Took the plunge

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
GA Russell

Re: Took the plunge

Post by GA Russell »

I have a confession to make. I have developed severe tremors in both of my hands, and I have been unable to shave since Lincoln's Birthday. I also can't type (which is a curse for an aspiring author!), and every internet post I make is riddled with errors that need to be corrected before submitted. My doctor and nurse practitioner have not decided whether my problem is a side effect of other medicine I am taking, and they are still experimenting.

I have been planning to inform you of this for a while, and today seems like a good day because I have stumbled across an article which discusses the benefits of growing a beard!

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/2 ... p=features
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I'm sorry to hear about the problems- I hope your doctor can sort it all out. In the meantime there are beard growing contests. :D
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sorry to hear that Russ, hope the condition rights itself soon.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I, too, am sorry to learn of your situation, Russ. I hope a good solution is found soon.

- Murray
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Wishing you all the best in recovering.
Good shaving,

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Russ -- hope you find a solution soon -- this is not a fun condition.

My father had what they termed as a genetic tremor (whatever that means) from around the age of 75 until he passed away 5 years later. Both my older and younger brother suffer from similar conditions. Dad had to switch to electric in order to keep his trademark clean shaven look. I can't remember ever seeing him with excessive growth other than on Saturdays when he worked around the yard. Even when we camped when I was young, he always set up a shaving area with mirror, etc. He said just because you are away from your usual environment doesn't mean you have to reduce your look to one of sloppiness. It may not be ideal, but it is an option -- there I said it on SMF --- an electric shaver is a totally acceptable option for some.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It had to be said Wendell.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Russ, hope you get the problem sorted out and keep us posted.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks very much guys! There have been many days when I needed to hold a cup of McDonald's coffee with two hands so as not to spill it!

I have found a computer keyboard which was designed for people with cerebral palsy, but for some reason it has only one shift key. That won't do.

Anyway, when the doctor has this figured out, you'll be the first to know, after I shave of course!
Fitness
Lijun badger
brothers

Re:

Post by brothers »

GA Russell wrote:You probably saw Natural Science's introduction, and if you didn't you can see it here.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50010

I find the concept of having a soap specifically formulated to my tastes to be exciting! So I responded, with the proviso that we have hard water here in Raleigh, and there wouldn't be much point in the exercise if their products are not better than anybody else's in hard water.

Rob at Natural Science responded positively, and asked me a few questions:

1) - What type of skin do I have?
2) - Tallow or Non-Tallow?
3) - Any allergies to almonds?

I received my package today. It includes small hard soaps of various scents - mint, citrus and sandalwood. Three non-tallow and two tallow samples. A small vial of pre-shave oil, and a small vial of what I am guessing is a water softening compound.

This is going to take me quite a number of shaves to compare all five samples. I want to give them all a fair test, so I won't change any variables except the soaps. I will use my favorite blade, the Gillette 7 O'Clock black; my favorite brush, the Koh-I-Noor SC68 boar; and my favorite razor, the Gillette 1948-50 Super Speed.

Everything came with a page of instructions. Taking notes is important, so I expect to revisit here every couple of days to let you know.

I'll start with my next shave.
Russ, this thread went like gangbusters for a long time, then something came up and we all stopped posting there. I have been meaning to ask you how the subject of this particular post ever turned out. Did this vendor just collapse and disappear, what are your thoughts on the experiment, looking back? It seems you were pretty excited about it at the time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Gary, Rob just stopped communicating. I was looking forward to the final batch because I was so happy with so many of the samples of the second batch. After he didn't respond to my emails to his website and here, I figured they went out of business, but I can't say for sure.
Fitness
Lijun badger
brothers

Post by brothers »

HI Russ. I read your original post about the possibility of going over to an electric razor due to necessity. Now that some time has lapsed, have you made the change?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks for your interest, Gary! My hands have gotten progressively worse.

So I have adopted the Ben Bernanke look. I use a Wahl barber's electric clipper with a "1" setting.
Fitness
Lijun badger
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very distinguished, I'm sure. 8)
Gary