Switched to wet+DE, face cleared, then went bad again…

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
GoClick

Switched to wet+DE, face cleared, then went bad again…

Post by GoClick »

So I'm about to turn 27 and I'm getting really sick of my face looking like I'm turning 17. The only way I seem to be able to de-hair my face without getting horrible bumps (hundreds of little white heads) and a rash that is red and burns is if I keep it scruffy and just trim use the sideburns trimmer on my electric. Then I have no issues, however then I look like a hobo instead of a kid. Neither option is particularly desirable in the workplace as I neither work at McDonalds nor am I a lumberjack.

For the last ~2 months I've been shaving every 2 or 3 days by squirting foam from a can into a terrible $7 brush and using a 2 blade disposable razor and throwing it away every time (they go dull in one shave, even a Fusion does in one or two shaves). I tried Mach 3 and Fusion and both were terrible. The Fusion shredded my poor face and I actually had to stay home from work twice trying that and it was expensive.

So using the disposable was better than the electric (shaver not sideburn trimmer) and using a brush to apply rather than my hand helped about 50% and really took care of the small whiteheads and rash leaving only the big red bumps which are sometimes white headed and sometimes not.

So decided to try and go further, I watched some YouTube videos and then found a DE razor, bought some blades (the only ones I could find so I don't know if they're any good) and gave it a shot.

The first two days I tried the Crabtree & Evelyn cream for the first two days but found that it was hard to lather and I didn't like the sandalwood smell. Today I tried Proraso and it was much easier to get a nice this smooth lather up, I liked the smell and I found it lubricated well. Which is good because if it didn't lubricate well I think I'd be in world of hurt.

I took a set of photos at day 0 (before switching to the DE and cream) after 1 day my skin was much clearer, like I hadn't shaved at all, 2 days my skin was a little clearer stil and then the 3rd day I work up it got worse again and didn't improve through the 3rd day, as though I'd gone back to the disposable. I decided to shave with the Proraso anyways and it didn't seem to make it any worse but I'm sad that I've gone backwards. To be clear my face regressed BEFORE I tried the Proraso.

I have photos from before I began and about 8 hours after shaving today with the Proraso.

Zero day photos

Chin

Left

Right

And then today, remember it got worse between shaves 2 and 3, 3 made it no worse at all. I felt no real irritation after any of my DE shaves. Between shaves 1 and 2 my skin cleared in the most impressive way I could have imagined, it was nearly completely clear.

Chin

Left

Right

The trashy low budget products I'm using (it's all I can really afford right now)

Also, a family member said I should just consider electrolysis or laser hair removal for my face, and that I wouldn't have to worry about this anymore in the long run it would be cheaper, though painful and expensive in the short term… insights?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Welcome to SMF, many people are here on the forum for some of the same reasons you are experiencing.

Just a couple of things for you to consider:

- your equipment is fine, your Tech razor is a very good gentle razor to start with, Proraso Shaving Cream is a wet shaving standard and your brush and blades are fine.
- prep your face thoroughly, use a gentle cleanser, plenty of hot water get your face as well hydrated as possible.
- shave with or across the grain of you beard for the first while, never against - this will help get your face used to the DE blade and razor and will be a little easier. You might have a little stubble left in a few spots but eventually you will figure out how to deal with this. Take a look and remember your beard growth pattern to plan your strokes. At this stage do not try to shave to close, getting better shaves will come once you get your technique perfected.
- no pressure, let the razor and blade rest on your face with gravity only with a proper shaving angle. Use short controlled strokes.
- you may want to look at some different after shave treatments to help sterilize and close your pores after shaving, given your sensitive skin this may be a bit challenging, I would suggest using Thayers Medicated Superhazel (you can find this on line or at Wholefoods) right after you shave followed by a light application of your after shave balm.
- I would also do a gentle face wash, Thayers and light moisturizer every evening.
- keep the head of your razor and blade as clean as possible, rinse well with hot water, change the blade frequently.

Hope this will help, keep posting to let us know how you are coming along.
Good shaving,

Gary
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

Ok, my razor burn is way worse than that. I have found that improper technique and a dull razor blade will definately have an affect on my shave. As an example I got what I thought was a wonderfully close shave this past Sunday. It was so good I was going to post my results here. Then Monday came and I found that after work my stubble was growing in faster than it should. By Tuesday I had a nice irritation on my neck that has not cleared up yet. My only thoughts could be that the blade I was using has dulled and it required more force than I should have used to get the close shave that I wanted.

Another thought is that you may try shaving with one pass only to help get your face used to the DE.

More than likely these to things should solve your problem.

Hope this helps and Welcome to the Boards!!
95%

Post by 95% »

GoClick, it seems that so many young men come to SMF with issues like yours. Perhaps some of the more experienced members are aware of patterns and can suggest solutions.

Permanent hair removal is an option I'd keep off the table.

I suggest you take a holiday from shaving until your skin is completely healed. Gary's suggestions make a great deal of sense. The skin should be well cleansed before you shave. Witch hazel after shaving- any brand if you can't find Thayer's - is a tried-and-true treatment for acne and other minor infections.
Porter
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Good advice so far. On the aftershave treatment, I'll say it depends on your skin for what will work best. For most skin I'd go for witch hazel, an aftershave milk, or a splash with lots of moisturizers like those from The Shave Den or St. Charles Shave. If you have rather oily skin, I'd recommend using an alum block, followed by a moisturizing splash. Dry skin I'd do witch hazel and an aftershave balm.

Remember that the worst thing you can get lazy about is prep. Your skin should be wet for at least 3 minutes before you start shaving. Good lather from a real cream or soap does count as wet. The best time to shave is right after a shower.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
kpf1979

Post by kpf1979 »

GoClick,

Using a DE is one of the gentlest ways you can shave. I’m sorry to hear you experienced a regression of sorts, but as your technique improves, you should experience more and more of the irritation free, skin clearing shaves, as well as fewer of the poor ones.

As others have mentioned, a good shave is as much about your prep, and post shave skin care. I’ll throw in another plug for using a witch hazel. It’s very soothing; it’s also very inexpensive. Your setup of products is fine. Your shaving gear doesn’t have to be pricey to be good. Believe me, I’m on a budget myself. Techs are mild, well respected shavers. Proraso is a great introduction to traditional creams; as a bonus, you can pick it up at Bath and Body Works, rebranded as C.O. Bigelow.

Finally, I will second the suggestion to take a couple days off from shaving to let your face heal. If that’s not possible, I suggest a one, or two pass shave, never going against the grain.

Good luck! Keep the questions coming because there’s a wealth of shaving knowledge on these boards.

-Kevin
Gene

Post by Gene »

I think your Proraso is fine, as is that Tech razor.

The things that come to my mind about your plight so far are:

1) Blades: I can't see what they are, but you wouldn't be the first shaver to have his face chewed up by a blade that didn't work well for him/her. I don't know where you live...but if there is a Wal-Mart nearby you could pick up a pack of the Personna blades. 10 for less than $2.00. I did when I got back into DE shaving...and found them serviceable.

2) Angle of the razor on your face: In an effort to get your whiskers if you allow the angle of the razor to become too steep you will definitely get razor burn. If you have not done so, try this...take your razor and set it on your arm with the top of your razor resting on your arm...making an inverted "T". Then let the razor slowly rotate until you see the blade just touch your arm. This is the angle I work for...and I can tell you it can be hard keeping that consistent. You need to lock your wrist, and make your shaving movements more arm based than wrist flicks (well, I do, anyway).

3) Pressure: Too much is a bad thing. If you bear down too much watch out! I like to feel I am just letting the blade make the smallest connection with my face possible, and letting it skim over my face.

I don't have any thoughts on aftershaves, etc. That will become a personal thing, too. I like non-alcohol and alcohol based aftershaves, balms, gels, pretty much anything.

Good luck...keep us informed on your progress!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

...and if I could add one more thing to Gene's insight...healing.

Those bumps are going to have to heal. That takes time. Irritation will keep them around longer.

If you have a Wal-Mart nearby, try a BumpFighter razor. Sure, the shave stinks -- not close at all, but close enough that you won't get bumps or irritation. Still, you'll feel stubble and your shadow will come back quicker...

Do that for a few days. Then, once you are bumpless, try it again.

You might also try some of the anti-bump creams out there, or just dose yourself with zit cream each night. Those will help keep the little infections down.

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Magnus6208

Post by Magnus6208 »

Gene wrote:
3) Pressure: Too much is a bad thing. If you bear down too much watch out! I like to feel I am just letting the blade make the smallest connection with my face possible, and letting it skim over my face.
Take this advice to heart...nothing itrrates my face like using too much pressure.

best,

Gary
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I’ve been wet-shaving (primarily with a DE) for decades. Along the way, especially when I tried cartridges, I would get trouble with ingrowns.

The following is the regimen that I personally have found helpful. Perhaps some of it might be useful to you. Some of my advice is a bit different from what others have posted already; sorry if it's confusing, but as I say this is what has worked for me.

Btw, all the prior advice about no pressure and blade angle is excellent, and should be adhered to, regardless of what regimen you follow.

1) As indicated, use a DE with a light touch. Shave with the grain only. If (as it appears) you are using an older Gillette DE, that's probably a good choice of razor for you.

2) Use a mild blade like a Derby or an Israeli. I feel the super-sharp blades (like Feather) tend to slice the hair to a super-sharp pointed-tip (likely to become ingrown), which can be a real problem for someone in your situation. Your photo appeared to be of Wilkinsons; which should be OK, but you might "dial it down" to a Derby or an Israeli blade.

3) Soak your beard with warm water and a washcloth for a couple of minutes before shaving. I found that soaking a wash cloth tended to sort of "lift" the ingrowns out of the pores. In my experience, it also softens the beard, making it a softer, stretchier target. Don't use super-hot water, just a gently-warmed, wet towel ought to provide some beard-softening and ingrown-reduction.

4) Consider an excellent hard shave soap, rather than the Proraso. This particular suggestion is likely to be a bit controversial around here, and (don't get me wrong) Proraso IS a fine product. It's just that I have a hunch that the residual oil from any cream (Proraso included) may tend to aggravate your bumps, ingrown hairs, and overall situation. I’d suggest Tabac, Harris, or Valobra. AOS is also quite good.

5) Overall, for the next weeks and months, consider getting by with a less than BBS shave. Just a pass or two with the grain, and don't worry if it isn't absolutely the closest thing ever.

Finally, I've had very good luck with the product at this link for the occasional ingrown that still comes along. You can use it after shaving as a skin treatment. I think the combination of salicylic acid and glycolic acid is excellent for ingrowns. Maybe it'll help you too (but it wouldn't hurt to discuss it with a dermatologist).

http://skincarerx.com/La-Roche-Posay-Bi ... ution.html

Good luck!
GoClick

Post by GoClick »

Tech razor eh? I didn't know, it's just the one my grandmother lent me from my grandfather's “stuff” I have to give it back once I get my own. :(

I spent a bunch of time trying to find Witch Hazel but this town stinks for that kind of stuff; so I'll have to order it off the Interwebs when I get my birthday money and order my razor and stuff. Also I don't know if it's just my Wal-Mart, city or country but Wal-Mart didn't have any DE razor blades.

The Clear Skin is antiseptic and astringent so I'm using to close pores and prevent little infections after shaving now, it's really for cleaning, and it does that too.

Right now I'm just doing a single pass down. The angle sure tricky, that'll take a lot of practice. I'm showering first, and then soaking with a really hot towel.

I don't care about stubble in the least for now, it's less than using a sideburn trimmer!

The only blades I've been able to find are Wilkinson Sword and Gillette both are $10 for 10 blades. Which is more gentle?
95%

Post by 95% »

GoClick, witch hazel is often shelved in the "first aid" section of drug stores.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

GoClick, Generally, I'd recommend following BeatleFan's advice although I don't know as all creams are as potentially problematic as Proraso. But, in any case, I would strongly advise against using either of those blades. They're not only absurdly expensive, but neither is very good, and the store bought Gillettes in the US are atrocious. Go to our Sales/Trades section and see if someone would send you a few Israeli Personnas or similiar. I think you're wise to be taking it easy, as you're currently doing. First things first, and all that. BTW, you skin situation is not nearly as severe as many we have seen, so you're doing okay and are on the right path.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wonderful advice you're getting. If you'll send me a PM with your address, I've got at least two packages of the Walmart Personnas I will send you, if you want them. I might find a couple of packs of Derbys laying around too. If there's a health food store in your area, those are a good source of things such as witch hazel, possibly even Thayer's, and they sometimes sell different varieties of shaving cream such as Kiss My Face, which some of the guys speak favorably of, in case you use wish to alternate with the Proraso from time to time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GoClick

Post by GoClick »

I did find Kiss My Face, but all they had was mint :(

I'm going to try another Wal-Mart today in the "old folks" part of town and see what they have. Otherwise, yes I'll PM you.

I went to 3 of the most trusted health food and medication stores, the one that actually had the Witch Hazel was sold out and won't have any for a month :(

"Why is everyone asking for that now? Nobody used to ask for that." hrmmm
druphus

Post by druphus »

Hang in there GoClick. Its going to take some time, but if you avoid irritation you should see steady progress. You might go on-line and order a blade sampler pack.
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

That's incredible. Even here in Tampa, which is hardly a wetshaver's mecca, every chain drugstore has Dickinson's Witch Hazel ( which is just fine, BTW ) and the health food emporiums all have Thayer's. Good grief!
Regards,
Gordon
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

another way to soften the beard and get ur face ready to take a shower b4 u shave, and apply some conditioner and let it soak in during ur shower. i do this and it helps soften the stubble a lot.

hth,
-R
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
95%

Post by 95% »

Rahul, I've been on that hair conditioner trip but found it unnecessary. I wash my face in the shower with a high-quality English shaving soap - whichever one is feeling neglected in my rotation - because shaving soap has exactly the sort of mild, non-detergent ingredients that prepare the beard for shaving without irritating the skin.
Porter
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

One thing a lot of people forget is to use clean towels and washcloths after the shave. Your face has just had a top layer of skin effectively removed and is highly susceptible to bacterial infection. Change linens everday if you have to, and also make sure your pillowcases are clean. It's kind of like washing your hands in the bathroom and then touching the filthy door handle on the way out.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.