Memory Lane

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
desertbadger

Memory Lane

Post by desertbadger »

Since I’m rather new to the forum here, I’m not sure if this type of post is really warranted or even wanted. But after having read a lot of the beginners’ questions and concerns, I thought that maybe a stroll down memory lane might shed a little light on how things used to be. At least it might bring some pleasant memories to the more experienced shavers.
The year was 1958, maybe 59’. A very young boy (me) was watching his uncle shave with a mug and shave brush. I thought that was the neatest thing I had ever seen since my dad first took me fishing. I remember he was using a double edge razor (probably a Gillette) and applying this soapy stuff all over his face with the brush. I thought to myself, “when I get old enough to shave, I‘m going to shave like that”.
Let’s fast forward to 1965. What was previously peach fuzz had actually turned into whiskers, so orders from my mom were to “shave that stuff off”. I was 13 years old so my dad had to drive me down to the Thrifty Drug store (remember them?) so I could purchase my first razor. I remember walking down the aisle that had the shaving gear and marveling at the selection. Basically, it was pretty much Schick or Gillette, in different styles, sizes, prices, and colors. I asked my dad which one I should pick and he pointed out the Schick Injector (that’s what he used) because it was going to be easier to learn with. The Gillette, he pointed out, was good too, but you’d have to learn how to use it. I reached into my pocket for the money that I had earned from doing yard work for the neighbors and discovered that I was one dollar short if I wanted to get both razors and some shaving cream. My dad saw the dilemma I was in and said “since this is your first razor, I’ll buy you one of them, you pay for the other”. We also picked up a jar of Burma Shave. I was grinning ear to ear on the ride home; I was finally a man!
A short time later, I mastered the DE to the point that I wasn’t getting nicked or cut, and the Schick was a piece of cake. You have to remember, these razors were the only thing available at the time, save for a straight razor and electric shaver. In retrospect, that was probably a good thing because you really didn’t pick up bad or lazy habits. You learned how to prep your face, work in the lather or cream, and hold and use the razor properly.
As the years went by, the ads and promo crap from Schick and Gillette were on TV, in magazines, etc., geared towards convenience. If I remember right, Bic was the first (?) one to come along with the throw away plastic. Little by little, the selection of both razors and blades for the Injector and DE began to dwindle, I’m sure, due to the increased sales of all the plastic throw aways. Like the damn fool that I am, I fell for it too. I could shave a little quicker and didn’t have to shop all over to try and find my favorite blades for the Injector or DE, because they were getting harder to find.
About maybe 12 years ago I got really tired of the sometimes good, but mostly mediocre shaves with the plastic crap. As luck would have it, I happen to be going through some old boxes that I had stored in the closet, and bless Moses, there it was. The box that I had put away containing all my “old” shaving gear. When I opened it, it brought back memories of my dad, now long gone, and my uncles; there’re gone too. I thought about Williams Mug Soap and Old Spice. It brought back memories of old barber shops that I went to that are no longer there. Not only was the first razor that I bought still in there, but also the first mug, marked “OPAL NO. 4 WILLIAM MARVY CO. ST PAUL MINN. The first brush too; Erskine made in USA. A nice selection of Schick Injectors and DE Gillette razors, some of them brand new and still in their wrapping. (between my dad and mom, I had 7 uncles; when most of them found out that I was shaving, they bought me razors as a present) Luckily, at the time, I had a good supply of blades for both razors in the box as well, because before I stored all the gear away, I stocked up when I had the chance.
I thought to myself, how in the hell did it all come to this? Here I was, perfectly happy with the shaves that I was getting since I was 13, and I gave it all up for convenience? How dumb can you get?
So, I started all over again. And yup, the first time I used the DE I nicked myself-twice. If I remember right, I got a little burn out of it too. I remember I laughed. Could I really have gotten so lazy and sloppy with my technique for the sake of convenience? The styptic pencil told me I did.
Since then, I’ve never looked back. I love the DE and the Injector both, though I use the DE more because of the blade availability. I still have some packs of Schick, made in the USA blades. Maybe tomorrow I’ll break them out and use the old G model. I think my dad would have liked that.
Thanks for reading this and going down memory lane with me;
Best,
David
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

I enjoyed that! How neat it would be to rummage through my own things and find a brand new Gillette DE in there!
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
Oldsmoothie

Post by Oldsmoothie »

David,

Lovely memories. Thanks for sharing them and what a great find in your closet. All those pristine razors. Very Envious. :)
David

The Earth is a school and the Human Race is still in Kindergarten.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

David,

Great story. My own experience with early shaving is very similar to yours. It was my uncle who I saw wet shaving and not my dad. He was an electric guy. It was my uncle who took me to get my first razor and he bought it for me. Like you I got carried up in the incessant advertising for speed and all the better shaves with the multi blade razors.

Then last January I found that I could still get DE shaving stuff and away I went back to the way I had done it originally. Unfortunately all my original razors and brush and mug are gone. Who knows where but they are gone.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Thanks for letting us share that story with you, a great package of memories.

Good shaving,
Good shaving,

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Few things can lift the spirit like an uplifting wet-shaver story like this. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Good story...

Enjoyed it...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

How many of us of a certain age have the same story? I do. :D
Jim
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Great story - thanks.

I remember my dad shaving with a Gillette slim twist with the white handle, and a shave stick with a red plastic base (like the Erasmic stick). I also remember a techmatic at one point. Amazing the things that are stored in the back of one's mind.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

The opening post reads like a passage from Gordon's memoirs.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah yes....my memoirs.....really do need to get back to work on those. Perhaps I should join dear Mr. Bargepole at that Greek Isle retreat that he keeps for writing....I'm certain he'd love that ( chuckle ).

David, A well done piece, and probably a very common tale ( minus your happy ending ). For whatever reason, I never bought into the whole disposible/multi-blade cartridge trip ( I don't watch a lot of TV and am unusually impervious to most forms of advertising.....then too, in the '70s DE blades were still cheap as well as excellent, and I was chronically broke...chuckle ). Not to say that I didn't try them; I tried almost all of them at one point or another, but always went quickly back to my old original Gillette adjustable because it gave me a better shave and didn't cause me razor bumps and other grief. Yes, the Bic was the first disposible, and it's still the best IMO, being only a single blade at least. Thanks for taking the time to share your shaving 'story' with us.
Regards,
Gordon