The one of a kind journey.

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Aztecface wrote:Buzz, the Plisson's were quite expensive. In the range of the washbag I was interested in.
Well, as of today neither Plisson nor Atkinson list any HMWs set in plexiglass on their internet sites and Colonial Drug in Cambridge (U.S.A.) no longer can get them. Therefore, it seems to me that genuine HMWs in plexi handles...id est, those set with black collars...are quite a find at any price!

Buzz
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Upon entering Trumper's I was greeted by a very nice gentleman who was very keen on answering all of my questions. One of them was why they were discontinuing the splash bottles. He prefered the splashbottles himself. Apparently it was all a decision by Miss Bersch. He was quite suprised that I even knew who she was. Very keen to find out what I thought about their products, what I use and what others I know think.

Unfortunatly Miss Bersch had implemented a ban. No photography was allowed and I didn't want to act disrespectful towards her or the nice gentleman who assisted me. I asked once and let it rest there.

The entire time I talked to him I kept thinking that I had seen him somewhere before. It wasn't until I returned home I found out who he is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OpDvvVa1Mg

I really liked the feel of the Jermyn Street shop and was pleasantly surprised at how many straight razors were sold during the 30 minutes I was there. I think they sold 6 while I spoke to Camile.

Of course I couldn't leave without purchasing something. Preferably I was searching for things I had never tried before. One bottle of 200ml "Amber Floreka" hairdressing, one bottle of 100ml "Sandalwood Skinfood",
Although common knowledge that the light hairdressing "San Remo" has been discontinued for quite some time, I asked for it and they had a couple of bottles left of it. A 200ml bottle found it's way to me as well.

Oh, and one more thing... Gentlemen, feast your eyes on the very last 200ml bottle available of(they had it safely stashed)

An extremely nice shop with a very pleasant aura. I should like to be shaved there the next time. I had a very nice experiance here.

Turning back and moving past Turnbull & Asser and towards St James Street we turned left.

Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, Jani, you certainly did a pretty thorough job of cleaning out these shops of some of their really good, no longer offered, products, didn't you now?.....sigh. Yeah, that chap, Kamail is the fellow in their still shots of their shop, shaving, etc. on their website as well. In the '90s, Ian Matthews had that positon, and now he's back as their 'director of marketing', or some such, and I rather think that it's he who is behind a lot of Ms. Bersch's recent 'decisions' ( the cutting out of long favoured products, fewer classic splash bottles, et. al. ). I do hope that newcomers will note how Mr. Kamail stretched the customer's skin and used very short strokes, even with a M3. They may also take a good look at the lather, for, although it may not be possible to quite get that, with some water, that is what you're aiming for. BTW, have you checked out the black shave soap yet?
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, thanks to the fact that I have been paying attention. I'm not done yet though. :)

The Black shave soap has not been opened yet. I'm even considering not opening it.

Have you checked your PM inbox?
Regards,
Jani
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Use it Jani, that's it's purpose.
Regards,
Squire
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Wow, those stores are shavegeek heaven. I'd probably be broke after a few minutes in one of those stores. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, Yeah. It's probably just as well that I HAVEN'T been able to make the trek over there. I've known for years what those shops are like, and it would probably bankrupt me.....them, the shirtmakers, and Fortnum & Mason. I'm safe in Tampa......REALLY safe....sigh....
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Squire wrote:Use it Jani, that's it's purpose.
I know. I will get to using it eventually.

Gordon, I already have a lot of products from the different companies and I was looking for products out of the ordinary as you mentioned previously. The other companies didn't have that many but D.R. Harris and T&H managed to surprise me.

Expect me when you see me.
Regards,
Jani
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Very cool pics and info, Jani! Thanks for posting.
Lynn
DEF

Post by DEF »

London... shopping spree... Swedish girlfriend. Whatever the cost of the trip, I'm sure it will have been worth it. Thanks very much for sharing these lovely photos and stories. Congratulations on some very nice purchases.
Doug
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Jani, this is a great thread with fascinating pictures. I visited that neighborhood about 4 years ago. I was a confirmed electric razor man, and the shops devoted to obsolete shaving astonished me. Of course I didn't go into any of these strange places: just looked through the windows.

Now I can only shake my head and regret all the money I didn't spend...

--Glenn
goose

Post by goose »

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and describe your experiences.

Clint
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Clint, it's my pleasure. I'm not done yet though. More to come, but when I have the time.
Regards,
Jani
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Jani,

You are very lucky indeed. My credit card would have been maxxed out and I would probably be divoreced right now. I would have been (excuse the expression) in "HAWG HEAVEN". You must give us you opinion of the various products you purchased in the 'Gentelemen's Corner". I wait in anticipation so that I can live vicariously through you...

Enjoy your shave (you have to)... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jani, Ahem....( cough ), am eagerly awaiting the remainder of you excellent travelogue.
Regards,
Gordon
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

After looking over this wonderful thread only one word comes to mind...
jealous~
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

We want more photos !!!!!!!!! :D

Damn, I'm hungry again! :D :D
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

What the deuce? Ahhh yes... D.R. Harris.

We were greeted by a very nice lady and a young gentleman who were very helpful. As a few of you might know I'm quite fond of hair dressings and I was expecting this shop to be filled with them. I was not too far off.

As D.R. Harris are chemists they also have some non prescipt. medicine and such, colognes by Guerlain and a few other unusual items. The unusual items they had, that are not available elsewhere, is their very nice Brilliantine with the scent(discretely) of spicy oranges(themed on EdP) of which I procured a bottle.

As they no longer make their own mouthwash or the famous hangover "cure", I found a bottle of another mouthwash that I must say really tastes great.

The Eau de Portugal by D.R. Harris is really fantastic. The Bay Rum had a very nice scent as well but I couldn't very well purchase that as well. I wouldn't have been able to purchase a bottle of this old gem.

This was the very last bottle in store and stock anywhere.

Not that I have any larger problems with dandruff... well not at least since I started with dressings, but this stuff is very effective but the scent is really horrible. Sulphuric and *bleh*. Then again, it has a few years on it's neck, as if you can see clearly it has only the seal of the Queen and D.R. Harris as I know have not had that seal solely for at least a decade.

I bought a box of their Almond Oil bathsoap. Incidently, it smells fantastic and it's still tallow(Tallow is the first ingredient).

My experiance of this shop was fantastic. The level of service was something you could only long for in shops that don't even come near this level in Sweden. My girlfriend liked this shop as well. While the young gentleman was tending to me, the lady at the store was assisting my girlfriend with Guerlain and their own colognes. She came out of the shop with a bottle of the "Rose Geranium" bathoil and a bottle of their "Mayfair" cologne.

The time was now about 13.00 and my appointment at T&H for my shave was not until 14.30. I saw a sign to a pub just around the corner to T&H and stopped there for some Fish and Chips. The best Fish and Chips I've ever had. If I only could remember the name of the place. Very nice girl who waitered our table. She thought I look like a college professor. That was the fourth time a young girl in London told me I looked like a college professor. Not that there is anything bad about it, it just amused me.

Expect me when you see me.
Last edited by Aztecface on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jani, Okay, you did not disappoint. I've seen the other stuff in NYC, but I don't think I've seen the 'Scruff & Dandruff' lotion, although I did know that it existed. That's the Queen Mother's Warrant, which didn't become entirely inactive until a couple of years ago ( she passed away in 2002, and a Warrant is still valid for a couple or three years after the demise ). Does Harris's still make their hair lotions in differing concentrations of oil; 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc.? I keep telling Mr. Bargepole to stop by there, as they still offer a honey and flowers hair dressing like the ones of yore that he fancied. They are no longer making their hangover cure?! You're kidding? That was argueably their most famous product. And I noticed that huge, original style, bottle of Shalimar up there on the ledge. But I hope dear Dr. Peter does NOT notice that huge shave brush there on the counter. He's liable to be over the Channel in a flash. He's darn near run out of brushes to buy afterall ( chuckle ). Good work, a great segment.
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, they still make the Bay Rum and the Lerinia so that you can choose the amount of oil you want but only at the shop. If you order those dressings from their website it will only be with 1/4 oil or none at all.

Unfortunatly though, they no longer offer a dressing with a floral scent(I would have loved to have a bottle of that). They had a bottle of it in their museum though. I can't remember what it was called.

They stopped making the mouthwash and hangover "cure" several years ago. My girlfriend laughed when I asked for it at the store.

Actually there were several Simpsons brushes in the museum. I remember a very large, dense and bulbous one especially.
Regards,
Jani