New and improved shaving mug design!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
barbiere

Post by barbiere »

I agree with Joe Lerch as to color choice. A classy, elegant look is more fitting and in line with the quality equipment most guys seem to have.

Thanks again to our developer for the work put in so far.

Jerry
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

i was jested about the colors....but the aluminum silver with a black snap ring should look very classy...

the bowls that you'ver mention might work...i like a shallowere bowl to keep the brush noise down....

if a ceramic, white would be my first choice....black would be second..

mark tssb
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

If the logistics hold up and an actual mug can be made what would be the price point. I would be interested in purchasing one, but it would depend on how much it cost. Any ideas?
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

Just a thought on bowl retention devices: have you considered the right size o-ring? They're cheap and very durable. Some of our water plants use hundreds of them in diameters of up to 12". You could go for a friction fit, or use one as a continuous bungee looped under some molded in projections on the outside of the ceramic (although you might have to take some care to avoid launching one in that case).

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
clhurley2

Post by clhurley2 »

Good Morning,
I am new to your forum. Studying posts yesterday (I'm developing a line of Men's Shaving products) I saw your design for the shaving mug, which is very nice I might add.
I have a question and a comment..

Why is there a metal insert ? Is it to help hold heat ?

comment: In the soap making world they ( Manufacturers) advise you to stay away from packaging a soap product with aluminum..rust factor over time. I realize that the plastic insert covers the aluminum...but over time I wonder if it would rust around the rim...Just a thought.

Did a little research for you...Check this out

www.gandhi-exports.com/stainless-steel-bowls.html

sorry, I don't know how to do links. Center picture, bottom left. A very nice small stainless steel bowl...looks like it will drop right in your design.

A local machine shop could help you fabricate a prototype to be passed to a manufacturer.

Enjoying my Java, Colleen Hurley
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

clhurley2 wrote:Good Morning,

comment: In the soap making world they ( Manufacturers) advise you to stay away from packaging a soap product with aluminum..rust factor over time. I realize that the plastic insert covers the aluminum...but over time I wonder if it would rust around the rim...Just a thought.
Where I come from aluminum doesn't rust--steel and iron do but not aluminum. :)
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

mgraepel

Post by mgraepel »

Ah, but aluminum will corrode, and it is toxic when it isn't oxidized.
MxVandal

Post by MxVandal »

no aluminum does not rust :roll: but it does corrode.... but not if you anodize it! wich was my original intent, but now I am just looking for a suitable stainless steel bowl already made and then I will design the mug and closure around that. I have these bowls on the way to see if they will work, if so I will see if I can order the size I like direct from the manufacturer.
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=400504
"Its only shaving cream..." Wife
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Any more word on this?
KillerPancake

Post by KillerPancake »

A suggestion:

A "fill line" on the inside of the ceramic mug so you know just how much hot water to put in there witout having it splash all over when you put in the metal insert.
MxVandal

Post by MxVandal »

I am still working on the concept. I am actualy using a prototype made from a small metel bowl and a plastic "Gladware" container for the outside just to see if the concept works. so far it is working pretty good, it keeps the shaving cream warm. I have gotton very busy at work so I wont have time to work on the actully mug until after the 1st of the year :cry: . I will take some pics of my "prototype" :D and post them for all.
"Its only shaving cream..." Wife
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Keep up the good work. The quest for the holy warm lather grail takes time.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Don't let us rush you, Don, eager as we are to see something as soon as possible. Take whatever time it takes to do it right.

Dave T
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Cool, can't wait to see the prototype.
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I know we're not going to have anything new on this until next year, but I wanted to bump the thread up so we don't forget about it. I think it's a neat idea and I for one wouldn't want to miss out on a wet shave breakthrough.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Making this post sticky for a limited time.

Vince
:::Vince:::
TorontoGuy

Post by TorontoGuy »

I had just posted a question whether something like this existed on a different thread and was pointed here by a very helpful member. I'm looking for something exactly like this and will follow this very closely. Price point (at least to me) is less important than function. And this has function. :-)
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I know that classic shave offers a pewter shave scuttle for around $70. That looks like it would function similar to this. The basic difference would be the transfer of heat and the size.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I've been using a small pyrex bowl-- I think I paid about 6 bucks for a pair of them in a supermarket.

Pryex might be better than steel or anodized aluminum (I'd be concerned about scratching up the anodization over time), and if you used an off-the-shelf bowl, you could have interchangable inserts. I think the bowl is also heavy enough that it could sit in a groove without needing a retaining mechanism. I think it also has pretty good heat properties.

Scott
ShavetheBadger

Post by ShavetheBadger »

I picked up three of these on the weekend from an outlet style store. They were 0.99$ each and are 4" across and 2" deep.
The tag said
Multipurpose bowl
Item #786
Imported by ERAWARE
Made in India

Dont know if this helps any, but if you check out eraware they may have a number of different options.

I'd be interested in a new mug.

Matt
Has anyone here actually tried to shave a badger? It's more difficult than you would think.

Check out Thomas Anthony Company shaving brushes.