Individual differences re: aftershave

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.

How do you stand on alcohol-based aftershaves?

Can't use them; use a balm instead.
9%
Can't use them; don't use any aftershave.
1%
Use them daily
47%
Use them occasionally
35%
Other (please explain)
8%

Total votes: 75

Chap

Post by Chap »

I use Limes skin food. Applied to a wet face with a good deal of massage, it melts to nothing in less than 30 seconds, leaving a smooth, zingy feeling face, calming in the extreme.

95%, I have used it as preshave a few times, it did make a little difference, but am not sure that I like putting xanthum gum in my shaving brush, so try and avoid it. I reccomend you try it by stopping your normal routine for a couple of days and just using the skin food, a little goes a long way. For whats its worth, Trumpers also say it can be used as a preshave.
95%

Post by 95% »

Well, I've just finished my SOTD. I applied Trumper's Extract of Limes Skin Food after washing my face and left it there for a couple of minutes while I made my lather. I rinsed it off before lathering. Can't say it made any difference in the shave.

Then I used it as an aftershave. It's very nice, but indistinguishable in viscosity from the CF and Musgo "balms", and the TOBS "gel", that I've been using. In my book, therefore, Trumper's skin food IS a balm.
Porter
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

I'm more or less like Gordon, with the exception that I need to chase my Pink (or Poor Man's Pink) with some sort of moisturizer--usually rosehip seed oil.

My skin is quite dry and I live in Arizona, so balms are inadequate for moisture. But combined with a moisturizer, it's just too much. So I favor Poor Man's Pink + moisturizer--Poor Man's Pink is just so soothing and cheap and it doesn't interfere with the moisturizer.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I went with other which I will now please explain. I've never tried an alcohol based after shave splash/balm.

When I started shaving I was irritating my face enough that pure Aloe Vera would probably have stung, so I decided not to chance the real sting of the alcohol balms. I found a couple I like, and haven't branched out since.

(Unless Lucky Tiger or Skin Food have alcohol? I don't think they do.)
Last edited by ichabod on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Personally, I would classify Trumpers Skin Food, along with the old Harris's Milk, as 'other'. To me, these products are not balms. They are much thiner in consistancy than stuff like, say, T&H A/S Balm, and absorb much more readily. To me, they are members of that middle catagory; the light weight 'skin soothers'. Lucky Tiger also.
Regards,
Gordon
sebell

Post by sebell »

If I use anything it's Thayer's Non-Alcohol Toner
(Witch Hazel based, with Aloe). I've gone through
a bottle of Lavender, Rose, and I'm on Regular at
the moment.

I've tried just about everything out there, but for
price and performance I like Thayer's.

- Scott
houlejames

Post by houlejames »

Use Thayers Rose Witch Hazel daily and often use Pinaud AS after.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I use them occasionally. It depends on when I shave. When I shave in the evening I prefer a balm or the intermerdiates such as Lucky Tiger or 'Pink'.
Eric
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I won't shave without aftershave.

I like to feel the numbing antiseptic sting after a shave.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like the burn.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I'm a head shaver and can't take strong alcohol splashes without added moisturizers on my head. If it was just my face, I'd use them most of the time. As I prefer to use one product for my face and head, I've taken to TSD splashes which have just the right level of moisture that I don't dry out my head or get an oily face.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I use aftershave every day without fail; if I don't my face feels itchy and grungy.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like the variety, and I am a fan of the sensation of rediscovering one of the products that I've been putting aside for a while, then finding it again and being impressed with it all over again. Variety is truly the spice of life.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444