Shaving after a shower vs. no shower

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
lightupmyroom

Shaving after a shower vs. no shower

Post by lightupmyroom »

This is an extension of my prep routine question. I have never tried wet shaving without showering first, but there are times when I'd rather just shave. I understand that soaking the beard area for at least 3 minutes is important, but can the same results be obtained at the sink? Does showering before a shave have added benefits, such as more exposure to water from earlier during the shower and possibly steam from the hot water?
Last edited by lightupmyroom on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Picking up on my response to your last posting . . .

IMO, there is no special magic at all about showering. It's just a convenient first step in the hydrating process. You most certainly can achieve hydration at the sink, or in a steam room, or by sticking your head in a bucket of hot water, or whatever.

Some men find that the lathering process itself provides sufficient hydration, but I myself seem to do better with a few minutes of how water exposure pre-lathering.

In any case, though I do generally shower first, it's merely a means to the end of hydration. It's not an end in and of itself.
freimaurer

Post by freimaurer »

I have shaved many times in the evening without showering. I think you hit the spot by giving yourself three minutes to soak before.
Greg
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I agree that a shower isn't essential. The three minute rule is good. It even works for me to face lather for a full minute and let the lather soak in for two minutes. I don't do that often, but it works when I do.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I usually shave after a shower, but it's just a matter of convenience and established routine. Occasionally, I don't have time, skip the shower, and the shave is generally just as good. And I don't soak my beard for three minutes either. I just do my usual splashes of warm water on my face and start lathering.
Regards,
Gordon
colinmono

Post by colinmono »

My no shower routine is:

Splash face with warm water
Lather up, massage lather into beard with fingers
Splash face with warm water again
Lather up again
Shave

My logic is that this is similar to a barber's routine of lather, hot towels, relather and shave. The idea is that the initial lathering / massage step should help remove natural oils from the hair, in turn allowing the hair to absorb more water.

In the past I have tried lathering followed by a hot towel / washcloth a few times. The method described above works just as well for me, is quicker and avoids faffing about with hot towels.
Colin.
IanM

Post by IanM »

If I don't shower I do the following, and it works just as well as showering for me.

Splash face with warm water 15 times making sure that it's thoroughly wet
Wash face with soap and water
Rinse face by splashing another 15 times
With face still dripping wet, prepare lather and apply
Shave 1st pass
Rinse with warm water - 2 or 3 splashes
Apply lather
Shave 2nd pass and touch up

I suspect that the first 3 steps keep the beard wet for 2-3 minutes.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I find that splashing my face with hot water and/or holding a hot washrag over my face for about 60 seconds prior to shaving, along with allowing my lather to soak in a little longer than usual, provides a shave indistinguishable from one performed after a hot shower.
Jim
drumana

Post by drumana »

I always shave post shower, but a while back, as an experiment, I shaved before my shower for about a week. No noticeable difference, really...
-Andrew-
ateace

Post by ateace »

My routine is to shave in the shower.

No shower, no shave!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

If I need to shower; I do it after the shave. It stops the weepers. I do not have to worry about the fogged up mirror.
Ed
yayavarman

Post by yayavarman »

I know from experiences that shaving during the shower gives me the best results hands down.

But for the sake of staying true to shaving I shave above the sink now. Sometimes after showering sometimes without it. I do make sure I wet my face and massage the lather thoroughly on my face. Thats why I am a big fan of face lathering. It reduces the need for an extra bowl too.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

bernards66 wrote:I usually shave after a shower, but it's just a matter of convenience and established routine. Occasionally, I don't have time, skip the shower, and the shave is generally just as good. And I don't soak my beard for three minutes either. I just do my usual splashes of warm water on my face and start lathering.
Regards,
Gordon
Couldn't have said it any better, G. Though not always, I sometimes shave twice a day, once with a shower and once without. As long as I do my prep right and after nearly 45 years of it I think I got it right, I see no difference.
Regards,
David
Dale

Post by Dale »

desertbadger wrote:
bernards66 wrote:I usually shave after a shower, but it's just a matter of convenience and established routine. Occasionally, I don't have time, skip the shower, and the shave is generally just as good. And I don't soak my beard for three minutes either. I just do my usual splashes of warm water on my face and start lathering.
Regards,
Gordon
Couldn't have said it any better, G. Though not always, I sometimes shave twice a day, once with a shower and once without. As long as I do my prep right and after nearly 45 years of it I think I got it right, I see no difference.
Ditto for me. I just hold a hot, wet wash cloth to my face for 10 seconds or so and then commence lathering.
Regards,
Dale
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

I personally like showering first to get rid of all the oil and dirt before shaving and it does wonders to saturate your face with the hottest water possible imho before you shave

:twisted:
Have a wonderful shaving day
FritzIndustries

Post by FritzIndustries »

It seems like you would be fine either way but a shower always makes things go smoother and easier
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Dale wrote:
desertbadger wrote:
Regards,
Gordon
Ditto for me. I just hold a hot, wet wash cloth to my face for 10 seconds or so and then commence lathering.
Dale, if you haven't tried this before you might want to give it a whirl. Fill the sink with the towel in it with very warm water. Sprinke a small of amount of A/S (your choice; I use Bay Rum because of it's barber shoppy scent) in the water with the towel. Wring out towel and place on face and presto! It doesn't do a damn thing for the stubble, just something a little "extra" for your senses... :)
Regards,
David
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Seems like our prep is as varied as we individuals are as a group, which is quite diverse and makes the dialog that much richer.
Regards,
Squire
LGWapnitsky

Post by LGWapnitsky »

What is this "shower" thing you are all talking about? :lol:

I'm back on the boards after who-knows-how-many months, and I start off with a wise-ass remark...
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

I always shower before I shave. If I don't have time for both (can't remember the last time that happened), I'll skip the shave.
Take care and God bless,
Steve