Intro (Ohio/Ontario barbers services/supplies) UPDATED!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
zeeshan66

Intro (Ohio/Ontario barbers services/supplies) UPDATED!

Post by zeeshan66 »

Greetings!

After stumbling across a few vids on youtube, i've completely been engulfed in this world of shaving. I’m currently working on purchasing various materials for my first proper wetshave as we speak.
I have learned a lot from the members on this site already! Now to my question.

Can anyone here recommend the best place to get a pampering all inclusive shave in..AND where i can find good supply stores in either locations? I'm looking for more than somewhere that'll simply slap some warmish foam on your face and take a straight razor and have at it...

1) Dublin/Columbus Ohio
2) Toronto Ontario (Canada) and the GTA

Thanks
Zee
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Here is a provisional list for Ohio/Toronto. I gathered off of other various sites and forums.

(I will do my best to update as frequently as possible, hopefully our friends in either location can keep us posted on new places as well as those who have closed down)

***OHIO***
Columbus Barber & Beauty
click: www.columbusbarberandbeauty.com
Barber and Beauty Supplies
962 North High Street, (614) 299-4000

***TORONTO*** and the GTA
(Barber Services)
http://www.truefittandhill.ca/services/index.html - Toronto
http://www.terminalbarbershop.com/?p=1 – Toronto

(Supplies)
Sherway Gardens, West Mall & Queensway, Etobicoke: Crabtree & Evelyn: + L'Occitane En Provence, and a mens' shoppe beside the C&E whose name I didn't get but sells Art of Shaving supplies

Toronto Barber Supplies: Toronto: Corner of Bay and Dundas. The famous J.M. Fraser shaving cream, some modern straights, strops, Merkur DEs, and some Arkansas stones for the honing connoisseur

Personal Edge: Eaton Centre, Toronto and Hillcrest Mall, Richmond Hill: Merkur DEs and blades, modern straight razors, strops

T and L Drug Store, corner of Rhodes and Gerrard St. E.: The wonderfully long and heavy Ship DE razor, German Wilkinson DE blades, Proraso Green, something called "English Lather"

Lee Valley: Norton Water Stones as listed in the Lynn Abrams video for the straight edge guy or gal who wants to hone their own

Tabacco Haven Atrium: Bay at Bay and Dundas. almost everything one can think of including lots of creams, soaps, brushes, a few straight razors and a few Merkurs.

Soapscope: 297 Roncesvalles Avenue, south of Howard Park, offers handmade products including shaving creams, moisturizers, and of course soaps made right on the premises with natural ingredients. 416.588.8621 www.soapscope.com

Holt Renfrew : If anyone is looking for Art of Shaving products,
50 Bloor Street West and Yorkdale Mall.

The Big Carrot: (348 Danforth Avenue) has Alba, Kiss My Face, Tom's of Maine, and a whole bunch of expensive shaving products that made my eyes glaze over when I looked at their price tag. They even sell the excellent shampoo bar that gets mislabelled as "shaving soap", Herban Cowboy.

Whole Foods market: on Avenue Rd., (close to Bloor) sells Kiss my Face, Herban Cowboy, Thayers witch hazel, and some other misc. organic type shave stuff.

Highland Farms grocery: on Dufferin, between Steeles and Finch, and found not only the Proraso creams, but also Omega, and Florena creams. Omega boar brushes, and some other misc. Proraso shave products. All for quite reasonable prices.

Toronto Barber Supplies also has a location on Orfus in North York.

Cigar Studio (4 Willingdon Blvd., www.cigarstudio.com) has a small selection of shaving things along with the usual tobacco suspects, including the first Muehle Pinsel brushes I've seen on sale in Toronto.

Stillwater spa at the Park Hyatt (4 Avenue Road) willl have ê Shave products available. The Men's Power Spa located at 14 Duncan Street already carries ê Shave products.

C&E in the Pen Centre, St. Catharines, has some Kent Brushes

Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply: on Mavis Rd in Mississauga

Personal Edge: stores stock Merkur. The bigger the store, the more chance of finding a little inventory.

Gotstyle Menswear: at 489 King St W has a 2 chair barbershop exclusively with The Art of Shaving products.

Statesman & Sleuth: (or is it Sleuth & Statesman) in the Exchange Tower,

First Canadian Place in Toronto; they carry some high-end products

The Added Touch in Oakville carries Kent hairbrushes and combs

Enchante perfumery at Erin Mills Town centre Tabac products

http://www.noorboutique.com/

http://www.fendrihan.com/

Pure Home Couture: in Hamilton, ON stocks Diptique fragrances, including Tam Dao!
Last edited by zeeshan66 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ren will know best about this, but from Mississauga I would think you would do best to go downtown to Scotia Plaza and visit T&H.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Welcome Zee,

The Truefitt & Hill location Chris mentions is probably the nicest barbershop in Toronto, but that won't necessarily guarantee you'll get a competent shave from one of the barbers there. Other locations you might consider are the Terminal Barbershop at Bay/Dundas (near TBBS and Tobacco Haven where you can pick up supplies) and The Forest Hill Barbershop (408 Spadina Rd) which has been in operation in Forest Hill Village for several decades.

In Mississsauga, The Barber's Chair is a nice shop, located in the lower level of Square One Shopping Center. Ask for Joe. There you can also find some shaving supplies, including some stuff from Trumpers, albeit at full retail prices.

Whenever you're in Columbus, Ohio, you might want to take a drive to Canal Winchester, and visit the Ed Jeffers Museum, assuming it's still open. From the website, it would seem like a Mecca for any wet shaving aficionado.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF Zee!
Regards,
David
teabag

Post by teabag »

Welcome Zee.
Regards,

Phil.

Carpe Diem - Sieze the Day
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat - Fortune favours the brave
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Zee, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Hi Zee, hope you really enjoy that first shave!
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Zee! Is that Trinidad the "Country"?
Regards,
Andy
mmortus

Post by mmortus »

Welcome to SMF Zee!!!
Regards,
Matt
brothers

Post by brothers »

Welcome aboard! You've hit the mother lode of useful information. Please let us keep hearing from you about any and everything shave-related. I'm anxious to hear if you happen to venture to any of the above, and how the shave and the shopping for supplies turns out!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Greetings Zee!
Take care and God bless,
Steve
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF.

In Mississauga area, Fendrihan has a location at 2 Hanover Rd, # 310
in Brampton. Their tel # is 905-696-9997, email is sales@fendrihan.com. Not sure if it's B&M, but worth a phone call if you are in the area.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
zeeshan66

Post by zeeshan66 »

Thank you all for such a warm welcome. For those who are curious I actually stumbled across “mantic59’s” blog and youtube videos and couldn’t help but be completely mesmerized by this world. So far from surfing these boards I’ve really began learning more and more. I am however in the Caribbean until the end of may (currently attending law school), asoon as I return states side I will be venturing out on a buying frenzy! As OCD as it sounds I’ve already made a list of supplies I will be looking for and now I’m working on finding some shops that sell and provide these services…look what you guys have made me become! hahaha

Big Ren/drmoss_ca – T&H seems a little on the high side however after reading up a bit on them their definitely worth a try. Funny enough I worked right around the corner from there in the TD building on Wellington.

- The Barber's Chair is a lot closer to me so I’ll probably try them out first!
Question: Do I need to book ahead of time for a hot later shave?

Druphus – yes Trinidad and Tobago the country…didn’t wana take up the entire box for just that name hahaha are you familiar with T&T?

Jww – they come highly recommended I will have to see them for sure

Lastly, I’m not sure if I should start another thread or just let people add on to here but I will try to update the barbers and supply places in Ohio?toronto...until we get a proper registry of locations for shaves/supplies approved by mods.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

zeeshan66 wrote:The Barber's Chair is a lot closer to me so I’ll probably try them out first!
Question: Do I need to book ahead of time for a hot later shave?
While they probably take walk-ins, it's probably best to make an appointment ahead of time.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
kingprophet

Post by kingprophet »

I've been to the Barber's Chair in Fairview Mall in North York, and had the pleasure of being shaved by the owner of the chain...I just can't remember his name right now, but it was a very relaxing very comfortable shave. If I recall, he uses Gillette blades from Walmart, an Omega brush with long bristles and a big silver handle, JM Fraser shave cream, Proraso pre/post, an alum bloc, and some AS of some sort to finish it off. Well worth the $20.
You may want to call in advance to make sure that someone is there to shave you, because I don't think they are all equally skilled.
-David
zeeshan66

Post by zeeshan66 »

i will keep both suggestions in mind thanks guys!

do you think i should make a separate thread for the stores and barber shops? wouldn't want anyone missin this great info
Natslove

Post by Natslove »

No one has mentioned it but there is a store on bloor and Bathurst in toronto Called "Outer Layer". It's a cool hip store that has a nice Shaving corner with Pré de Provence Shaving Soap, D. R. Harris Lavender, Cawell-Massey, and some other nice things.
kingprophet

Post by kingprophet »

I've never heard of that place before. How's the staff there? I checked out the website and it seems kinda hippy-ish...
-David
zeeshan66

Post by zeeshan66 »

http://www.outerlayer.com/

they've got two locations i'll add it to the list thanks
Natslove

Post by Natslove »

Um... "outer layer" is more girlie than "hippy". And the staff is, when I have been, 20 year old girls.