Wetting Face before Lathering...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Boyextraordinare

Wetting Face before Lathering...

Post by Boyextraordinare »

I'm a bit confused here.

When you whip up a lather you're mixing water with cream/soap.

That lather goes on the brush, which is also water-loaded.

Doesn't wetting your face before applying lathering up just add undue water to the lather you spend time making balanced, throwing it off, making it overly watery?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Not if you have less water in the brush. As long as you make it all balance out, it's fine.

I wet my face (or actually just not dry it from the shower) because then I'm guaranteed not to have any dry areas.
Boyextraordinare

The lathering part is the most annoying.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Boyextraordinare wrote:The lathering part is the most annoying.
It is? I love it! After some practice (i.e. getting down a routine that works every time) and finding a product that smells and feels good to you, I bet you'll start to enjoy it.
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

Kaveh, I wash my face with hot water and while I am bulding the lather it evaporates. I don't splash more water to my face because it will brake the critical point of cream/water ratio.
If you want you can have the lather in the more dry state and work the finishing on your face, then you have to splash some water.

But when it comes to soap because all the time I lather on my face, you must have water on it.

Elias
drumana

Post by drumana »

I really enjoy the lathering process...
-Andrew-
crunchy

Post by crunchy »

drumana wrote:
I really enjoy the lathering process...
Me, too. Lathering is one of the best things about wetshaving (IMO)! It was the one thing I missed most when I went from the cartridge razors to my electric.
Southern Gentleman with 6 kids, and loving every minute of it!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

If you find lathering an annoyance, the brush and bowl just might not be the best endeavor for you...indeed, it isn't for everyone. There are other sources of shaving lubricant...brushless cream and the dreaded aerosol can leap to mind...which might be more to your liking.

Buzz
King-D

Post by King-D »

And remember, lathering lifts up the whisker so that it may be cut with ease. :roll:
David

Shave in the shower!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I dont wet my face once I dry it after getting out of the shower, I lather soaps directly on my face and whip up a cream in a bowl then apply it to my face, no extra water.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Shave Cat

Wetting Face Before Lathering

Post by Shave Cat »

The reason for wetting the face before lathering is to soften your facial hairs. I actually apply a wet wash cloth to my beard for a couple of minutes prior to lathering. Admittedly, hair can only absorb a certain amount of moisture, and the texture of everyone's beard is different. Many of us also wash our faces first to remove oils that may inhibit the absorption of moisture. It's all part of the preparation process, making the beard easier to cut. I don't find the small amount of water retained on my face to be a hindrance to lathering. The amount of beard preparation needed varies from individual to individual. You'll have to experiment a little to find what works best for you.

-Clarke
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

Interesting this because I brought this up the other day in a different section. I had always wetted the face prior to lathering but noted that Richard in his video on straight razor shaving did not. I also felt that lather character was not optimal the way I was doing it. I then tried lathering on a dry face and found it a little disconcerting, not quite right . I then did what Clarke does and this is good. I soak a small face towel in hot water then squeeze out the water and apply to the face for a minute or so. This delivers just the right degree of dampness.

John
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I wet my face right before I lather. Today, using Williams, I actually hand-lathered (as I would soap my face), then applied the brush and kept adding water to the mix...

My grandfather always swore that the longer you lathered with the brush, the smoother the shave would be. I try to keep this in mind...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

I wouldn't argue with your grandfather, Jack, absolutely right!

John
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

paperpundit wrote:My grandfather always swore that the longer you lathered with the brush, the smoother the shave would be. I try to keep this in mind...
Your grandfather knew the benefit of softening his beard. :)
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

notthesharpest wrote:
paperpundit wrote:My grandfather always swore that the longer you lathered with the brush, the smoother the shave would be. I try to keep this in mind...
Your grandfather knew the benefit of softening his beard. :)
I spend more time lathering than I do shaving. I go by the old saying : "A good lather is half the shave"

The face must be wet. It softens the beard. That's why it's called wet shaving! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Kaveh,

Hear me out for just a moment. A quality and very enjoyable shave "takes some time". If you are in a hurry to shave you are using the wrong products and may as well use an electric razor (shudder).

Pour you a glass of wine, scotch, beer (pic your flavor), or cup of coffee, and place it on the sink. Take your mug, place your brush in it and fill it with hot water. Have your razor, blade, soap or cream, and after shave/balm preselected and out as well.

Now take a relaxing shower. When finished towell off (except your face) and wrap said towell around you and stand at the sink. Take a sip of the beverage of your choice. Empty the water out of the mug and gently shake the brush. Load the brush with the soap or cream and in a circular motion gently turn the brush in the mug. Go one way a while then reverse the action. Listen to the clink, clink, clink of the brush as it hits the side of the mug and smell the aroma of the soap or cream as it imminates in the air. Now take another sip of your favorite beverage and begin to lather your face in a circular fashion until you have a nice face full of aromatic creamy shaving cream. Place the mug and brush (if your not using a scuttle) in warm water in the sink.

Now "slowly" shave and listen to the blade as it slices the whickers off your face, rinsing the razor in the sink where the mug is sitting. First pass is over. Take another sip of the beverage, empty the dirty water out of the sink and rinse your face with warm water. Use the brush that was sitting in the mug that was sitting in warm water and reapply for pass number two following the same instructions as the first pass. If you are going to make a third pass, follow the above instructions.

When done, take another sip of your favorite beverage, rinse your face in warm water, rinse with cold water followed by a generous splash of Witch hazel or Dr Thayer's Witch Hazel (any flavor), let air dry and then apply your favorite after shave or balm.

Finsh the glass of wine, scotch, beer, or coffee and enjoy the rest of your day or evening.

There is no such thing as lathering being a chore. It's a pleasure and an integral part of "ENJOYING YOUR SHAVE".
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Scotch -- its whats for breakfast!

Oscar, you the man!
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

listen to merkur man thats the ticket getting the beard ready is most enjoyable find what works the best when you find it theres pleasure and enjoyment your shave will improve

i take my time generally a normal 3 pass shave from beginning to end
including cleaning the mess 15 to 20 minutes no rush
its the best part of the day

marc
Boyextraordinare

Ya, I need to slow it down.

Thanks Merkur Man.

I've been so fast paced, my GF went to Lush today and bought a ton of bath and shower enhancers for us to enjoy...Destress and decompress.

Also, I use a cream. Trumper's Coconut. Till now I've been scooping out a tiny bit with a small spoon and putting it my mug, then adding a wet brush to the bowl and mixing.

Can I just dip my wet brush in the shaving cream tub or is that a no-no?

I really need some cream lathering tips...I've watched Mantic's videos several times, but still am not doing the right thing.