Censors Suck

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I was wondering if this was the real Jackie Martling, but then you said you were 32 yo.

I have never used a DE but I have lots of good things about them. From what I have read it is great for gents who get razors burn and ingrown hairs. I have never had that problem. I am able to shave in any direction.

Most of the other guys in this forum have used a DE and they will probably be able to tell you their experiences. I'm sure they will be able to convince you.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hi Jackie,

I'm currently using a Merkur Progress DE as part of my shaving rotation. I actually also own the Mach 3 Turbo, M3 Power, Sensor Excel, and Gillette Atra.

In all honestly it did take me awhile to get the hang of the DE. My main problem when I first started was razor burn. I now find that with the proper prep I can get both a close and comfortable shave with no problem. I still use all the gillette razors though because they help me speed things up in the morning when I'm usually running late for work.

As for the Merkur Progress it really is a fine shaving instrument. It's adjustable so you can somewhat control the blade angle and exposure. This is also the only razor that allows me to comfortably shave against the grain. As a matter of fact when I need a really close shave I will first use my Mach 3 with the grain and then across the grain. Then I will use the Merkur Progress DE to go against the grain on the neck area which usually has the most leftover stubble following a first pass with the grain.

I find that a really good lather from Taylors creams and a silvertip brush make all the difference when it comes to using a DE. Nowadays you can pickup a really nice Gillette DE on Ebay for $10-$20. That seems like a pretty small risk considering the potential reward of close and comfortable shaves. I say go for it man....you can't lose! And if it turns out that the DE is not for you, you could easily re-sell it and get your money back!
:::Vince:::
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Well Jackie,
Good advice already here.... my .02...

-Take time to prep the beard properly (lots of hot water)but DON"T OVER prep!

-Build the lather ...good badger brush and quality soap, or cream (take time lathering your face! 2 or 3 minutes at least! Enjoy it!)

-Start with a Gillette Adjustable on 2 and shave with the grain the first couple of times

-Keep the skin stretched tight with your free hand and take short deliberate strokes, rinsing the blade often. NO pressure on the razor ... just let the weight of the razor glide across your face.

.((.. this is where I think guys get into trouble. They press the razor to the skin like they do with the lighter razors/multi blades/ plastic/ stuff.... and the DE will definitely take a piece outta' your face if you press. Especially if you open the 'agressiveness' of angle on an adjustable))

-Rinse your face with hot water, then cold.

-Use a moisturizer or balm (whatever you choose)

-Your favorite After shave lotion

-should be good to go!
( last step... clean up your mess, rinse out the badger brush properly and hang it to dry!!!)

-Don't open up the 'agressiveness' of the blade until you are comfortable with the razor.

I generally tell guys to start with #2 if they don't get quite close enough with 1 pass... next shave, use #3.
I, myself start with #7 for the first pass, but dial back to #3 for the S-N pass and cross-grain pass. But I have a very tough beard and I have used the double edge for 35 years! Now I am back to the str8, for now.

Regards to ya'.... Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

That's all cool JM

I am glad you already have the basics down pat.
Myself, I am just getting into the elegant creams and soaps and only got a badger brush at Christmas... man that brush made a huge difference all by itself!!!! More lather than I know what to do with now...LOL

I always did the hot towels, lots of water and built (what I thought was) a good lather and treated my face pretty good. I was trained on a str8 razor from age 10, then went to DE in High School. Tried the light/new/fad stuff, but always went back to the DE. Right now the str8 is a nostalgia thing for me... but I am REALLY enjoying it. AND my skin is much healthier and my beard is getting thicker (if that was possible) at almost 50 yr old!

Anyway, good luck with your chosen instrument, they are not all that different I don't think. Some are prettier, some give a more agressive angle, some are adjustable.... you know.....

Let us know how you make out.

Regards, Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Well JM,

I will be truthful.... I have never shaved with a Merkur.
I have seen them up close and used many different ones in the day when they were popular. I've used Merkur blades (not worth the hype).

What I think you have to remember when using these razors is .. you have to be careful, keep your attention on the task at hand, stroke by stroke. There is no room for day dreaming. With the multi-blades and throw-aways in general, it seems one can just throw the razor around in any old direction at mach speed and get at least acceptable results.

You cannot do that with a DE (and don't even think about anything else with a straight razor!).

If you can concentrate, slow down considerably (even if you are careful with the M3 types) and take slow, deliberate, measured short strokes.... you should be okay with whatever implement you choose.

There is a "learning curve" with whatever change in razor you make. Your face will probably kickup a fuss, no matter what... until it gets used to the sharp blade against the skin and new strokes. It is, for me, an enjoyable feeling... cold steel against my skin, knowing a slip could be.... well, unfavorable :roll:

I am told the Merkurs are aggressive... I don't know. The old non-adjustable Gillettes were pretty aggressive too! But, men used them without bleeding all over the bathroom!
I have read on one of the forums, that "This is not rocket science" and that is correct. Some make this out to be an almost unattainable skill, the way they talk about it. BUT, one does have to give the blade due respect and pay attention.
Study your own beard... know it's twist and turns... stroke accordingly.
I would suggest you forego the second pass for a few shaves. after a couple of shaves, then do a second pass WITH the grain. You should be able to get as close or closer than your M3 with two passes WITH the grain
using the double edge, if you keep the skin taught with the free hand.

I like the short-handled Gillette adjustable ... because I hold it lightly in my finger tips and let the weight of the razor HEAD (not the handle) do the work. With a beefy handle I may have a tendency to "grip it" and ....there goes the shave. (I am the guy who used to break head bolts on big block Chevys on a sunday afternoon when I couldn't buy them!! So, I have a talent for gripping things too hard!)

If you can remember all that... choose whatever razor appeals to you and learn to use it proficiently. Don't buy something you know you want to upgrade later... I have used the same Gillette for 35 years and it is as good as new. I recently bought another on ebay, just so I would have a spare if anything should happen to mine. I don't need to upgrade and really don't see the sense in planning for it.

See if you can borrow a DE razor... you may not like it at all... then you would have a better idea which way to go. If I had my spare here, I'd send it... even with the Canadian postal crap (costs too much and they take forever) Maybe someone on the board has a spare that's not too far away and you could try it for a week or so?????
That's what I would do anyhooooooo, if I were in your position.

Good Luck friend.

There's another book by....

Gramps travel (shave) safe
~~ Larry ~~
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Take Gramps advice. The man has shaved with a KNIFE. He knows what he is talking about.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

LOL Johnnie!!! :lol:

Actually, if JM was to read Charles' response to your razor question in the razor topic... there is a wealth of info there too.
Charles has been working with and researching this stuff for a long time and is very knowledgable. I would defer to his assessment of all related material and products.

Travel safe,

Gramps
~~ Larry ~~