How long can your whiskers be and still shave with a DE?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gene

Post by Gene »

brothers wrote:I think any of those who are reading already know that for a short time I had an avatar of Wilford Brimley, and I think they already know who Val Kilmer is. I think they also know that I changed the avatar from Brimley to Val, because I certainly was ignorant of the controversy, and under any circumstances I don't want to offend my fellow shaving enthusiasts.

Best Regards to all,
Gary,

I don't think I ever saw your avatar change - at least on this thread. I looked back and it always looked like Kilmer to me.

Totally ignorant of your Wilford one...
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

To drag us back on topic - the fact is, the razor is shaving the base of the whisker. It does not have a clue or really care how much altitude of hair is above it.
I remarked one time to a logger that the tree he was chopping was really tall. He said - "right enough it is but once I cut through this fat part in front of me the rest of it will fall right over."
The issue is more one of clogging or build up in front of the razor causing it to lift away from the face. I have taken off full beards to socially acceptable look with absolutly no problems. The first attack though has to be done in incremental attack with more razor rinses and sometimes a wipe of a pile of hair and lather rolled up in front of my razor and just hanging onto the remaining lather and beard for dear life in an attempt to forestall progress. Just make sure the razor is against your face and not riding on hair and you will get it done with a minimum of fuss.
After that you will enjoy your shaves so much it will never again be an issue.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene wrote:
brothers wrote:I think any of those who are reading already know that for a short time I had an avatar of Wilford Brimley, and I think they already know who Val Kilmer is. I think they also know that I changed the avatar from Brimley to Val, because I certainly was ignorant of the controversy, and under any circumstances I don't want to offend my fellow shaving enthusiasts.

Best Regards to all,
Gary,

I don't think I ever saw your avatar change - at least on this thread. I looked back and it always looked like Kilmer to me.

Totally ignorant of your Wilford one...
I have found that when you change, it is retroactively applied to all of your posts back to day one. Now, back to the topic.

The question of the shaving of a beard with a DE. This is kind of like the old saying of the Texas Rangers: One riot, one Ranger. That applies to shaving. One DE razor is all a guy needs. all the rest is fluff.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ateace

Post by ateace »

Hi, PJ - In my experience, DE shaving with a few days' growth is easier than with cartridges. Most DEs can take more lather and whiskers without clogging. Remember, use NO pressure and don't worry about getting a BBS shave right away. Go for comfortable and presentable first. Better to have a bit of stubble here and there than to walk around with a red, irritated face for the world to see.
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Greetings and welcome to the board.

with 1/8th whiskers you shouldn't have too much trouble shaving them off.
Soak your beard well with very warm water, not HOT, and even apply some soft soap/cream with your hands and rub in well.
Then apply a warm water soaked towel and let it sit for a minute or two.
Then lather liberally with your chosen soap/cream and really scrub it into those whiskers with your new brush.
Let that sit for about 30 seconds.
Scrub in a bit more with the brush....

Take S L O W Deliberate strokes only an inch or two in length with the grain of the beard.
Do NOT press heavily with the new razor!!!!! Let the weight of the razor do the work and keep the handle as perpendicular to the face as possible, while maintaining blade to whisker contact.
Resist the temptation to "go over and over" areas , or shave too many passes.
As stated above, your face may feel tight or "sun burnt" after your first couple of shaves.
The multi-blade wonder razors, you can throw around in any old which- way and get a "shave".... with a DE you must be more meticulous with regard to direction of cut , angle and pressure!

As long as you go slowly and carefully, you should have an enjoyable experience. Good luck!

When I grow a beard and take it off, I usually use a straight or a naked DE blade in my fingers. Or.... I have used a knife in the past, story told on this board a long time ago...LOL.

Gramps (the other Wilford Brimley.... hahahahahahaha)
~~ Larry ~~
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

Gramps, why a naked DE blade using your hands?

I've tried that before, and it's awful.

Why not just stick it in a holder?
drumana

Post by drumana »

am I asking for trouble with this different razor style and maybe I should look into purchasing a trimmer to take it down (as much as a trimmer can) before shaving if I find myself in this scenario?
Andrew

The longest I've gone was just over a week when I was on vacation this summer. I have moderate beard growth... my Slant DE w/ Feather blade annihilated my beard with ease. You will not need a trimmer, in my opinion.
-Andrew-
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Boyextraordinare wrote:Gramps, why a naked DE blade using your hands?

I've tried that before, and it's awful.

Why not just stick it in a holder?
Don't have a holder, aka. Shavette
Open blade does not clog up....
No need to use the scissors before shaving....
Whiskers just roll up the blade and are easily rinsed off....

It's not "awful" for me. Just go slow and pay attention to angle.
I don't have to do it often, remember, and I usually use a str8 anyway,.

- Gramps clean-shaven and lovin it, still.... \:D/
~~ Larry ~~
mmack66

Post by mmack66 »

You can also use an open comb razor as I believe they are better at shaving longer beard growth.
Mark
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Tomorrow night will be the first shave since Friday afternoon. Got away with a bit of stubble last night. By Monday night it will be looking pretty scruffy, but I find using Omega cream in the tube (a variation of Proraso with lanolin) softens the beard enough to get BBS, even with longer growths.

I can't use the Omega cream 4-5 days in a row without cumulative irritation, but Old Spice sensitive in the can offters better protection for the skin. The Old Spice doesn't soften the beard as much or give as close a shave, but it is better for my skin on a day-to-day basis.
StockShark

Post by StockShark »

mmack66 wrote:You can also use an open comb razor as I believe they are better at shaving longer beard growth.
Exactly! If you ever read up on Gillette history...you will see why all the original DE'a were open comb...The open comb was specifically designed to shave longer whiskers. More of a novelty or personal preference today..but the theory is sound.

Best
The Shark
spinyeel

Post by spinyeel »

I've just got back from a 5 day fishing trip and my Gem 1912 loaded with a Personna stainless made easy work of some heavy growth.I find Gems much less prone to clogging than d/e razors. :)