Is anybody happy?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
AFG

Post by AFG »

I think I'm getting there. I have rarely used another razor since buying a 38C and doubt I'll be buying any more razors. I did buy a Fatboy last week but it will not be my everyday razor. I think I will probably stick with Derby blades. I'm trying out some different creams so not sure what I will do there. I rotate between two brushes and will probably keep doing so as I like each of them about the same.
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

I'm happy with what I have but I will probably never be satisfied ........ if that makes any sense.
Regards,

jimmy
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I am in that mode of being happy by trying new stuff. All of this is a pleasant diversion and in the end, each day, I leave the house with a fine shave and I smell nice. That makes me happy.

In time I will probably settle down a bit and have my favorites and get rid of the stuff I don't really don't need or want. As Neil Peart wrote in the the song Prime Mover, "the point of journey is not to arrive. Anything can happen."
Dave LeBlanc

Of a thousand shavers, two do not shave so much alike as not to be distinguished.
Samuel Johnson: Boswell's Life, Sept. 19, 1777
oldfat1

Post by oldfat1 »

Right now I'm using a long black handle Superspeed (70's model), Burma Shave soap and brush. I've been using them for about a month and a half so at this point I'm happy if there is no blood loss in the morning :lol: .

Ken.
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I am happy.

I've been DE shaving for a couple years now. Before I joined SMF, I remember I read Shaveblog.com all the way through and I picked up several good bits of information, such as Taylors Avocado and Rose were excellent cremes, as was GFT Violet; that an Israeli Persona in a Merkur HD was an excellent combo; that Feathers and Swedes were awesome blades, but could take their toll on one's face after a while; and that GFT Skin food was all you needed.

Then I joined SMF, bought every creme Trumper's makes, plus several others from Taylors and T&H, Proraso, etc. I tried several blades, including Feathers for almost a year straight. I bought and used a 40s SS, a Fatboy, a Slantbar, and my HD and barberpole. Various aftershave balms and moisturizers were sampled.

As products began to run low, and I considered replacements, I realized that... Taylors Avocado and Rose are excellent cremes, as is GFT Violet; that an Israeli Persona in a Merkur HD is an excellent combo; that Feathers and Swedes are awesome blades, but they can take their toll on one's face after a while; and that GFT Skin food is all you need.

I could have saved a lot of money if I'd just listened to Corey to start off with, but it would not have been nearly as much fun...

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I'm pretty happy!

Long handled black Gillette adjustable
Astra Keramik blades
Vulfix brush (2245?)
Prorasso shave cream
Noxema for pre-shave

I just need to find the right AS/ASB

This site has been great---my razor and brush came from members here and I found the other products via this site.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Content. Went through a small bout of AD to figure it all out but finally settled on a couple of brushes and straight razors, with a soap cache that should last for a decade.

Dave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, What you're basically hitting on is my concept of 'fidelity'....which I've posted about at some length in the past. While it is almost certainly the norm with 'most' shavers, it is a very difficult concept for 'shavegeeks' ( which is to say, the majority of gents who hang out here ). To Buzz, it seemed to come naturally....but of course, he started right off at the top of the tree, which doesn't hurt ( chuckle ), but for most it is a struggle. After the initial phase of learning to use a traditional razor to some extent, and to make a useable lather, most newer members go berserk to a greater of lesser degree ( depending on their disposible income mainly ), buying scores of razors and products in a short period of time. Often a large hoard is accumulated, but then, at some point, comes a desire to trim it down, and the beginnings of a sense of what one likes better, and what works especially well. But very few ever arrive where Buzz or Clive are. I don't switch blades or razors much, and never A/S products, but I still have five brushes that I use regularly, and a bunch of English creams and hard soaps. My cologne stash has been trimmed quite considerably in the last few years, but I still wear different scents. But yeah, I'm quite pleased with the things I still use, having gotten rid of most of the items that were not amongst my favourites.
Regards,
Gordon
medic2chef

Post by medic2chef »

Were men, it's what we do. We may seem satisfied and happy with our set-up, then someone comes along and talks about a blade, brush, cream, soap,aftershave, skin food...........and the wheels start turning. Somebody has a better toy than I do. As we know from childhood on, this doesn't set well with anyone. It is a DNA malfunction we have. Don't question it!!!! It's just the way it works.

Good day 2 all
Brad

Bond: I tend to notice little things like that--whether a girl is a blonde or a brunette...
Tiffany: And which do you prefer?
Bond: Well, as long as the collars and cuffs match...(shrugs)
tacobus

Post by tacobus »

I bought my first razor -an HD not too long ago, I actually got it just this past Monday. Now, just this past Wednesday, I bought a Superspeed for "just in case".

At the time of the purchase for my second DE, I was thinking that I should have a back-up razor for "just in case" -not as if something will happen to my HD, however if something does happen to it, its not as if I can just go to the corner store and buy another DE razor. Now I'm starting to worry that my paranoia is really just the onset of RAD. :shock:

ps. I should add that I now own 4 different shaving soaps/creams, even though I have only owned a shaving brush since this past Monday. :shock: :shock:
J.R.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

J R

Nice to read that you're taking things slowly! HAHAHA Don't worry, you're in good company here at SMF :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Reverend Jim wrote:...I just need to find the right AS/ASB...
Jim, what have you already tried and what have you considered??

I see that you like Proraso, what about their Liquid Cream After Shave balm?? Personally, I really like it.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Cavman

Post by Cavman »

I am solid on my razor, 2 razors, chrome slant, gold slant. Solid on 2 brushes, 1 Delong pure badger mint handle, 1 spare. 2 blades, about 125 Feathers, about 300 IP's. Soaps mostly Williams, sometimes something new or special for a Friday or Saturday night. Not counting my old razor collection I no longer add to or shave with.
John

Just smile & wave boys, just smile & wave. (Madagascar)
adrox

Post by adrox »

I've found a combination that makes me happy:

Mach3
T&H Super Badger Brush
AOS Soap or T&H Cream (and Proraso on warm days)
Nivea Sensitive Balm

I'll use a HD 2-3x a week but otherwise a Mach3 works quicker and no matter how tired I am in the morning it gives me a smooth shave without any nicks.
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Tim,

I like the Prorasso pre/post as an aftershave balm but I haven't tried the stuff you mention. My favorite was the original Lagerfeld aftershave balm but it is no longer available. I just ordered some Pino Silvestre and some Tryphon Mentolo from Giovanni. Next order will include the Prorasso you suggested.

Thanks,

Rev. Jim
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Since this thread began I've added a little used razor and two soaps to the rotation.
Regards,
Squire
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

Trumper's Rose Soap arrived yesterday...I'm hopeless. :roll:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At least there is content in your hopelessness.
Regards,
Squire
Chifunda

Post by Chifunda »

Squire wrote:At least there is content in your hopelessness.
Yep, It's "A Fine Madness." :mrgreen:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I remember that one. Sue Ann Langdon in undress.
Regards,
Squire