I did it.....

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

I did it.....

Post by blackgrass »

Today I used a DE for the first time since college. Back then I had a adjustable Gillette DE, crappy brush and some drug store soap and I shaved in the shower. For the last few years I have been wet shaving in the shower with nothing more than a bar of soap and a Schick ST. My skin isn't all that sensitive but I do at times get red spots on my neck and little ingrown hairs. I had a friend give me a Mach 3 for X-mas and I really liked the razor but after looking at the price of cartridges I knew I had to find a better option. My grandfather was a barber and I have always been drawn to the classic barbershop and shaving techniques. I stumbled onto this site and a couple others and I have read most if not all the old post and have really learned a lot. I found a couple of Gillette DE adjustables over the weekend and cleaned them up and got a package of Schick blades. I don't currently own a brush but this morning I took my time and lathered up with some Niva shaving cream and proceeded to shave with the level setting on 2. I figured I would give myself a few days on this setting before moving up to a more aggressive setting. It is a pretty close shave but I can still feel a bit of stubble around my jaw line. But the good news is no cuts or bloody towels in the bathroom. I'm sure once I get some better creams and a shaving brush that my shave will get even better. Considering it is my first day shaving after better informing myself about the proper methods I'm pretty happy with the results. It ain't exactly rocket surgery!

I have placed an order with Charles at QED and we are waiting for the brushes to arrive from England. I'm really excited to get some good products. Charles has been awesome to deal with and very patient with all my questions! Thanks for the great site and post. Looking forward to chatting with you guys in the future.
Ben
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Congrats, Ben!

BTW, Nivea Sensititve is a very good "grocery store can" shaving cream.

--Mark
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

Just have to say I got my best shave yet this morning. I'm still using the Niva without a brush and using a DE razor.

I have also noticed something. I have been plagued with red bumps on my neck ever since I started shaving. I guess I had gotten so used to them and just figured that was just a part of the shaving experience. I have been using witch hazel each morning after shaving and before going to bed in the evenings. The last few days I have noticed fewer and fewer red bumps. I guess since I switched over to a DE that it could be either the razor or the witch hazel since I started using both at the same time. I'm hoping with some better creams and a brush that the red bumps will be a thing of the past. Already I can notice a change for the better.

It is sort of interesting that since starting to use a DE I have been paying particular attention to my face and skin condition. Is seems like wet shaving and skin care really go hand in hand with one another. Thanks again for all the help and the great forum!
Ben