Shaving after a shower vs. no shower

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
95%

Post by 95% »

Squire wrote:Technique Porter, that and I don't have sensitive skin.
Plus you're not aiming for a BBS, as you once indicated when you said, quotably, "a good shave is good enough."
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes I do Porter but that happens without trying. The reason I don't recommend bbs for new shavers is I don't want them to beat up their faces by trying too hard. Develop the technique and the rest follows.
Regards,
Squire
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

I could probably shave before showering since my technique is so much better than when I first started wetshaving. Nonetheless, considering how bad my razor bumps can be, I wouldn't chance it. I always shower before I shave - without fail. Also, I go for BBS every shave and I don't want to force the issue on skin that hasn't been properly softened.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Sure, the sensitivity, or lack thereof, of the shaver's skin is another significent factor. We've talked about how you can use multi-blades without a problem, but I can not. I also can not use some of the blades that Squire finds to be perfectly okay, nor could I get away with shaving the way I do twice a day. Fortunately, like you, I don't have to...there just wouldn't be much to shave in the evening.
Regards,
Gordon
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

My best shaves tend to come at the end of my shower, while still in the shower, the steam and letting the shaving cream have time to soften up beard seems to really help.
Joey
95%

Post by 95% »

Gordon, I do use the Fusion cartridge, but judiciously and with respect for the power of the blades, just like you fellows with your DE's. It's hard to cut oneself but easy to remove too much skin. Especially on the third pass, which is ATG in my case, I'm very careful.

I'm also increasingly aware of the subtle differences among soaps and creams, just as you are. It's not about aesthetics but comfort. Some creams, like the Trumper's Limes which I tried from a new tube this morning, not only can give a close shave but, more importantly, leave the face feeling moisturized, soft, and healthy, while others, like my Trumper's Rose and Violet samples, are less satisfactory.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Yeah, we're into all this on a pretty subtle level....which is the 'hobby' aspect. And although that tired 'YMMV' thing can be overused, or tossed in there to cover ignorance or other sins, still, there is a lot of truth to it. Shaving ATG with a Fusion would absolutely trash my skin, but you, if you're careful, can get away with it. A difference in beard and in skin sensitivity....got to be since we both use similiar products and procedures. This is at least part of the reason that we usually get such disparate reports on various DE blades....even when they're used in the same razor. I continue to play around with the Trumper creaams. Some days I think there is no real difference other than the scents, and some days I do ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Chap

Post by Chap »

On the trumper issue, at least for the soap, i am 100% sure they have different lather properties, my sandalwood lather is in a different league of slickness and lubricity to my almond.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Subtleties G, hell, I'm into the microscopic aspects.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

Squire wrote:Subtleties G, hell, I'm into the microscopic aspects.
We guys are obsessive like that in all our hobbies. Women much less so, because they don't have hobbies. While we're delving into the microscopic details of our hobbies, they keep their eyes on the prize - conquering US.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ummm.....that's too heavy for me, Porter.....well, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the back bathroom...some of my DEs could use a gentle scrub....
Regards,
Gordon
houlejames

Post by houlejames »

As long as I soak my face with a hot towel a shower isn't necessary.