Dickinson’s Witch hazel formula

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
YS

Dickinson’s Witch hazel formula

Post by YS »

Hi Guys,

I have purchased Dickinson’s Witch hazel formula “the original” in order to replace my Thayer’s original witch hazel; I use it as a toner after my shave. It was $5.59 for 473 ml instead of the Thayers $9.99 for 355ml, I was thinking I was getting a good deal for the same kind of product, wrong! The Dickinson’s Witch hazel formula has a distinct “sour” smell to it somewhat reminds me of bad breath after a night of heavy of drinking. Bottom line I do not like it, can anyone tell me if I can change the smell of this product and still use it as aftershave toner, by adding anything to it (EO, fresh herbs, single barrel - single malt scotch – anything that will help) or should I just pour it down the drain and count my losses.

Thank you,

YS
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

YS,
If my memory serves me right, and I could be wrong due to the excessive headaches the Dickinson's gave me, you most likely will not be able to "kill" that bad breath stench.
I could be wrong and you might be able to add something, but that stuff was pretty strong on the nose.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

YS,

I tried adding peppermint essential oil to two different bottles of Dickinson's, both the yellow label and the blue label. It helped, but did not solve the problem.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

I had the same problem. I gave a bottle of the stuff away to a friend who was into natural stuff, because I just couldn't stand the stench of the stuff on my face. He was going to put it on scraps on his arms & legs, etc so it wasn't a problem for him.

I picked up some generic witch hazel from a drug store for about $2. It smelled bad, but much much better then the dickonsons, and I was able to cover up the pungency with a few drops of Lavender EO.

I like Thyers the best. I plan to buy more when my supply runs out. It lasts me long enough that I don't find it a waste of money.

--Vincent
YS

Post by YS »

Down the drain the Dickinson’s Witch hazel formula went. I don’t see a real solution to the smell problem, I can't stand throwing away products, but this stinky liquid had to go down the drain.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Yeah, that Dickinson's stuff smells like ass... nothing refreshing or soothing about it. I was wondering if I had just got a bad bottle, after hearing all the good things about witch hazel. In retrospect, I guess people were talking about the various Thayer's offerings. Well, now I've turned to the dark side, and use alcohol based aftershaves, followed up by Nivea sensitive balm. However, one of my aftershaves, which has virtually no alcohol, is a witch hazel base... very pleasant smelling, though it doesn't last long ("country gent" found at heavenlyharvest.com). That would be a nice inbetweener for those who don't like the full on alcohol based aftershave, but like a cooling and refreshing splash.

Drew
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, thayers is a bargain compared to what some toners are fetching. i dont mind the sting of an alcohol based product, but i had used ems place aftershave splash and it was witch hazel and some other great natural ingredients so i just went to the wild oats store. so thayers with rose seemed great. id use lavendar also, but mostly the witch hazel and rose water help clean and sanitize any cuts i might have inflicted and help soothe and lend some moisturing effect. then when i hit the natureade 80 aloe gel afterwards, i am kinda coating the face with great natural products and getting my skin soothed

sam
Classyjack

Post by Classyjack »

I, for apparently only one, have never minded/noticed the smell of Dickinson's and use it frequently as a spritz after shaving. Oh well. Best, John.
PonyPlayer

Post by PonyPlayer »

I originally purchased the Dickinson's witch hazel and used it a few times but I too couldn't take the smell. I hate throwing things away but I couldn't see myself using this stuff.

I found some Thayer's Rose Petal witch hazel at my local Whole Foods store and love using this stuff. I tend to use it in the am and pm after washing my face. I love the smell of the Thayer's and will be on the lookout for the lavender scent but wouldn't be unhappy if I had to only use the rose.

Patrick