limescale

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
ralph

limescale

Post by ralph »

Hi there, what do ye do with the razor after a shave.
My last razor started to fall apart, which i think was due to the limescale layer that was always on it when i pick it back up.
I pressume washing it, cold or hot water, do they also need to be oiled now and again to last for longer, DE razoer btw
Cheers
oldfat1

Post by oldfat1 »

Hi ralph.

There are two products here in the US that work great.
They are "Scrubbing Bubbles" and "CLR" CLR stands for Calcium, Lime, Rust.I don't know if they are in Scotland but if you find them a soak in either one, then scrub with a toothbrush and rinse. It should remove the soap and hard water stains.

I use Mineral oil on the actions of TTO's and adjustables.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Ralph

The water down here in Wiltshire is very hard so I give the razor a clean with dish detergent and an old toothbrush, it seems to do the trick.
I'd be careful about using limescale removers available in the UK, like Viakal. I'm not sure if there is a UK version of scrubbing bubbles or CLR, maybe someone else knows?

cheers

Pete
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I rinse mine off after ever shave. When I replace the blade, I give it a good scrub down with a toothbrush and Scrubbing Bubbles.

But, my understanding is Scrubbing Bubbles is hard to get in the UK. I'm told there is a brand called Cif Bathroom Mousse, which is pretty much the same thing.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

soak in vinegar to remove lime scale.

id do this in the uk all the time to our kettle.. and here in the us with my motherin laws coffee thing.

plain old white vinegar.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
ralph

Post by ralph »

soak in vinegar, toothbrush with cif - you see thats why i like this forum, ask any question and bam next day its answered, debated, argued and then backed up.
So only scrub once in a while and just rinse with water after every time used?
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

I have assumed Scrubbing Bubbles is pretty similar to shower cleaning products in solution form obtained in most superstores like Tesco, Asda etc here in the UK. The wife has a clear foaming solution in a trigger-action container (not aerosol) put out as "Bathroom Cleaner" by Tesco which claims to remove limescale and scum (it lacks any abrasive quality) which has worked well for me with mildly-soiled razors.

John
Crhis

Post by Crhis »

I'll have to look in to that Cif Bathroom Mousse.

Up to now I've only seen scrubbing bubbles (unavailable) or vinegar recommended. And I, um, have a bit of a phobia of vinegar.

Vinegar and feet. Yuck.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Re: limescale

Post by Racso_MS »

ralph wrote:Hi there, what do ye do with the razor after a shave.
My last razor started to fall apart, which i think was due to the limescale layer that was always on it when i pick it back up.
I pressume washing it, cold or hot water, do they also need to be oiled now and again to last for longer, DE razoer btw
Cheers
Since you are unable to find "Scrubbing Bubbles", which is a general purpose bathroom cleaner here in the US. A "solution" of vinegar and water soak then a scrub with an old toothbrush will work to clean your razor. I would not make it too strong a solution though and I'd never use it on a "gold" razor. If you have a mild dishwashing detergent there, use some of that and an old toothbrush to clean your razor. Works just as well and won't harm the razor. There are other concoctions you may hear of but anything that can harm metal will harm your razor (bleach). An occasional soak in mineral oil will keep the parts lubricated and functioning correctly.

Look here for some ideas: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13522

Also: WELCOME TO THE FORUM...Come often and stay long and as always...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
oldfat1

Post by oldfat1 »

Please, as oscar pointed out, PLEASE, don't use bleach.
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

Crhis wrote:Vinegar and feet. Yuck.
+1 on vinegar

Minus a million on the other. A beautiful woman's pedicured feet are an irrestistable treat.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Boyextraordinare wrote:
Crhis wrote:Vinegar and feet. Yuck.
+1 on vinegar

Minus a million on the other. A beautiful woman's pedicured feet are an irrestistable treat.
I trust that many truly beautiful women of any age may not have the means to attain for themselves the luxury of a pedicure. But, as they say, if you got it, use it before you lose it. But if she's not careful, she'll wake up lonely and old, to paraphrase Delbert McClinton.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444