What is the most classic scent in shaving?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
yayavarman

What is the most classic scent in shaving?

Post by yayavarman »

What is considered to be the most classic scent in shaving? The scent of the period of 1800-1900.

Excuse the extremely short post. I didnt know what else to put in here
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

An interesting question - my guess would be something like Lavender, Rose or Sandalwood. But if we take a hint from some of the older colognes of the day 4711, C&M No. 6, Bay Rum and Florida Water you see some citrus and spice.

Look forward to seeing what our elder "noses" come up with for this good question.
Last edited by gsgo on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good shaving,

Gary
teabag

Post by teabag »

Rose perhaps? Trumpers claim their rose shave cream/soap has been around for 130 years or so.

Regards,

Phil.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

This is yet another one of those questions for which there is no definitive answer, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd go with almond, which seems to be common among many of the old British and Italian firms.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I guess we don't want to get confused by the difference between oldest and most classic. Also are we talking a constructed "scent" as in combination of ingredients designed for an olfactory impact or just an on purpose applied single scent like rose or lavender?
Guys have been slathering themselves with some scent or another after shaving for a VERY long time. I am sure that by the time of the Pharaohs there were already ungents and rinses meant for shaving that were pretty sophisticated for their day.
So to me a classic scent would be one that has been around for a long time and is still popular - never having gone out of style rather than a scent used in medieval times that has historical interest to us shaving nerds perhaps but has not stood the test of time.
We could certainly pick some popular so called single scents that would have paralleled the perfume industry - rose, lavender, sandalwood, and almond for instance either as single scents or in combination.
Funny though - if I drop back to my definition of a scent that has been and remains popular after many years and not a single base scent but a constructed complex offering my mind pops to ***get this**** Tabac and Old Spice. LOL
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Zach

Post by Zach »

I'm with Tom on this one; for me it's the 'smell of the barbershop'
Inclusive of talc, hair tonic, the Lustray spice (by the gallon!)

The smells of your youth, the first smells you recall, they are the strongest
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I concur with Ren in that no simple and definative answer can be given to your question. We do, however, have some pertinent information. All of the oldest English shave cream pot lids that I have seen have been in 'Ambrosia' scent. Ambrosia was understood to mean variations of 'almond'....however various firms chose to interpret that. Violet and lavender begin showing up a bit later in the 19th c. We also know that Lavender Water and 4711 style eau de colognes and various eau de Portugals, and similiar, were popular in London society during much of the 19th c. as were earlier versions of Spanish and Russian leather. These scented waters were primarily used in barber shops and gentlemen's clubs. Bay Rum was another Victorian era staple in these establishments, but it seems to have been an American scent originally which the British, and in particular, the Royal Navy, picked up. Rose seems to have been originally used primarily in hair dressings. The orginal Atkinson's product was a bear grease based hair pomade which was rose scented. It first appeared around 1800 in England and was later exported to the United States as well. So, these are some of the gentlemen's scents that were often utilized in various grooming products during the period that you specified.
Regards,
Gordon
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Nineteenth Century on into the Twentieth? Bay rum would be a good choice. Bay rum or witch hazel, perhaps. Of course, our European and British bretheren might demur, but it was they who carried bay rum back home from the Caribbean.

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm onto a potentially lucrative sideline as a result of reading Gordon's information. I'm getting a formula together for some Rose Bear Grease Hair Pomade. I'm making it available for pre-ordering here, to all of you who will certainly pounce on it. Pricing and pre-ordering details to follow. Those certainly sound like they were indeed the good old days.

Seriously, it's fun to try to imagine what tastes and smells would have been available and popular many years ago.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll buy some if the bear was killed with your own bare hands!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

On my list, that is one of the first things I've written. I'll have to get back to you on that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ELJAY

Post by ELJAY »

I can only think of 4711.

Eljay
ELJAY

"...take a sharp sword and use it as a barber's razor to shave...your beard."
Ezekiel 5:1
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

For me it's two scents - Old Spice and Sandalwood. ymmv
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, He said, "1800-1900", Old Spice did not come out until the 1930s, and the first version was actually marketed as a ladies cologne (!). I also find little evidence that sandalwood was used much in men's grooming products during that period It's interesting to note that the three older Trumper shave creams are their Almond, Violet, and Rose. The other three didn't even appear until the 1980s.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buzz, Although the information is scanty and vague, while bay rum might have it's ultimate origins in the West Indies, as a product resembling anything available today I think it was first created in the United States.
Regards,
Gordon
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Gordon,

Quick question for you, what is the origin and timing of Sandalwood emerging into men's toiletries?

I am surprised about almond being used that far back.

Cheers,
Good shaving,

Gary
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

bernards66 wrote:Buzz, Although the information is scanty and vague, while bay rum might have it's ultimate origins in the West Indies, as a product resembling anything available today I think it was first created in the United States.
Regards,
Gordon
You are quite possibly right, Gordon, as usual. I always assumed that bay rum was made from a West Indian pimenta bay tree, but that was only my assumption based upon one course in the geography of the exploration era Caribbean taken many, many years ago.

Buzz
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buzz, Indeed, pimenta bay from the West Indies is the central note in bay rum, and while some sort of rather primitive product utilizing it seems to have been used in the Islands pretty far back, the blending of it with other scents to create barber's products; hair lotions, aftershaves, and cologne waters, seems to have it's origins in America. I've seen references to it in literature from the first half of the 19th c. both from your area and from New Orleans. Many years ago, the D R Harris's version was actually called 'American Bay Rum'.....and Harris's has been in the business for awhile ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Well, that's an awfully complex and murky question. Sandalwood, as a wood, has been used for centuries for scent, even in the West. Beau Brummel wanted a sedan chair made entirely out of it, but was reluctantly given to understand that it could not be used as it wouldn't bear the weight. He settled for having the inside of the compartment mostly paneled with it. But it's use in men's toiletries doesn't seem to have been common, at least not in England and America. During the 1700s, when lusher scents were in style, it may have been used some....I'm not certain. Jasmine was, certainly. But lighter scents came in with the Napoleonic period. Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet was created in 1872 and sandalwood is a significent aspect of it's basenote....but it's not a 'sandalwood cologne'. During the Victorian and Edwardian periods, musk seems to have been the most popular fixative for men's scents. I've certainly never seen a 19th or early 20th c. shave cream pot lid that said 'sandalwood' on it. Most of the really old hard shave soaps that are still around seem to be mostly lavender/citrus/verbena/'quinine' sorts of affairs ( and the rose and violet St. James's stuff, of course ). Even as late as the 1990s, T&H shave creams were available in Almond, Rose, and Lavender only. So, I don't think that noticeable 'sandalwood' style notes were used that much in men's colognes until the 1950s, and in traditional shave products until considerably later than that even.
Regards,
Gordon
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I guess I keep getting sucked into a eurocentric world with the question.
We of course lean towards talking about classic soaps etc from France, England etc but men (and women) in other parts of the civilized world liked to smell nice and had to shave. Its just that we didn't get to hear much about it.
Sandalwood for instance may have been way more popular in the middle east than in Europe in the time frame we are discussing. In the time of Marco Polo I am sure that some of these scents would have been introduced as "exotic".
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"