Newbie here

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
javyn

Newbie here

Post by javyn »

Hey all, just wanted to say hi. I've been skulking around this forum for a few days and decided to register and try to participate a little bit. A little about me, I'm 27 and just made my first order from QED (Proraso green tube and some Musgo Real). I also have a set coming in from ebay with a badger brush & stand, fancy mach 3 handle, and bowl.

I'm excited to try this out, especially to see if I can get a closer shave on my neck and along my jawline without the horrible razorburn I get going against the grain (which is the only way I can get it close as of now).

Charles from QED recommended that I try a floral cream because winter is about to start and the florals have a warming effect. Being that I'm in Texas though, I'm really looking foward to the cold air hitting my face after a eucalyptus Proraso shave. The only thing I enjoy about shaving now is when I can find menthol Barbasol aerosol (which isn't often anymore).

Anyway, any tips on getting a close shave along the neck area and jawline would be very appreciated. I don't use (or plan on using) any pre-shave oils or anything at this time. I also use a Mach 3 machete, waiting a little bit until I see how the brush works with some good cream before I decide on buying a fancy D/E razor.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Welcome to another Texan! Although I no longer live in Texas, I will ALWAYS be a Texan! Where in Texas are you?

Looks like you are off to a great start! You'll find that Charles is a man of integrity, and that he has your best interests at heart. The Proraso is great stuff, and you will enjoy the brisk feeling that it provides.

When you get ready to buy the razor, I would suggest the Merkur HD Classic. It's not adjustable, but it has some heft to it, and will provide an excellent shave. Once you have your technique down, you may want to look at an adjustable.

Others will chime in with their opinions. Ask questions as they come up, as you already know, there are a lot of helpful folks here.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Welcome aboard javyn.
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Randy suggesting the Merkur HD. For me this is the perfect razor.
javyn

Post by javyn »

Thanks Randy and Hugo! I live in Southeast Houston. I was actually looking at the Merkur HD earlier. I don't want to spend too much at once on this all though heheh. I think a 60 dollar brush and stand kit, and those two creams are a halfway decent start. Maybe the Merkur for Christmas :)
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Hugo wrote:Welcome aboard javyn.
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Randy suggesting the Merkur HD. For me this is the perfect razor.
Agreed. I regulary rotate through my Progress, Vision, Gillette etc., etc. , but coming to the HD is like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. It never dissappoints me.

And welcome!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

Welcome javyn!
javyn wrote: I don't want to spend too much at once on this all though heheh. I think a 60 dollar brush and stand kit, and those two creams are a halfway decent start. Maybe the Merkur for Christmas :)
I told myself something similar when I took the plunge some three weeks ago. The day I got my stuff, however, I placed another order. And it's been downhill from there... :wink:
javyn

Post by javyn »

Hah, that's good to know Mr. Keynes. I'm sure I'll be the same. I am a bit obsessive about things so I'll be wanting more and more. Still I am going to at least TRY to discipline myself for a while and hold off on more purchases. I assume from your avatar and name, you have an interest in Macroeconomics? I just graduated with my econ degree in May. (I got a BS in BS I like to tell people.) I do prefer F.A. Hayek myself, but have to give credit where credit is due; Keynes was a genius.

Oh, have a quick question...what is the difference between "open combed" and not on these double edges? And do they have this Merkur HD with a gold accent? :)
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

I've never seen the Merkur HD in gold. Regarding open comb, I'll let the veterans reply, as I haven't quite figured it out myself--all I know is that open comb is always associated with the word "aggressive," which makes it quite uninteresting to me...
javyn wrote:I assume from your avatar and name, you have an interest in Macroeconomics?
Oh no, my real name is Maynard and I just happen to look a lot like Keynes... :wink: all right, all right, I confess--being Keynes is just a fantasy. I'm an economist. I hope that doesn't get me kicked off the forum! And congrats on your Econ degree. It'll serve you well.

JMK
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

A gold version of the HD is available from Em' Place ->http://tinyurl.com/d6968 or Charles may be able to snag you one as well.

I don't have any direct experience with an open comb razor but it is supposed to be more aggressive for tougher beards.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Maynard & javyn, coincidentally my bachelors is also in economics. Welcome to the brotherhood.
DoubleE

Post by DoubleE »

javyn wrote:Still I am going to at least TRY to discipline myself for a while and hold off on more purchases.
Good luck with that javyn, let us know how that works for you.......
Go ahead and start planning your twelve step program now!!

Jerry
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Javyn,

I've got an open comb. Nice razor, but a little on the "lightweight side, and seems to be a bit more aggressive. If I want aggressive, I'll get out a straight razor. For a DE, I still prefer my HD Classic.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
javyn

Post by javyn »

Agh crap! My set came in but instead of a mach 3 handle they sent me a gillette sensor handle instead.
javyn

Post by javyn »

It is? I'm kind of afraid I'd butcher my face going against the grain with it...
javyn

Post by javyn »

Thanks, I'll pick up a small pack of them tonight, also to be sure this handle IS in fact a sensor handle. Honestly I have no idea what goes into it, all I know is a Mach 3 doesn't fit.
javyn

Post by javyn »

My brother was reading over my shoulder while I typed the previous message and remembered he had some old sensor blades. Nope, no fit! This handle has a claw in the middle, and two longer claws on either side. When you press the button two extra little claws come out next to the middle claw to eject the cartrdige. Whatever this is, it's getting sent back and exchanged for the Mach 3 version. Thanks for the replies though! I have a suspicion once I start using the brush and bowl, I'm going to be ordering a DE anyway. But no point in having a set that I won't or can't use.
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Might be an Atra.
Oops, maybe not. Sorry.
javyn

Post by javyn »

here is the handle in question:

Image[/img]
javyn

Post by javyn »

Thanks a bunch Chris! Well, Atra it is. Doesn't look hopeful, I just did a google on Atra and read that they aren't making the replacements for it anymore.
javyn

Post by javyn »

Thanks for the advice, Chris. I'll definately ask when I call them tomorrow if they have a Sensor handle to go with this set.