Took the plunge

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tone, not everyone uses that acronym.
Regards,
Squire
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Squire wrote:Tone, not everyone uses that acronym.
You mean NEUTA, surely Squire.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Well, color me surprised! My shave this morning with the Black Beauty (the second shave with that blade) was much better than the first. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen!

I shaved this morning after showering, which I usually don't do. Perhaps that is the reason for the quality shave today.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

GA, why don't you repeat the experiment and let us know how it turns out.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Will do, Squire!
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Squire, if by repeating the experiment you meant shaving in the evening and then 36 hours later shaving after a shower in the morning, I plan to do that sometime.

But if you meant shaving again in the morning after a shower, I did that today. Another excellent shave from the Black Beauty!

I'll try a fourth shave tomorrow morning.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Well believe it or not, I got six shaves out of the Treet Black Beauty. That's two cents a shave!

None of them was bad, but the first and last were worse than the middle four. After each shave I dipped the blade and razor in rubbing alcohol.

I'll decide tomorrow which blade I'll use next.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I decided to try my first Trig blade today. You may recall that Leisureguy says that Trig is one of his "best blades", but Squire didn't have much enthusiasm for it in his review. So I was curious about it.

Today's shave was my best in nearly two months of DE shaving. I didn't feel the blade for the first pass WTG.

However, when it was over I felt the need to use some aftershave. I sometimes use aftershave for the scent, but I rarely feel the physical need for it. So maybe that tells me that I scraped off more skin than usual.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I have been using my new Omega Syntex brush every day since I got it, using Bigelow/Proraso green cream each time.

I have not yet figured out how much water in the Syntex is the proper amount to lather in the cereal bowl I use. Every day I get a different result. Sometimes the lathering is easy and takes a minute. Sometimes it's difficult and takes over two minutes.

This morning's lathering was the worst yet. After a few seconds I was seeing no results at all from the swirling. So on an impulse I decided to try face lathering.

For many years I used a small badger brush with puck soap and face lathered. I didn't know what I was doing, and used too much water. Since starting this DE shaving two months ago, I have not face lathered until today.

The result was immediate and very satisfactory. The lather appeared on my face instantly as if by magic. I had another great shave using the Trig for the third time.

Now that I have done it once, I am going to try face lathering with the Syntex again soon. It was very comfortable, and worked great.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I've been face-lathering every day since my last post, and am very satisfied with the results. Each day I have used Bigelow/Proraso green with my Omega Syntex brush.

I got six great shaves out of the Trig. I think I could go for a seventh, but what the heck? I rate the Trig as my best blade thus far.

Tomorrow I'll try the Astra Keramik. Since these are being discontinued, I figure I ought to try it to see if I should order any more before they are all gone.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I'm ambivalent about the Astra Keramik. I had read some very good things about it on the net. Our own Reverend Jim said that it is his favorite blade.

But I never felt that excited about it. The shaves were satisfactory, not uncomfortable, but never refreshing.

On the other hand, today's was my seventh with the blade, the best of any blade of mine so far. I think that I could get an eighth shave out of it if I had to, but since I don't have to I won't.

Next up I'll try Squire's second favorite, the Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow.
Fitness
Lijun badger
bbsupersport

Post by bbsupersport »

Hi GA,

I just read your whole thread today and found it very interesting, as I am about to give this whole DE shaving a try. Excuse my use of terminology, this is all new to me. I must admit, after reading your trials, I wondered if this is for me. However, I am intrigued by it and am in search of the best shave. I have never used an electric shaver, but have never been able to tolerate those single blade disposable Bic shavers (only if nothing else was available). I always thought it must be a cheap blade, but maybe it was technique having always used multi-blade shavers.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to document your experiences, it has been a valuable tool in my quest for the perfect shave.

Cheers,
BB
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

BB, I'm delighted that someone is taking an interest! Actually, the number of views has indicated that people are curious, so I have kept it up.

Brampton, eh? I take it you are an Argos fan?
Fitness
Lijun badger
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

For almost all of the blades that I have tried, the first shave has been the most uncomfortable.

However, I must say that today's shave with a new 7 O'Clock yellow was very comfortable. And it easily took care of my two problem areas, my chin and my upper lip.
Fitness
Lijun badger
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Odd isnt it GA that the first shave isnt always the best, I also experience this with blades, one would think the first would be the best since the blade is at it's sharpest. Some blades only the first pull is a bit rough then they smooth out and some just never smooth out.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I suspect that for some blades the coating covers the cutting edge and the first shave(s) wear off that part of the coating, thus exposing the sharp edge. This is just a guess, however.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Any blade, no matter how sharp, has serrated edges. They don't so much cut our whiskers as saw them off. The coating on the high end blades fills in the microscopic gaps in the saw teeth which is why the blades cut smoother.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

You'll be amazed to learn that I have been using the same Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow all this time. Today was the last day. I got 16 shaves out of it!

No doubt about it, I have a new "best blade".

Tomorrow I am going to try the Super Iridium.
Fitness
Lijun badger
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Remarkable
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I'm still using the Iridium. Good shaves so far.

I note that the blade says "Super Iridium Extra", but the box says "Iridium-Super". Funny that they aren't consistent about the name of their product.

RetroGrouch sent me my prize for his British Columbia Day contest. The blades arrived today.

Mike sent me packs of:

Feather
Polsilver
Merkur Super Platinum
Derby Extra
Thin Gillette
Gillette - no model name on the white plastic box or the blade

I'm looking forward to trying for the first time the Feather and the Merkur, considering that they both are the subject of much commentary here.

And considering that the Polsilver has apparently been discontinued, that too is of great value!

Thanks again Mike!
Fitness
Lijun badger