Anyone use an electric as a finisher?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Mimis24

Anyone use an electric as a finisher?

Post by Mimis24 »

I can usually get a close, comfortable shave with a DE, but there are a few tricky areas (mainly the adams apple and just under the chin) where I have to use a rotary electric to finish the job. Anyone else do this or am I the only?
StockShark

Post by StockShark »

EEEEEK!! Never! :) Just funnin ya...IMO...I would shelve the 'lectric and work more on technique. With a little practice and a very light touch, you should master the adams apple in no time. It is a problem for all of us at first. My method: this is the only area for me that requires touch up after a 2-3 pass shave. I just use my fingers to feel for any rough spots..apply a very thin coat of slick lather with my fingers, and VERY lightly do a little blade buffing in a few diff. directions. With very little practice, I think you will find this to be very effective....Just don't try to over do it, or you will get some burn. Hope this helps.

Best,
The Shark
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

whats an electric?

:wink:
King-D

Post by King-D »

I had problems around the adam's apple too. But technique has fixed the problem. You need to work at it. I pull my skin to the left and right, to get it off the adam's apple, then take a gentle swipe. Try it!
David

Shave in the shower!
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

avoid using the electric..........here is why

the electric shaves the whiskers differently than a de does
so your beard and skin will not fully adapt to a de completely

to shave the adams apple area effectively is pretty easy
of course a light touch is always a must and a given

just stretch the skin so it isnt over the adams apple quite simple
if you dont like skin stretching... swallow and hold it in and the adams apple will not protrude

i rather skin stretch

after some time youll probably be able to just shave over it with no problem

just cut the cord man its time

marc
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

Mimis, try to stretch your skin creating flat areas.

If you are new in shaving with a DE you'll see improvements as time passes by. When I started, I couldn't get a close shave in some areas even with an ATG pass and I thought I'll never get those areas like my fusion.
WRONG. It's only a technique and experience issue, so be patient and you'll be rewarded.

You can try also the"water pass"

I shaved once with an electric. What an awful shave!
Regards,

Elias
Mimis24

Post by Mimis24 »

thanks for the replies, i didn't expect much electric supporters but I wish i didn't have to use one either. I've tried everything mentioned and i will try again. I have been using a DE for about a year and I think my technique is very good, its just that the adams apple area and especially the hair under the chin is very hard to shave without getting irritation. I'll keep trying though.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mimis, The irritation problem in those areas can probably be solved as your technique continues to improve. No, I've never heard of anyone doing what you suggest, although I have heard the reverse; gents who would get what they could with an electric and then use a blade to finish the job on some areas of their face. Usually, switching off an electric and a blade is not a good idea as they cut quite differently and the skin can not really adjust to either one, resulting in irritation.
Regards,
Gordon
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

No.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

If anything, use an electric to do the majority of your shave, then blade cut the strays that you'll inevitably be left with.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Mimis, if you have been shaving with a DE for a year, your technique should be pretty well evolved. The exception might be if you have been changing your equipment around frequently.

In my own case, I do best with a mild razor (Gillette Tech or Weishi) and one of the sharper blades (Treet Dura Sharp "Classic" or Gillette Platinum/"Swede," and there are others). The sharper blades make an easier job of cutting through the whiskers. In this case, an easier cut means less "working at it" and less irritation.

The Tech is a mild razor, but if you get the blade angle just right, it shaves close. I'm sure this principle applies to all razors.

What razor and blade are you using now, and what are you using for lather?

- Murray
StockShark

Post by StockShark »

D.Irving79 wrote:whats an electric?
:wink:
My thoughts exactly! I was taught by my dad using a Slim...I tried a 'lectric twice...all i achieved was horribly irritated skin and a lot of ingrowns!
The Shark
JP

Post by JP »

The trouble with an electric is that my face must be dry or it will drag on the skin. Using one after a wet shave doesn't sound workable.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I received an electric razor for Christmas from my sister-in-law. It's still in the box and will be re-gifted next Christmas (or whenever)...

My answer is..."NO"...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I touch up under the nose and lip with a foil after shaving as I find this
gives me best results. No problem using DE only but I find this final touch is an improvement.
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I've tried electric razors several times, including a top-dollar (I won't name brand names here) electrtic that was given as a gift, and everytime I've been left with a very sore and bright red face. The soreness and redness usually lasted several hours and the redness was rather obvious, obvious enough that my boss once asked if I was having an allergic reaction to breakfast!

I'll never use an electric again, though for convenience's sake, I do envy those that can use them. As much as I enjoy my shave with a DE, sometimes during military service, water just isn't available to waste on shaving.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I've noticed with electrics that the user manuals now often recommend that you allow a few weeks of acclimatization for your skin to get use to the shave... I don't have the wherewithal to suffer like that.

IMO four significant factors to a great blade shave are 1. Technique 2. Technique 3. Technique and 4. Consistency in razor and blade (thought I was going to say technique again didn't-ja?).

For my final touch up pass, I now use a very severe (read 90 deg. angle) and GENTLY/LIGHTLY run the razor N/S - amazingly smooth result. All prior passes are done with a shallow angle and my Progress dialed initially at 3.5/3.0 going down to 2.5/2.0 as the reduction process proceeds.

So short answer - no I don't use an electric for touch ups etc, but try to work on technique.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I use an electric occasionally on my head. When I get a bit aggressive doing the head and get a few nicks and cuts I go to the Braun for a few days while they heal.

Used to do my head everyday with the Braun as it did not cause any blood and did produce a nice smooth shave. But it did not last very long. Not nearly as long as a wet shave.

I have never had real success getting a BBS or really close shave on my face and neck with an electric. Usually left a lot of stubble or cause major irritation on the neck if I went for really close shave.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Handy

Post by Handy »

Never have owned and electric so my answer would be no. I do use a sensor excel sometimes for touch ups under the nose.
dgkobs

Post by dgkobs »

My brother had that problem with an electric, a Norelco.

Just tore his face up and he gave it to me.

I occasionally will use it for the progressive stubble reduction that we have probably all read about.

It will take down the stubble like the first WTG pass.

Then I finish off with my traditional wetshave to get all the stuff left behind.
1963 Gillette adjustable, Merkur silvertip brush, bath junkie sandalwood cream.