I used an electric where any moisture on my face made shaving very difficult with the shaver I used so I got in the habit of shaving before a shower. Nowadays I usually shower at night and shave in the morning. I soak my face with hot towels twice before lathering.

Richard