New and improved shaving mug design!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
NoamChomsky

Post by NoamChomsky »

Look here guys, there about about 5,000 variations on these 'shaving' mugs made with everything from ceramic, to granite, to polished bamboo, to the revered Shino at most Japanese dollar stores.

I see no reason investing any more than $5 on a symmetric mug no larger than most cups...
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

NoamChomsky wrote:Look here guys, there about about 5,000 variations on these 'shaving' mugs made with everything from ceramic, to granite, to polished bamboo, to the revered Shino at most Japanese dollar stores.

I see no reason investing any more than $5 on a symmetric mug no larger than most cups...
To each his own. However, if I find a mug that suits my needs in regards to shaving I will pay more than $5 for it. Especially the one that is being designed. I've never seen a $5 mug that can keep my lather hot.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Johnnie wrote:
NoamChomsky wrote:Look here guys, there about about 5,000 variations on these 'shaving' mugs made with everything from ceramic, to granite, to polished bamboo, to the revered Shino at most Japanese dollar stores.

To each his own. However, if I find a mug that suits my needs in regards to shaving I will pay more than $5 for it. Especially the one that is being designed. I've never seen a $5 mug that can keep my lather hot.

J
The more I think about it, anything short of adding boiling water or plugging something in, the hot tap water will not stay hot enough to make a difference (and offset room temperature air on the lather/brush). I don't fancy a kettle in the bathroom or running downstairs to the kitchen just to get a few minutes of warm lather.

If you are going the hotpot route anyway, then you don't need a special mug.

I use a quaich which I pour hot tap water in and soak my brush and then take a shower. When I am ready to shave the water is only slightly warm, so I empty it, refill it with hot water and then run my brush under the hot water. Empty the water again and lather in the bowl. By the time the brush hits my face the lather is only warm, not hot. Second lather is cool.
Richard
gkennedy34

Post by gkennedy34 »

Just wanted to express my interest in this project. I'm looking for a good shave mug. Keep up the good work! :)
custom410

Post by custom410 »

ShavetheBadger wrote:I picked up three of these on the weekend from an outlet style store. They were 0.99$ each and are 4" across and 2" deep.
The tag said
Multipurpose bowl
Item #786
Imported by ERAWARE
Made in India

Matt
Which outlet store did you get this in?

It seems like a very good size. It just needs a handle, but realistically, I find I just hold my shave mugs/bowls without the handle anyway.
Thanks
Cheers,
Rob