How to keep hair short, but not take it completely off

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
dasdas

How to keep hair short, but not take it completely off

Post by dasdas »

I keep a bit of goatee-like stubble. Right now I'm using a crappy electric trimmer with a spacer on it to keep the hair a certain length (about 1/16" of an inch, maybe shorter).

Is there any way to do this with a safety razor?
sebell

Post by sebell »

Interesting question. I think you are using the right
tool for the job at the moment, but maybe someone
will chime in with another technique that they use
with success.

- Scott
dasdas

Post by dasdas »

Well, I was thinking of using a very thin, fine-toothed comb as a "spacer". But I'm guessing that this might just damage the blade.

I have enough electric gizmo's and gadgets, and I'd love to be able to stop using the electric trimmer. All of them on the market are total and utter crap anyway, I hate having to buy cheap crap that doesn't last.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Re: How to keep hair short, but not take it completely off

Post by Racso_MS »

dasdas wrote:I keep a bit of goatee-like stubble. Right now I'm using a crappy electric trimmer with a spacer on it to keep the hair a certain length (about 1/16" of an inch, maybe shorter).

Is there any way to do this with a safety razor?
WELCOME TO THE FORUM...

I think it best if you stick with an electric trimmer if you desire a specific length. I use the DE to obtain a smooth shave. Using a comb as a guard to keep a certain length stubble, as you said, would probably not only ruin the blade, but the comb as well.

Let us know how it works if you give it a try...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

dasdas wrote:Well, I was thinking of using a very thin, fine-toothed comb as a "spacer". But I'm guessing that this might just damage the blade.
You have a couple of options.

First, you could do it the old fashioned way... with a small pair of scissors. I used to sport a faint goatee and for a while, I used scissors to keep the hairs to a very short length. Naturally this takes a lot of time and effort(not to mention plenty of practice) to get right, but it does work.

You could continue to use commonly available electric clippers. They are cheap enough to use until they wear out and buying a new one is no big blow to the wallet. But like you said, they are marginal performers.

You could get a professional grade electric clipper. Expensive as hell, but there is a reason barbers have and use them.... they work good. Talk to a barber and explain what you need. They can probably recommend a make and model of clipper which suits you.
~Greg
jcally

Post by jcally »

For the electric clippers, I've found the Wahl Peanut to be excellent. I've used mine on my goatee for for 5 years, and haven't had a problem.
~Jared
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

I have several friends who maintain the "scruffy" look by keeping a very short beard, and they all swear by electric clippers as the best and easiest way of maintaining the look. I think the reason clippers are great is that it's fairly easy to maintain a uniform hair length. Attempting to do that with a razor blade may be very tough as it would depend on the angle with which you hold the razor, etc. Which isn't to say it can't be done. The Bump Fighter razor gives me a shave that leaves a bit of stubble as it doesn't shave down to the skin, but that's not what you're looking for I bet. I think clippers are the way to go. They're also safe to use against the grain; probably don't have to think twice about it.
Jake

Lovin' the Woolfat
Bond

Post by Bond »

are we talking designer stubble or a goatee, you can clippers similar to hair dresser use which have adjustable guards and they can be really cheap £10 in Argos
check out this blog designer stubble
-Dave-
Sfox7076
Keeper of the Coates

Post by Sfox7076 »

If you really want to go old school (and not look too even), you could buy the hand operated clippers of yesteryear. I have a pair I could part with. Though it looks more like a mid-evil torture device than a razor... Something like these http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Hand-held-H ... dZViewItem
"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, a great deal of it is absolutely fatal" - Oscar Wilde
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Sfox7076 wrote:If you really want to go old school (and not look too even), you could buy the hand operated clippers of yesteryear. I have a pair I could part with. Though it looks more like a mid-evil torture device than a razor... Something like these http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Hand-held-H ... dZViewItem
Those, or a device similar, was actually used to cut hair in WWII, Korea and Vietnam when electricity was a problem. I don't think I would use one.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

About 50 years ago when I was a kid I met an old farmer who had supplemented his income in the 1920s, 30s, 40s and 50s by cutting his neighbors hair with this hand powered tool. It was still in very good working order and he offered to demonstrate his skill on me and my older brother. We declined.

Squire
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I remember an item for sale in the '80s for those that wanted the "Don Johnson" look. It was called the Miami Device.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.