Fun with bargain shopping

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Fun with bargain shopping

Post by TRBeck »

As soon as I began reading about wetshaving, I was intrigued by the prospect of saving money. Much like my beer-brewing hobby, of course, this hobby will wind up costing me financially far more long-term than it ever promised to save me. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy finding bargains.

I had read with some interest about some of the best-value shave creams out there, and had tried some, ranging from good deals (Proraso red) to screaming deals (Arko sensitive...not the best cream going, but pretty darn good). But yesterday, I set out on a little search. I snagged a great little $1 lather bowl at Big Lots but was disappointed in their disposable razor selection. Dollar General had absolutely nothing (and the two nearby Wal-Marts have discontinued DE blades as well as shaving soap: they still have brushes for some unfathomable reason). I grabbed some more Bic metals on the cheap at a Latin market. And then I hit an Indian grocer.

Palmolive $2.99 - the cheapest I've seen it online is ~$10. The same holds true for Palmolive Lemon and Dettol. I went home and tried them all out (lathering, not shaving). I was impressed with the scent of all three, though the Dettol is, as I had read, on the edge of medicinal. All in all, though, a nice, fresh, spring and summer scent. They all lathered easily and the slickness of the Dettol was impressive. The cushion during an actual shave has yet to be tested. Still, I can't complain. Same price as Arko but without having to mail order.

Also, I grabbed some Wilkinson swords. These are the India Wilkinsons made by Gillette, as discussed in this thread: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24892

5 pack was $0.99. Hard to argue with that.

It's good to know that if, heaven forbid, my online resources dried up (or $$ got tight), I could shave with products purchased less than a mile from my house with very little cash expenditure.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
train36

Post by train36 »

I love the Dollar General Disposable razors, the original and sensitive. The original are my favorite but the sensitive are right up there also. Both are better than any BIC razor I have used, and I have tried them all.
Dan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Surprising what a little footwork will turn up.
Regards,
Squire
Rlayten

Post by Rlayten »

speaking as someone who has a small budget for shaving, this hobby has not only saved me money ($20 for a years supply of blades thanks to Ted Pella), and some of the less expensive creams and soaps (proraso,VDH,williams, and my most expensive cream which is the sweet almond from C&E) I have a wonderful selection and really enjoy my shave. I have some facial moisturizer from clinique that my wife didn't like that I am using up, and that with my alum bar, its a wonderful experience.

Whenever I get frazzled, the firt thing my wife does is ask if I have shaved, if not, she points to the bathroom. Its a great way to just relax and spoil myself. Someday I plan on trying some Col. Conk, and some of the premium english creams/soaps, but right now until my wife gets out of grad school I'm content with what I have.
Love the injector. Love the shaves.
--
Robert
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

This post made me chuckle and think about a recent conversation with my wife. I had made the point to her that going to DE shaving was going to save money for the blades compared to the M3's I was using. Well, I got the Weishi, had that less than a week, and then found a gillette for another $25. So I wasnt two weeks into it and was already out $50. I didnt have the heart to tell her I had just sent off for a blade sampler pack and a tub of cream! So far, she is still waiting to see those savings...
Tom :lol:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Do a spread sheet Tom, amortize it, I'm sure you can come up with some convincing numbers.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Robert I've sent you a pm.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Yes, footwork and Google maps have helped me make short work of shopping for discontinued whiskey, odd ingredients for beer brewing, and now grooming supplies. Yesterday I picked up some Grey Flannel for $9.99 at a Marshall's. Not my favorite scent, but one I do enjoy on occasion.

A follow-up on the Dettol. Obviously, as a newb, I get better technique-wise with every shave. Still, the shave I got with my Dettol today was ridiculously good. The lather I whipped up was the best I've had (though I may have inadvertently used a bit more cream than usual). Easily enough for 4 or more passes. I did two passes plus some T&C on the neck. The Dettol provided outstanding cushion and was nice and slick. When I went in for the T&C/Water pass, there was ample cushion from the remnants of the last lather to make for a very comfortable cleanup. I then lathered up my face once more, just because the lather was there, and still rinsed at least a pass worth out of the brush. I do believe the scent might get to me with daily use, very soapy/medicinal. But at $3, you can't go far wrong. And I'd pay more by a good bit for this kind of cushion and lather.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The Arko shave stick is another bargain: $1.50. It's carried in some stores, and Razor and Brush has it as well.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tim there are some very good low cost products out there, I used Arko soap this morning, and some of them give surprisingly good results. As a plus when we find a good one we can use it lavishly without any concern about how much we are using.
Regards,
Squire
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

edison, new jersey is 8 miles from me, and has a very high indian population.

i will have to give this a look see someday soon. you have inspired me.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Dave while you're there see if they have the Old Spice lime shaving cream.
Regards,
Squire
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Squire, I just saw that product somewhere, where did I see it hmm.

Dave, I work in Linden and have scoured pretty much every place I can think of in that area. You may have better luck though, the best find so far for me was an old old pharmacy in south amboy who had some English Leather shave soap in stock, other than that it's pretty much slim pickins in our area. There is a place in Barnaget which carries the entire Caswell Massey line, along with some brush's, that is off the LBI exit, if you are interested next time I am there I'll get the address for you. Also the pier behing Ceasers Palace in AC has an AOS store, Loctaine store and one other that slips me atm.

Cheers,
Marty
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

Squire wrote:Dave while you're there see if they have the Old Spice lime shaving cream.

old spice lime shaving cream...Image

old spice lime cologne would be an added bonus.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Marty I just got a tube of Old Spice Lime from Tryphon along with some other stuff. Was wondering if it was widely available.
Regards,
Squire
Rlayten

Post by Rlayten »

Hey squire, which Robert did you send that PM to?

Maybe I should come up with some kind of nickname....
Love the injector. Love the shaves.
--
Robert
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

marty, where in linden do you work?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I swept through most of the big Indian-Pakistani markets nearby today and came away without buying much.

I picked up some Menthol Cool Palmolive just to try it, though I'm not a huge menthol fan. Otherwise, I mostly saw more of the same (or less of the same: only a couple of markets stocked any shave products at all, and none had blades). There's a lot of Dettol and not a little Palmolive out there. I did run across some cheap alum blocks. I also saw but did not buy Honda shave brushes (boar, i presume) and some Yardley sandalwood talc (tempting, and may buy it at some point: $10)

In addition to my Palmolive, I snagged a bar of sandalwood bath soap with some real depth to its scent.

On a non-shaving related note, I nearly bought - purely as a novelty - a tube of the "intense" snuff tobacco paste I saw sitting on the shelf between tubes of shave cream and tubes of toothpaste.

Squire, sorry, no Old Spice of any kind, let alone lime. There are other, more out-of-the-way markets to check, so I'll keep an eye out.
Regards,
Tim

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks anyway Tim.
Regards,
Squire
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

snuff you say? its been a long time.