So here I am.... minding my own business, poking around the

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
kaptain_zero

So here I am.... minding my own business, poking around the

Post by kaptain_zero »

net. and I trip across one of the fine merchants of wet shaving supplies. They of course had to have an extensive FAQ not to mention quite a few usefull articles about wetshaving and safety razors and straight razors. Oooh... neat, love to read about that "old" stuff.

So here I sit at the keyboard, about a week later... at 1am in the morning, contemplating the last weeks worth of events...... I've just PM'ed someone about a Gillette razor... sheesh, only a week ago I was happily hopping in the shower, grabbing a bar of soap and quickly lathering both hands, slapping them on my face and then without a second thought scraped my face with a tripledged throwaway and carried on with my life.....

Lets go back to that fatefull day.... I was researching sharpening... I am a hobby woodworker after all.... what's this? A site about classic shaving!?!?! Oooh... sounds kinda neat... after all, my long since departed dad was a barber by trade. As I sat there reading, the memories flood through my mind, back in "the shop" with the sounds of shears snipping away and Dad stropping his straight razor getting ready for a customers shave. Ah yes... I was told the stuff that came out of that chrome gizmo was hot ice cream! :-)

Later, it would be my turn for a hair cut, dad would always ask me what I wanted.... for me it was in the later years an "Elvis" haircut... and could he do it with the razor.... I always did enjoy the feel of a straight razor haircut!

Sorry.... I drifted off a bit there..... so, back to my story.... Well, I read this article about getting a decent lather for a shave so golly dog gone it, I went an rummaged through the storage closet downstairs and found my old bristle brush I gave up using some near 20 years ago.... Looking at it, I decided to ask SHWMBO if she needed something from the store..... I got that kind of weird look as in "What am I up to now?" but she said no... we have all we need. Ok... well, I gotta fill the car up with gas anyway so I might as well do it now.... right?

5 minutes later I'm at the local grocery store, at the shaving display... hmmmmm.... ok, here's a tube of Florena shave cream... it'll have to do. Next, get gas and then get back hom. Time for a shower/shave. Well, it was the closest shave I've had in years... triple edge polymer handle and all! Ok, now back to the storage closet.... where the *@!(#*&Y is that double edge Gillette razor I used to have? Nope, it's nowhere to be found.

The next few days are spent trudging through every antique shop I can find... Finally there it is..... in a display case.... a dirty grundgy old Gillette open comb DE razor with a cracked aluminum handle..... I ask how much, the price was $2.00. I toss the money on the counter and take off with my new find. Next... where to find blades... hmmm, they should have them just about everywhere, right? Nope.... store after store turns up sweet nada. Then... while checking out the local Zellers I see them like a beacon in the nite.... SUPER-MAX DE blades...... a 10 pack for $1.98! Hey, it says they're made in the USA, how bad can they be?!?!

Ok, I'll try to keep this short..... at least I managed to show a textbook case of razor burn the next day........<sigh>.

Still.... I kept at it..... for the next few days I tried to get a decent shave and it did get better.... mind you, the wifes hand lotion started to vanish much to her surprise....

So, here I sit.... looking at what I've just done... thanks to some fine Gentleman on a site called "Shavemyface" I have just ordered about one each of everything Proraso makes, a new Merkur Progress adjustable razor, a couple packs of Merkur blades, some pre-shave oil, a bar of Williams Mug soap (just for the scent) and I'm still drooling over some pics of a brush made from a dead animal, not to mention sitting here wondering if I really like the smell of Sandlewood...... Am I going mad? Is there hope for me at all?!?! Can there be life after electric shaving?!?!

Guys, it's been a real pleasure reading your posts on this forum, I've re-discovered one of lifes true joys.... those moments alone in the morning, getting ready to face another day at work.... Somehow, life just seems a little better now.

Regards

Christian J Setla

PS: My credit card disagrees with that last statement about life being better.... Mastercard on the other hand seems to be quite happy......<groan>
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Well Christian, yes, like Alice in the book you have just stepped through the 'Looking Glass'..... LOL :roll:

Welcome to the group.

It is 'more' tha shaving they say... an addiction... an obsession.... a hobby? LOL we are all mad you know! We even have a resident Psychologist and a few doctors here to keep us as close to normal as possible ( but DO NOT listen to them.... they are sicker than we are :wink:

Enjoy!

- Gramps (God I am glad I am sane....... well... sort of....)
~~ Larry ~~
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Christian,

What a journey. Very nice. You drudged up old memories for me about the "barber" shop. The last time I was in a real barber shop was in 1971. I still remember the aroma of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and shaving supplies. Comic books (I was 10), coffee and Double Bubble Bubble gum. There was a shoe shine stand that was usually unoccupied as my dad always took me in the early evening. And men talked about current events, sports, FOOTBALL (I'm from East Texas, and if you want to know how important high school football is in Texas, watch "Friday Night Lights".) On one night, destined to be the end of my "barbershop" visits, the barber gave me a cut that my mom totally disdained. From there it was to the "beauty" shop. Of course, it was a time of longer hair (the 70's) when going to a stylist was the thing to do. But I was always ashamed that I went to a beauty shop. Many of the "aromas" were the same, but really, nothing was the same. I still go to a "stylist", but I do miss the barbershop.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Re: So here I am.... minding my own business, poking around

Post by AACJ »

kaptain_zero wrote: sheesh, only a week ago I was happily hopping in the shower, grabbing a bar of soap and quickly lathering both hands, slapping them on my face and then without a second thought scraped my face with a tripledged throwaway and carried on with my life.....
So I take it you shave in the shower too? There aren't too many of us my friend!!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

Christian:
Welcome to the obsession of wetshaving!! I'm into my second month now and one of my most mundane tasks as how become something I look forward to. Multiple double edge razors, soaps, creams, after-shaves, and now colognes, the list never ends however. You'll have to try some of the Taylors and Trumpers English creams as well as the Proraso. They provide a different feel and lather in my opinion. You'll love the Progress! I just got mine last week and have used it four or five times now. The shaves just keep getting better and better.

Jerry
Last edited by DoubleE on Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

AACJ wrote:
kaptain_zero wrote: sheesh, only a week ago I was happily hopping in the shower, grabbing a bar of soap and quickly lathering both hands, slapping them on my face and then without a second thought scraped my face with a tripledged throwaway and carried on with my life.....
So I take it you shave in the shower too? There aren't too many of us my friend!!
I started shaving in the shower in school with no mirror, just by touch. I now have a mirror in the shower as a result of a bad bleeding incident early in my DE career. I wouldnt know how to shave any other way.

Christian, welcome. You'll enjoy the Progress and Proraso a lot. Thats a desert island combination in my opinion.

Graham
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

slaneyg wrote:
AACJ wrote:
I started shaving in the shower in school with no mirror, just by touch. I now have a mirror in the shower as a result of a bad bleeding incident early in my DE career. I wouldnt know how to shave any other way.

Christian, welcome. You'll enjoy the Progress and Proraso a lot. Thats a desert island combination in my opinion.

Graham
Graham,

Good job buddy!!

Have you ever shaved in front of the sink? What kind of experience was it if so? Mine was terrible, much like what a lot of people here describe as their everyday shave.... I get no irritation, maybe a nick or two, which I believe I would have gotten anyway, but the shower clots the cut right up.

Keep up the good work!!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

AACJ wrote: Graham,

Good job buddy!!

Have you ever shaved in front of the sink? What kind of experience was it if so? Mine was terrible, much like what a lot of people here describe as their everyday shave.... I get no irritation, maybe a nick or two, which I believe I would have gotten anyway, but the shower clots the cut right up.

Keep up the good work!!
Art, even when i travel for business i shave in the shower. I have a cheap small suction travel mirror that goes with me. For me, shaving in front of the sink is just a mess with irritation. I obtain nowhere near the shave as i do in the shower.

I think its the steamy nature of the shower, imparting lots of water onto the skin, plus i use lots more water in developing lather since i dont care what sort of mess i make lathering. I don't worry about lather dribbling down the side of the wooden soap bowls, for example. Once I get to shaving, I use the PC water cutoff valve.

I have one of those in-line gasfired waterheaters in a box downstairs. i have to install it before winter. Then watch out! perpetual hot water.

Before i found shavemyface, I used a tiny CM brush, no mirror, almond cream from Harrods or Trumpers and whatever gillette convinced me was best. I did just fine. Now, my shaves are much much closer because my razor is different and technique better, my creams and soaps are varied and i have much better brushes, but no one can convince me to get out of the shower to shave! :lol:

Art, Viva La Shower Shave!

Graham
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm surprised you don't have a pile of old razors and other accoutrements from your father!
growler

Post by growler »

You've convinced me to have my next shave using hot ice cream!
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

slaneyg wrote:
AACJ wrote: Graham,

Good job buddy!!

Keep up the good work!!
Art, even when i travel for business i shave in the shower. I have a cheap small suction travel mirror that goes with me. For me, shaving in front of the sink is just a mess with irritation. I obtain nowhere near the shave as i do in the shower.

I think its the steamy nature of the shower, imparting lots of water onto the skin, plus i use lots more water in developing lather since i dont care what sort of mess i make lathering. I don't worry about lather dribbling down the side of the wooden soap bowls, for example. Once I get to shaving, I use the PC water cutoff valve.

I have one of those in-line gasfired waterheaters in a box downstairs. i have to install it before winter. Then watch out! perpetual hot water.

Before i found shavemyface, I used a tiny CM brush, no mirror, almond cream from Harrods or Trumpers and whatever gillette convinced me was best. I did just fine. Now, my shaves are much much closer because my razor is different and technique better, my creams and soaps are varied and i have much better brushes, but no one can convince me to get out of the shower to shave! :lol:

Art, Viva La Shower Shave!

Graham
I think I'm about to cry!!! :cry: :wink:
Art

AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

growler wrote:You've convinced me to have my next shave using hot ice cream!
What?! =; [-X :bull

Be nice now!!! :twisted:
Art

kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Thanks to all of you for the kind words and welcomes.

Like some others here I almost always "do it" in the shower..... :twisted: However seeing that my stash of Proraso showed up at the door today I decided to take another stab at the sink.... well, that pretty much sums it up.... iff'n me beard don't steam and soak in the shower for at least 10 minutes I will pay the price in blood. Mind you, that green tube stuff sure masks the sting of the nicks while doing oneself in. Still....... it was a very "refreshing" experience. I don't think I've ever had something that cooling on my skin except for a Manitoba winter day.

I used the Pre/post for the first time as well... I liked it alot but I still found myself feeling the stings of my self inflicted injuries... So far the best aftershave extinguisher for me is good old Cetaphil lotion. It does not have much of a smell if any, it absorbs quickly and best of all, no stinging or burning seconds after it goes on. It's about the only stuff I can use on windburned skin in the winter... I'm a letter carrier so things get a bit chilly during work in January.... about -35 to -40ish with a large emphasis on the "ish".

Anyway, I shall go back to lurking in the shadows, trying to gleen bits of wisdom from topics discussed by the fine gents on this forum.

Regards

Christian
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

kaptain_zero wrote:

Anyway, I shall go back to lurking in the shadows, trying to gleen bits of wisdom from topics discussed by the fine gents on this forum.
Don't go back into the shadows....you are now a part of the group and your input is wanted. If you have questions, ask them.

The only dumb question is the one you wanted to but never asked.
Art

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I enjoy shaving in the shower when I don't have all the "equipment" of real shaving to arrange. A Mach 3 and whatever soap is on hand shaves me just fine in the shower, actually. But when I start with the brush and the mug and the cream and the DE and the pre/post and the...
Well, you get the picture. Shaving in the shower is not so easy anymore, for me.
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

notthesharpest wrote:I enjoy shaving in the shower when I don't have all the "equipment" of real shaving to arrange. A Mach 3 and whatever soap is on hand shaves me just fine in the shower, actually. But when I start with the brush and the mug and the cream and the DE and the pre/post and the...
Well, you get the picture. Shaving in the shower is not so easy anymore, for me.
I do a comparison of the inconvenience of getting all my shave stuff together and hauling it to the shower (then cleaning it up afterwards) vs. the irritation on my neck and the irritation always loses. But I have a large shower with shelves in it and a fogless mirror so that makes it easy for me.

I have a big enough mug to put everything in it, and I just tote it out and dry everything off. It pays off big for me, give it a try again........
Art

slaneyg

Post by slaneyg »

AACJ wrote:
I do a comparison of the inconvenience of getting all my shave stuff together and hauling it to the shower (then cleaning it up afterwards) vs. the irritation on my neck and the irritation always loses. But I have a large shower with shelves in it and a fogless mirror so that makes it easy for me.

I have a big enough mug to put everything in it, and I just tote it out and dry everything off. It pays off big for me, give it a try again........
I leave all my stuff except the razors in the shower. That includes the reportedly tender smf brush and wood bowls full of soap. If it cant stay in the shower and get a few sprinkles of water on it, i dont want it.

Art, all this shower talk makes me think that a shower shaving video is in order :shock:.... by someone better looking than me.

Graham
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Ah. I just need to get a bigger shower. 8)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes....mad.....all of us quite mad, really........welcome....... Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Welcome Christian - nice to see a fellow Winnipegger here - I suspect we'll be giving those fine southern gents from Texas a run for their money now! :wink:

Sounds like you're off to a great start - and sorry about your wallet....but it's too late now - resign yourself.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.