Do you sometimes shave for the sake of it?...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Martin

Do you sometimes shave for the sake of it?...

Post by Martin »

I shave every two days(theres more stubble then for the razor to cut), yet sometimes I want a shave the following day if I need to look clean shaven etc.

Im thinking, if I shave the day after a shave when theres not as much stubble, I may harm my skin, could it be too soon and too harsh ie razor burn etc? even with proper preparation, there may not be enough stubble for the razor to "get hold of"???. Anyone else experienced a similar issue?.

Thanks again

Martin.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I don't think the whisker length is as much an issue as the number of passes you can do with a razor with whatever your setup is.
I have no problem shaving twice in a day if needed but could not do it on a daily basis as skin thinning would result for sure.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
UsherLincoln

Post by UsherLincoln »

GollyMrScience wrote:I don't think the whisker length is as much an issue as the number of passes you can do with a razor with whatever your setup is.
Personally, I think whisker length plays a larger part than a good deal of other factors. If you have more to cut, you're doing to have a different shave from a shave with less to cut.

Consider it like a tree - you can easily cut down a sapling with just a pair of garden shears, but you need an axe to cut down a large oak.
-Lincoln

"Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee..."
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i shave twice a day sometimes. some here do that everyday.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Every shave is just for the sake of it - otherwise I'd have to say a beard is easier.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

LOL - Well said good Doctor well said!
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Haine

Post by Haine »

I've come to the impression, twice a week is as often as I can do it.

I tried to do a ATG, XTG,XTG pass two dayts after a shave, and I just frankly butchered everything. I mauled my cheeks, which I never have a problem with normally.

I don't see many people shaving "for the hell of it" unless their the type who's skin can withstand shaving twice a day, or every day.
Regards, Lionel
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I shave every day (just once). I could skip Saturdays, but shave anyway as I enjoy it. In fact, that is often the day I do my longest, 4-pass shave to get that BBS feel. I could go to twice a day, but I couldn't go ATG if I did that and don't view the trade-off as worth it.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
ajsaxs

Daily Shave

Post by ajsaxs »

I shave each morning Monday - Saturday.

Sundays... sometimes.

I could never do this with multi-blade razors.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

how often one shaves is a matter of how ones beard is

a heavy bread needs shaved more often then a lighter beard

and of course some need to shave on a daily basis because they need there appearance at their best for there job etc etc

for me i must be clean shaved for my job i could never skip a day that i have to work also i have a heavy beard so a daily shave is easier and keeps me comfortable

it is nice so take a day off here and there to let the skin rest and relax and after a skipped day it feels so good and the shave seems to be a tad closer than ever

some members shave twice a day because there beard grows that fast

it is all about you and your needs

my dad told me as a kid once you start shaving youll hate it
i dont hate it but it is a daily chore thats way i enjoy haveing many soaps and creams, different razors and brushes to keep it interesting

marc
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Since taking up the DE and relearning how to wet shave correctly I now shave every day, and really enjoy the routine and results. I have on occasion shaved twice and find no trouble what so ever.

Prior to that while still using cartridges (Fusions were the last ones) I couldn't wait for a day off to let my face mend and usually skipped shaving on Saturday or Sunday and sometime both.

Today it takes me a bit longer every day, and I shave every day, but the results are worth the effort and time.
Good shaving,

Gary
shavedhead

Re: Do you sometimes shave for the sake of it?...

Post by shavedhead »

Martin wrote:I shave every two days(theres more stubble then for the razor to cut), yet sometimes I want a shave the following day if I need to look clean shaven etc.

Im thinking, if I shave the day after a shave when theres not as much stubble, I may harm my skin, could it be too soon and too harsh ie razor burn etc? even with proper preparation, there may not be enough stubble for the razor to "get hold of"???. Anyone else experienced a similar issue?.

Thanks again

Martin.
I feel the same way. I would shave every other day for skin sakes but I am addicted to my vision so daily shaving is a norm; you get better results as well but skipping a day makes for a better shave
Have a wonderful shaving day
pj_rage

Post by pj_rage »

I shave every day (WTG/XTG/ATG), but more because I'm so addicted to shaving right now that I don't want to stop! Once I perfect my technique, and try every possible soap/cream/brush/razor that I want to, I may slow down. It's not clear yet how many decades this will take.

Realistically, I probably could shave just every other day and be fine for my beard growth. If I shave one morning, by the next, there's really very very little visible growth, but I can feel it (not BBS anymore). When I shave it, I can see the little specks of hair in the lather/water.

I definitely could never shave so often with a cartridge razor (M3 or fusion). I could only shave every 3 or 4 days max if I wanted to avoid ridiculous irritation.

I'm getting comfortable shaves every day now, but if I wait a couple days to shave, I get a the most comfortable shaves. If I wait 2-3 days or so, I can literally do whatever I want to my face and get zero irritation. When shaving every day I have to be very careful about my blade angle and pressure or I get some irritation.

I'm still working out what would be a reasonable schedule to maintain comfortable irritation free shaves. This past week I shaved 6 days in a row, but on the 7th day, yesterday, my face was telling me "please don't shave me today." But I couldn't resist. And today, my face pleaded again, but in a more convincing tone, so I just did a WTG/XTG pass, not trying for BBS. I'll see what the face tells me tomorrow, but I suspect it might be the same as today. If so, I probably won't shave, and take a day off. I think my schedule needs to be a 6 on, 1 off type thing.
ateace

Post by ateace »

Martin - The only way you'll know how your face will handle a shave two days in a row is to try it. It may not be the best at first, but you have to allow your face to adjust to the routine as well. It may be advisable to try it occasionally for now and, if you feel comfortable, try doing it more often.
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Sunday's a must for church.
Monday - Friday is a "should" for work, so I do.
Saturday's 'cause I want to!

Once a day, every day, three passes. Twice a day, I think, would just be too much for my face to take.
Take care and God bless,
Steve
Norsk

Post by Norsk »

I shave once a day, everyday, except maybe on camping trips. Usually take a shaving kit along camping, but generally don't shave. It is cool (literally) to shave alongside a creek. I like polluting the waters with ARKO lather.

Monday thru Saturday I shave every morning. Usually 2 passes, WTG & XTG. Sunday morning is 3 passes and touch up while striving for a bbs, or at least a very nice close shave.
Best Regards, Terry
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I shave mostly for the sake of it, I think. Because facial hair is a sign of weakness.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Martin

Post by Martin »

weakness???
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Somewhere along the line, some misguided fools have occasionally associated having a beard with being manly. A hideous error. A beard, or any facial hair at all, is a sign of weakness – fear of shaving. He who takes the blade to his entire face can call himself a man.

The full beard would be the worst offender. Walker Texas Ranger – wuss of the highest order. Afraid of a little razor there Chuck? Covering up a weak jawline? Hiding behind something?

As to the other facial hair “styles”, each one simply covers up a weakness in shaving technique.

Sideburns – no doubt developed during the straight edge razor era, from “men” being afraid of slicing off an ear. Was Van Gogh any less of a man after he sliced off his ear? (That’s a rhetorical question, be quiet.) We have two ears so we can live life if we lose one (or something about being able to locate sounds).

Moustache – for men who have nicked their nostrils one time too many. David Niven pencil moustache? Obviously the arrogance of a man who was afraid to shave his upper lip, and then learned how and wants to tell the world. Hitler style? A huge admission of shave inadequacy – a man so afraid of shaving under his nose, and yet too afraid to admit total failure by growing the rest of the tache.

Goatee – many of us have our toughest stubble right around the goatee area. Do we give up and let it grow? No we don’t, we improve our technique.

Lip warmer/soul patch/flavour saver – too scared to shave around the lips, Mr. Zappa? Surely you have all day to shave, why not practice? The mud sharks will be there tomorrow.

Chinstrap – the entire jawline poses a problem for the hapless chinstrap wearer. “Oh my, there’s a transition between the upper and lower parts of my face. I’ll never get that shaved, may as well hair over it.”

Manly men shave - Nat Lofthouse, Sam Allardyce, John McGinlay, Gary Megson(!) - the list goes on.

Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Aye, aye, aye, Dominic! According to that theory the man with a small moustache is more manly than he of the big moustache ie Adolf was more masculine than Uncle Joe. Not convincing? Bicyclist and swimmers, both famous for whole-body shaving, are more manly than mountain men. Still not enough? A recently departed member was frequently to be found announcing that he shaved all over (as did his famous girlfriend); are both of them more many than yourself? I think I can rest my case there. :lol:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace