"Shavette" - Bad Name for a Killer Tool

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Boyextraordinare

"Shavette" - Bad Name for a Killer Tool

Post by Boyextraordinare »

I'll henceforth be referring to them as: "Repeating-Magazine Cutthroats."

Appropriate?

Or do they take too long to load to warrant so glamorous a name?
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: "Shavette" - Bad Name for a Killer Tool

Post by M6Classic »

Boyextraordinare wrote:I'll henceforth be referring to them as: "Repeating-Magazine Cutthroats."

Appropriate?

Or do they take too long to load to warrant so glamorous a name?
What we say in the hazards management business about nuclear power, "A rather complicated way to boil water."

Buzz
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

What you are referring to with "Repeating-Magazine Cutthroats" is the Feather Razor which is much less lame than a shavette, it even comes with an Injector-type loader.

It is inevitable that you will try a real straight one day so just stop defending the shavette. It is a piss-poor excuse for a straight razor, they should make them only in pink.
Richard
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

rustyblade wrote:What you are referring to with "Repeating-Magazine Cutthroats" is the Feather Razor which is much less lame than a shavette, it even comes with an Injector-type loader.

It is inevitable that you will try a real straight one day so just stop defending the shavette. It is a piss-poor excuse for a straight razor, they should make them only in pink.
Agreed! :o
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
drumana

Post by drumana »

Oh boy :shock:

Well, I've never tried a shavette (Feather AC, or whatever it is), but I can confirm that shaving with a real straight razor is bad a**... if I had more patience I'd shave with mine more often...
-Andrew-
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Kaveh, I hear they really like shavette's over at www.straightrazorplace.com. Maybe you should tell them how much you like yours.

:lol:
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Kaveh, I think Shavettes and their close relatives are rather harsh, nasty devices. There is too much blade exposure for a blade that thin and they can easily cause irritation. If one insists on a disposible blade straight, the Feather ACs are a much higher grade tool. For daily shaving, however, IMO, one either uses a real straight or a proper safety razor....never been a big fan of disposible blade straights, just don't see any advantages to them, and several disadvantages.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I still haven't learned to shave with that infernal Japanese Feather razor. I'd rather use a good Henckel knife on my face than that contraption.
One of these days I'll get around to putting it on the selling forum.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
JimR

Post by JimR »

bernards66 wrote:Kaveh, I think Shavettes and their close relatives are rather harsh, nasty devices. There is too much blade exposure for blade that thin and they can easily cause irritation. If one insists on a disposible blade straight, the Feather ACs are a much higher grade tool. For daily shaving, however, IMO, one either uses a real straight or a proper safety razor....never been a big fan of disposible blade straights, just don't see any advantages to them, and several disadvantages.
Regards,
Gordon
I'm not a user, but from conversations I've had with my barber, they are called "professional" for a reason. When you shave several faces a day, stropping and honing can be come a real chore, thus the disposable blades are a great help.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Barbers use them because they're convenient, yes, not because they're good. Same with the foam from a machine that is all you will ever see here in the US. Once again, it's quick and easy....but not as good. I've been shaved many times by barbers using Shavettes or similiar, and even in the hands of one of the skilled ones ( many were not, BTW ) hardly ever have I escaped without at least a little razor burn, and sometimes a lot. Jim, keep in mind that the Japanese Feather versions are markedly better, but hardly any barbers outside of Japan use those. There are several makes/models that are often used here, some not quite so bad as others. The worst, IMO, are the models where they simply break a DE blade in half and slip that in.
Regards,
Gordon
Boyextraordinare

rustyblade wrote:Kaveh, I hear they really like shavette's over at www.straightrazorplace.com. Maybe you should tell them how much you like yours.

:lol:

hahaha

Wow, is this thing impressive: http://www.harnerknives.com/wp-content/ ... 6195sm.jpg

Ya, well, talking about badass, I'm only using DEs and the Repeating Magazine Cutthroats for side-burn and neck-line shape-ups, shaving everything else with a Sensor/Trac II.

The real luxury of shaving comes in the form of the quality of your cream/soap, brush, and razor handle ;) ;) ;)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I find the smooth glide of a blade/razor combo that is just right for me the most pleasurable.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Now that I'm getting to grips with a proper straight razor, I can see the practical/lazy attraction of the Feather ilk from a new angle.

Shaving technique is really a minor element in getting the hang of a straight razor. Factor out stropping and honing by making the blade replaceable, and the experience is robbed of its magical element.

That said - the Feather AC shave still ranks as the longest lasting shave I've ever managed to give myself.

The shavette, by definition, is of course for feathering hair into Beegees dos... :P
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Boyextraordinare

Or for supafly artwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlzOmi05xaE

But in all seriousness, there's nothing wimpy about using a shavette.

Take the safety bar off your DE and see for yourself.

----------------------

BTW, I was at Sally's the other day and saw they were selling this:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Feather-Razo ... lt,pd.html

What is this? And what is the non-guarded version called? Or does this take other blades? What is the Feather AC, etc? I'm all confused about this stuff...
goose

Post by goose »

That razor is for hair styling and I'm not sure it is by the same manufacturer that produces Feather DE blades and the Feather Artist Club. I could be wrong though.

Here are the Feather Razors that were referred to above. Richard also has a video on youtube of him shaving himself with a non-folding Feather razor.

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/1240646.htm

Clint
Boyextraordinare

It was by the same brand, as the logo was there.

At any rate, the difference between these and shavettes is that they better emulate a real str8?

Is this, which has the option of going no-guard, the Personna variant of the Japanese non-folding Feather AC? Just by looks and price alone it's obviously an inferior product, but is it along the same lines?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Personna-Fla ... lt,pd.html
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Boyextraordinare wrote:It was by the same brand, as the logo was there.

At any rate, the difference between these and shavettes is that they better emulate a real str8?

Is this, which has the option of going no-guard, the Personna variant of the Japanese non-folding Feather AC? Just by looks and price alone it's obviously an inferior product, but is it along the same lines?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Personna-Fla ... lt,pd.html
I wouldn't think they were even close. I don't own either, but I'm familiar with both. I don't think I would waste my money buying the Personna even if it were along the the same lines, but we all have our preferences and someone on this board may actually own one and can give you more info than I.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...